Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:26:40 AM
714261 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Seven Words You Can't Say On TV « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Seven Words You Can't Say On TV  (Read 4045 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: January 01, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »

Sixty years ago people cringed at hearing someone say f**k, but no one flinched at the word n****r. Today it's the other way around. I think we still have seven words you can't say on television, it's just those words have changed. We haven't changed, we still recoil, but the words, yes, the words have changed.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 05:30:51 PM »

People flinched at the word n****r. Just not (some) white people. "Colored" was the polite term 60 years ago. (I don't know that you could ever say n****r on TV).

I wish f**k would go out of fashion. The word has lost all its power. When there are no taboos, there's no taboo-breaking.

It's much more rational to have taboos about hateful ethnic slurs than natural sex acts or "dirty" body parts.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 03:47:19 AM »

Oddly enough on a christian movie channel they showed blazing saddles and ni--er was ok on it,  but the campfire scene had the sound effects cut and lily von schtupp was censored.  So was the lights out scene.

Other channels block ni--er and fa--ot but not anything else.

I remembered seeing it in a normally christian channel was a shock to me.  So was censoring the campfire scene.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »

I find myself split in two ways on the subject of offensive language. I love words, so as I think Reverend Powell was saying, I find satisfaction when words have enough power to actually convey the strong message they can sometimes be meant to convey, meaning it's good we have words that can actually reach out above the everyday and be shocking in themselves just as it's good to have words that stir feelings of love and pride and other strong emotions.

On the other hand, I place a huge value on free expression, and don't like being told that any words are off the table. We shrink at certain words no differently than our forebears did, only the words have (sometimes) changed.

But then again I actually don't like most crude language in everyday life, and think tact is also to be valued. So being able to say something but knowing when not to is a cornerstone of good manners and the best of both worlds.

Make sense?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:09:19 AM by ER » Logged

Pacman000
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:00:02 PM »

People flinched at the word n****r. Just not (some) white people. "Colored" was the polite term 60 years ago. (I don't know that you could ever say n****r on TV).

I wish f**k would go out of fashion. The word has lost all its power. When there are no taboos, there's no taboo-breaking.

It's much more rational to have taboos about hateful ethnic slurs than natural sex acts or "dirty" body parts.
Brian's Song used N* quite a bit. Shocked me. (That was a TV movie, wasn't it?) Of course, within context, the word's use made sense. And it was obviously a bad word in the context of the movie.

I'm generally against treating sexual acts casually, so I'd nix F* too. Some words, like Dick, can be hard to handle since our language has changed over time.  :/
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »

When I used to work on 617, there was talk of a remake of 'The Dambusters'. It ended up not happening mostly down to the fact that Guy Gibson had a dog called n****r. The script writers wanted to change the name (to Trigger or Digger), while whoever was producing, or holding the rights to the film wanted them it to be historically accurate and refused them permission to change it. The movie got stuck on this point and to the best of my knowledge is still stuck in development hell.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pacman000
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »

Out of curiosity, what are the 7 words?

The seven dirty words are seven English-language words that American comedian George Carlin first listed in 1972 in his monologue "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television". The words are: shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.
Seven dirty words - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

Thanks, Google.
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »

Oddly enough on a christian movie channel they showed blazing saddles and ni--er was ok on it,  but the campfire scene had the sound effects cut and lily von schtupp was censored.  So was the lights out scene.

Other channels block ni--er and fa--ot but not anything else.

I remembered seeing it in a normally christian channel was a shock to me.  So was censoring the campfire scene.

Whenever I see Blazing Saddles on TV, I am baffled at what is censored and what is not. 
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »

I think n****r might be the one word I've ever known Turner Classic Movies to bleep out, even in a context that was making the person who said it look like he had two brain cells on leave from the older sister who gave birth to him. I also know the makers of Gone With the Wind reassured representatives of the Negro community the word would not be used in the film, and it wasn't.

If you know a word is genuinely going to hurt someone, try not to use it, but if you go around claiming it offends you, don't say you have fair right to use it yourself whenever you feel like it. (Which goes on a lot.)

You know, it's odd, I don't think that word is as loathed in Ireland as elsewhere, because I've heard it there many times, and never exactly in a mean context. Like in the Tiger years my Uncle Denis and I were walking past a bunch of Polish workers, and he said, "Finally somebody around is here more n****r than we are."

In the recent past the Irish still self-deprecatingly called themselves n****rs. I asked Magda about it and she said, "Use it all you want, it belongs to us after we've been called that for so long."

I asked her why exactly I'd want to paint myself with a disparaging word, and she said because it's liberating. At least she doesn't claim to be offended by a word she sometimes used to describe herself.

Too many rules in this world.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 02:59:32 PM »

But then again I actually don't like most crude language in everyday life, and think tact is also to be valued. So being able to say something but knowing when not to is a cornerstone of good manners and the best of both worlds.
I think tact is the cornerstone of class. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Seven Words You Can't Say On TV « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.