Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:10:31 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Death of stalin question « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death of stalin question  (Read 2265 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 01, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »

Ok people here obviously love "the death of stalin" and while I haven';t seen it there is one thing I wanted to know.

Did it debunk the lie religious propagandists have spread for years about stalin dying in a bed surrounded by people who claim that he looked up, pointed at the ceiling and said "it's all true, god, heaven, it's all true" then died.

That lie has been going on for a long time and I hope this movie exploded it.

Near as anyone can tell, and the real truth may never fully be known, stalin died in his private quarters most likely from a stroke, and had left orders not to be disturbed, it was therefore a while before anyone had the guts to open the door and find him on the floor in his own urine. As his hangers on were standing in shock the cleaning lady came in, pushed his corpse asides and began cleaning up  the stain on the floor.

That;s one version often accepted as true. Some others claimed he was alive but helpless and died after several days in bed, but only religious propagandists have ever spread the lie he claimed to have seen heaven.

BTW, if people like the death of stalin, they might want to try "Look who's back".

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »

Honestly I don't remember but I really don't think so. If I recall, no one was in the room when Stalin died and they found his body later.

Stories of atheists recanting on their deathbeds are common and almost always poorly sourced or made up.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »

First of all, I have NEVER heard that rumor from anyone, and, as I've mentioned before, I've moved in evangelical circles my whole life.
So it's apparently neither widespread nor widely accepted.
Second - I've read a few biographies of Stalin (my favorite is STALIN: AT THE COURT OF THE RED TSAR), and they all agree that he did suffer a stroke alone in his rooms, but was alive when they found him the next morning.  The movie did portray accurately, albeit with a comedic twist, the antics that followed: a majority vote of the Central Committee simply to move him to his bed, a frantic quest to find a doctor when Stalin had purged the medical profession in Moscow, and the fact that he briefly regained consciousness once or twice, but was unable to speak. He did point to something near the end, but no one could be sure if he was pointing at the painting on the wall, or at one of the Politburo members standing at the foot of his bed.

At any rate, he died, and if there is any justice in the universe, descended into the lowest bowels of hell, where he and Hitler take turns having their genitalia gnawed off by flaming eels over and over for all eternity.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »

First of all, I have NEVER heard that rumor from anyone, and, as I've mentioned before, I've moved in evangelical circles my whole life.
So it's apparently neither widespread nor widely accepted.
Second - I've read a few biographies of Stalin (my favorite is STALIN: AT THE COURT OF THE RED TSAR), and they all agree that he did suffer a stroke alone in his rooms, but was alive when they found him the next morning.  The movie did portray accurately, albeit with a comedic twist, the antics that followed: a majority vote of the Central Committee simply to move him to his bed, a frantic quest to find a doctor when Stalin had purged the medical profession in Moscow, and the fact that he briefly regained consciousness once or twice, but was unable to speak. He did point to something near the end, but no one could be sure if he was pointing at the painting on the wall, or at one of the Politburo members standing at the foot of his bed.

At any rate, he died, and if there is any justice in the universe, descended into the lowest bowels of hell, where he and Hitler take turns having their genitalia gnawed off by flaming eels over and over for all eternity.

Eels?  Please.  Honey babdgers at the least. Honey badgers make eels look like that cute little talking worm in Labrynth...

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 11:35:13 PM »

As to deathbed acceptance of christianic views, many claim that a lot of famous non believers had such. Darwin, hitchens and LeVay have all had rumors about such conversions spread about them.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-fantasy-of-the-deathbed-conversion

An actual quote from svetlana, stalin's daughter, about his death was as follows:

“The death agony was terrible. God grants an easy death only to the just. He literally choked to death as we watched. At what seemed like the very last moment he suddenly opened his eyes and cast a glance over everyone in the room. It was a terrible glance, insane or perhaps angry and full of fear of death. . .Then something incomprehensible and terrible happened that to this day I can’t forget. . .He suddenly lifted his left hand as though he were pointing to something up above and bring down a curse on us all. The gesture was incomprehensible and full of menace. . .The next moment, after a final effort, the spirit wrenched itself free of the flesh.”

Svetlana hated her father and embraced catholicism, some interpret her words as stalin seeing the christianic afterlife and trying to warn others a terrible fate awaited them. Others there did not confirm the story. Some believe he was trying to speak and making a hand gesture as he did in speeches. he was dying, after all.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »

I remember that quote from her!
I've heard the Darwin myth, and it is exactly that.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 02:38:21 AM »

What I said about honeybadgers was no myth...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v3WjnLn9p3U

As to Svetlana, she moved to Wisconsin, where I doubt she ever had to stand in line to buy milk again...

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Death of stalin question « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.