Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:44:41 PM
713352 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Shows that jump the camel « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shows that jump the camel  (Read 4454 times)
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 04, 2019, 03:45:11 PM »

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the term Jump the Shark, a point in a TV show life when it has unequivocally become a dumpster fire. But usually a show's degradation is more gradual than that. Perhaps an annoying character is introduced and becomes more prominently featured as episodes go by. Or a once promising theme or storyline fails to pan out. The realization that your once favorite show is now a disaster may ultimately come about from something fairly trivial, the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back. So how did shows you once liked jump the camel for you?

I'll start out with Supernatural. Initially I liked the way it combined spook lore and Americana. The fact that it was way better at evoking the spirit of Kolchak than the official Kolchak remake that came out the same year was also a point in its favor. But then problems slowly cropped up. The Demon War storyline was problematic from the start, as not many writers are capable of doing religious-themed horror well. So having it become increasingly central to the series was troubling. Attempts to ratchet up the Challenge Rating of the episodes only served to make the Winchester Boys come off as increasingly incompetent. Then there was the use of third act twists. The first few times they were employed, they were capably handled. But they became increasingly implausible the more they were used. The one that made me give up occurred in the episode with the stage magicians. The twist for that one was so absurd, M. Night Shyamalan would have been too ashamed to use it.
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »

never watched it but even i know that show had bobby ewing's death be a dream. Yeah, no.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 08:12:02 AM »

The show that has most recently jumped the camel, shark or whatever, is DOCTOR WHO..this most recent season has been the WORST in the show's 55 year history. From the God-awful miscasting of the female Doctor to the Sesame Street PC police writing, it has been one big s**t-show of the lowest order sadly. They need to fire Jodie Whitaker's permanantly constipated-looking Doctor along with the talentless companions and SJW producer..if not, then just cancel the damn thing as it is a travesty as it stands now.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »

Can you show me on the doll where the SJW touched you?

Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 07:06:17 PM »

He tried to "touch" me in my area that smells bulls**t, which is I why I resent that. I dont need a dickhead to preach to me, on a television show or anywhere else. Especially when he and his lead actress practice much of the same injustices that they rail against only in reverse. Please save your sarcasm for your usual victims.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:08:43 PM by Ticonderoga 64 » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 01:32:35 PM »

M*A*S*H.
After Trapper John and MacClean Stevenson left the show, it turned to s**t. Klinger even stopped wearing his dress! And Frank left!
Didn't help that it stopped being funny and turned into a Preach Fest.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:35:37 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »

M*A*S*H.
After Trapper John and MacClean Stevenson left the show, it turned to s**t. Klinger even stopped wearing his dress! And Frank left!
It was always a "preach fest" as far as I'm concerned.  I think the show got better in the later years, and I always liked DAVID OGDEN STIERS (Charles) the best.  I also preferred HARRY MORGAN as the C.O. to McLEAN STEVENSON (who later stated his biggest career mistake was leaving the show. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »

Funnily enough, New Who was another show that jumped the camel for me. Initially I enjoyed it, as the stories were predominantly good and the upgrade in production values was nice. But niggling issues began to pile up. First I thought Rose was a rather mediocre Companion, and it was a relief when Martha replaced her. Another thing that bugged me was having the Doctor and Companion have romantic yearnings for each other, which sadly continued with Martha. Then there were the season finales, which pretty much always got resolved by hitting a reset button. While the one for the third season was particularly obnoxious, it was the fourth season finale which drove me over the edge. They make a big deal over it featuring the characters from Sarah Jane and Torchwood, only to sideline those characters almost immediately and have them contribute exactly jack squat.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:19:26 PM »

You know I watched the battlestar galactica reboot and thought it jumped the shark a couple times,  like the "bucket drop" scene ....

https://youtu.be/evodPpqb9H4

Or the whole "final 5" thing.

But both times the series recovered.

Then in the last half of the last episode,  the show covered itself in bloody fish guts,  the a running start and jumped directly into the shark's mouth while yelling "LEEEEERRROOOOOY JENNNNNNKIIIIIINS"!  at the top of its lungs...  Buggedout Bluesad  Hatred

quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »

M*A*S*H.
It was always a "preach fest" as far as I'm concerned.  I think the show got better in the later years, and I always liked DAVID OGDEN STIERS (Charles) the best.  I also preferred HARRY MORGAN as the C.O. to McLEAN STEVENSON (who later stated his biggest career mistake was leaving the show. 

I definitely prefer the later years of M*A*S*H and the later cast.  Most of all Winchester was a much more interesting character than Frank Burns.  I think the jump the shark/camel time for the show was when they got a lot more experimental.  They did an episode in real time, and episode from a first person perspective, and the surreal dream episode.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »

Law and order. I understand that jerry orbach wasn't immortal, had cancer,  had to retire and died not long after.

The show never  really filled the void he left,  no one really measured up to him.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Shows that jump the camel « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.