Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:33:26 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bible Verse of the Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Author Topic: Bible Verse of the Day  (Read 43718 times)
Pacman000
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »

(Haven't read the last page in this thread.)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+5%3A15-20&version=ESV

Not something from the bible, but it seems appropriate. Why be thought of as an idiot when you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
I think something similar is in there, somewhere in proverbs.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »

(Haven't read the last page in this thread.)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+5%3A15-20&version=ESV

Not something from the bible, but it seems appropriate. Why be thought of as an idiot when you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
I think something similar is in there, somewhere in proverbs.

Biblical erotica, I love it. Think I'll get that done in a needlepoint sampler and hang it above our bed. Make my husband recite it before nookie.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:16:14 AM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »

John 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

I must admit, to me this verse has always hinted at some existing belief in reincarnation, since despite Jesus' reply in the next verse, why would the possibility of this man having been born blind because of his own sin be raised? How could someone be punished for his own sins at birth unless he had lived before? Puzzling.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

John 9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

I must admit, to me this verse has always hinted at some existing belief in reincarnation, since despite Jesus' reply in the next verse, why would the possibility of this man having been born blind because of his own sin be raised? How could someone be punished for his own sins at birth unless he had lived before? Puzzling.
Back when I was a teenager, I believed in reincarnation. Of course I was into anything supernatural, mystic,or occult.
Perhaps Purgatory and Reincarnation are the same thing. Isn't purgatory the limbo between Heaven and Hell? Wouldn't that be Earth?  Question
Like- "He's not a Evil man. But he ain' no Saint! Let's throw him in a new body and give him another shot at it!"
If you keep f**king up, they turn you into a cow.  Bluesad
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:28:46 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2019, 10:37:47 AM »

Proverbs 23

31 Do not gaze at wine when it is red,
    when it sparkles in the cup,
    when it goes down smoothly!
32 In the end it bites like a snake
    and poisons like a viper.
33 Your eyes will see strange sights,
    and your mind will imagine confusing things.
34 You will be like one sleeping on the high seas,
    lying on top of the rigging.
35 “They hit me,” you will say, “but I’m not hurt!
    They beat me, but I don’t feel it!
    When will I wake up
    so I can find another drink?"

Always had a soft spot for this one...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »

Not sure about the other versions of christianity, but Catholicism certainly once believed in reincarnation from what I've read.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »

I think this verse is merely meant to illustrate the apostles' ignorance about the basic nature of suffering in the world. If they believed in the possibility of reincarnation, Jesus shuts them down:

9:3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him..."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pacman000
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2019, 12:29:48 PM »

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians+5%3A13-16&version=HCSB
Pacman000
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2019, 12:41:29 PM »

https://www.catholic.com/tract/reincarnation

If this is right, Catholics did not, in large numbers, believe in reincarnation. It was never brought up before a church council, & the main ancient author cited as supporting it spent most of his time arguing against it.

I imagine some individuals believed in it, otherwise no one would've written against it, but I can't say it was ever a significant part of early Christian teachings.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »

From what I read it was the whole second coming and the reincarnation of Jesus. Not a generalised reincarnation available to everyone in the Buddest sense. It was some years ago I was looking into it, but if you are interested I'll see if I can dig up the sources.

Random aside. According to a poll in 'The Tablet' 40% of modern Catholics believe in reincarnation for all.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:54:23 PM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2019, 04:02:59 PM »

From what I read it was the whole second coming and the reincarnation of Jesus. Not a generalised reincarnation available to everyone in the Buddest sense. It was some years ago I was looking into it, but if you are interested I'll see if I can dig up the sources.

Random aside. According to a poll in 'The Tablet' 40% of modern Catholics believe in reincarnation for all.

Reincarnation as in being resurrected into a renewed body, or in the transmigratory sense?

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »

From the article, being born into a new body. 1% also said they didn't believe in heaven, 3% didn't believe in the virgin birth and 9% refute the existence of hell.

Now, my head has ran off on a completely different tangent where I am wondering if the church is so against the pill, why is their newspaper called The Tablet?

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2019, 06:54:34 PM »

One of the notes in my study Bible said that rabbinical teachings in Jesus' time allowed for the possibility of sin in utero.
Weird thought!  "You kicked mommy's bladder one time too many!!"

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »

One of the notes in my study Bible said that rabbinical teachings in Jesus' time allowed for the possibility of sin in utero.
Weird thought!  "You kicked mommy's bladder one time too many!!"

No offense Indy,but thats just bats**t crazy.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:38:45 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2019, 08:43:18 PM »

Jesus apparently thought so too.  TeddyR

(Note: I didn't say I believed that! LOL)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bible Verse of the Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.