Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:47:36 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Satire, a dying art? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Satire, a dying art?  (Read 4709 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 24, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »

Ok first off let's separate satire of om parody.

Satire is Dr. Strangelove.  Tbat was the epitome of satire.

Parody is Meet the spartans, scary movie,  vampires suck,  ad nauseum.

Satire is hard,  satire requires wit and intelligence. Not a lot of peolle can do satire.

Parody is easy. Parody just requires snark and hatefulness.  Snark is so easy monkeys can do it,  and I think a lot are.

Itcs hard to name a good satire movie. Dr. Strangelove remains the apex of the artform 50 years after it was made .

So,  is satire  a dying art or just going underground? Can you name some good modern satires?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »

the LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960)
BUCKET OF BLOOD (1959)
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974)
the FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS (1967)
DEATHRACE 2000 (1975)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »

From this past year, THE DEATH OF STALIN and SORRY TO BOTHER YOU.

WAG THE DOG (1997) is a great slightly older (but still very relevant) political satire.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:06:52 PM »

The Hitler movie LOOK WHO'S BACK.
I thought GRIND HOUSE was satire.
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN too.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »

I suppose "look who's back" counts too.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »

Satire is a tricky thing.
The old Mad Magazine was satire.
And if a parody is good- (like AIRPLANE), then what the hell?
Then they're is DR. STRANGELOVE, a fantastic movie, which was a very dark humor.

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:45:11 PM »

The problem is "satire" has become a defense against criticism.   Anyone and everyone seems to claim to be satire of something when their called on their incompetence.  Like how CinemaSins claims to be satire of nitpicking critics instead admitting that their actually nitpicky critics and that their terrible channel isn't meant to be taken seriously.    And when Alex Jones was called out on his rants, he used the defense of he's satire of political ranters.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 07:29:53 PM »

"Election" was a satire I used to like at the turn of the century. That's not too far back, is it?

Interesting topic. I think maybe the current repressive thought-climate does not nurture satire. The wheel may turn, we'll see.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »

Idiocracy (although time is showing it to be more prophecy than satire)

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
TensionSplice
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 12:11:15 AM »

I thought Starship Troopers (1997) and Starship Troopers 3 (2008) were entertaining satires. Starship Troopers 3 may not have got the best reviews, but it was on the noes enough that it seems to have managed to convince many viewers that it was earnestly promoting the type of fundamentalist religious beliefs that it was trying to skewer. It is also the only B-movie action/sci-fi religious satire that I can remember watching.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 12:32:07 AM »

The problem is "satire" has become a defense against criticism.   Anyone and everyone seems to claim to be satire of something when their called on their incompetence.  Like how CinemaSins claims to be satire of nitpicking critics instead admitting that their actually nitpicky critics and that their terrible channel isn't meant to be taken seriously.    And when Alex Jones was called out on his rants, he used the defense of he's satire of political ranters.

Yeah,  I got tired of cinema sins when they sinned star trek  2 because deforest Kelley was in the credits.  Buggedout

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 09:27:19 AM »

I thought Starship Troopers (1997) and Starship Troopers 3 (2008) were entertaining satires. Starship Troopers 3 may not have got the best reviews, but it was on the noes enough that it seems to have managed to convince many viewers that it was earnestly promoting the type of fundamentalist religious beliefs that it was trying to skewer. It is also the only B-movie action/sci-fi religious satire that I can remember watching.

I have to agree on STARSHIP TROOPERS.
By no means meant to be taken seriously.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »

I'll be the first to mention Blazing Saddles, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, The Great Dictator and Network.

And I love Dr. Strangelove. This movie works on so many levels. It also showed me that when done right, anything can be funny even nuclear war.

The reason satire films are dying today is because of the crap Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer have made.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »

Best in Show, A Mighty Wind

I love Christopher Guest's mockumentaries (especially A MIGHTY WIND), but are they really satire? what hypocrisy and/or corruption are they actually exposing? IMO they are more like very deftly handled parodies.

I don't really agree with OP that parody is 'easy'. It may be easy to do it badly, but I think a parody can be just as sharp and intricately observed as any satire.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:39:12 AM by zombie no.one » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »

Best in Show, A Mighty Wind

I love Christopher Guest's mockumentaries (especially A MIGHTY WIND), but are they really satire? what hypocrisy and/or corruption are they actually exposing? IMO they are more like very deftly handled parodies.

I don't really agree with OP that parody is 'easy'. It may be easy to do it badly, but I think a parody can be just as sharp and intricately observed as any satire.

Interesting question. I think SPINAL TAP was definitely a satire on the music industry and selling out. Like Zombie, I'm not sure what A MIGHTY WIND is satirizing, though. I don't think it's much of a parody, either; I'd classify it just as a regular comedy. Haven't seen BEST IN SHOW.

I do somewhat agree with Svengoolie that parody is "easy," or rather, lazy. The jokes often write themselves, and show it. Well-done parodies can be very funny, however, like early Mel Brooks and the Zucker Brothers.

The difference between parody and satire: parody makes fun of a specific genre and it's tropes (AIRPLANE does disaster movies, BLAZING SADDLES takes on Westerns). Satire aims to make fun of human vice (DR. STRANGELOVE argues humanity's obstinence and paranoia will destroy it, NETWORK shows the cost of valuing profits above everything else). Satire is (usually) darker and moralizing.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Satire, a dying art? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.