Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:28 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The FREE PRIZES IN CEREAL/CRACKER JACK/ETC. BOXES THREAD! What do you remember? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The FREE PRIZES IN CEREAL/CRACKER JACK/ETC. BOXES THREAD! What do you remember?  (Read 3527 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« on: February 04, 2019, 03:01:43 AM »

Hey folks.
What free prizes do you remember getting in boxes of cereal?  Or the Toy Surprise in boxes of Cracker Jack?  Or any other box of some sort of consumer product that had a free surprise in it?

The stupid tattoos in Cracker Jack boxes were the cheapest possible thing you could get:

And with your Happy Meal in the mid-80s you got these fairly cool pull-back race cars:

This could also simply be something that came WITH a meal (not necessarily inside a box), like a free glass or mug or something.

Fire away!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:04:43 AM »

I remember visiting family here in SA as a kid and seeing the words "Gratis monster" on a cereal box, thinking excitedly that there was a free monster in the box, only to be told that the Afrikaans words meant "free sample". Bummer.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 06:47:54 AM »

I recall in some cereal boxes ( I don't recall which brand), there were free posters inside of Glenn Strange as the Frankenstein Monster as painted by James Bama and the Creature from the Black Lagoon, by Basil Gogos!
Also on the back of some cereal boxes in the late 60's-early 70's- Archie or the Monkess cardboard records! They played too! Lotsa times they would have pencil erasers shaped like Captain Crunch or the Sugar Bear.
Cracker Jacks, I remember getting whistles or little cowboy or Indian figures. That was in the 60's.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:31:11 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »

Once got a plastic figure of the big bad from 'The Black Cauldron' in a box of cornflakes. He made a handy leader for my undead army in games of WHFB.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:15:25 PM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pacman000
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »

Wonderballs:

Sorry... Small | Large

Sorta like a Kinder Egg, except for the U.S. market. The toy was inside a smaller plastic ball cased in chocolate. Always thought it looked like a choking hazard; guess the FDA agreed with me.

Burger King Pokeballs:

Sorry... Small | Large

Burger King got the license to the hottest kids show of 1999, but the toy they marketed had a problem:

Sorry... Small | Large

The toy was too big to swallow, so it was approved for all ages, but it was just the right size & shape to fit over a kid's mouth & nose. A toddler who slept with one wound up dead.  I don't remember either of these commercials; I just remember seeing a clip on the news about it. Burger King kept the license & produced new, safer toys.

Submarine

Sorry... Small | Large

Never did the baking powder thing, but I think I had one of these; they were still in cereal boxes in the late 90's. I think mine was yellow.

General Mills CD-ROMs

Sorry... Small | Large

These came with a game, an offer for Lightdog filtered internet services, & a collection of digital books, including the Bible, which apparently led to some hullabaloo & eventual recalls.  We had these, & still have them. Didn't know there were books or controversy till I read about the hullabaloo a few years ago.

I also remember jam jars which we'd rinse out & use as glasses; they had cartoon characters on them. And Teeny Beanie Babies from McDonalds, & toys for Disney's Hercules, also from McDonalds.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 07:45:40 PM »

Some bags of Frito corn chips had Frito Bandito pencil erasers. I had one. But they changed to W.C.Frito erasers-I had one of those too.  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 07:52:13 PM »

I have the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, and Wolf Man Burger King toys.  From the 90's, I believe.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 08:39:29 PM »

I have the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, and Wolf Man Burger King toys.  From the 90's, I believe.

Ever look up how much those might be worth to a collector?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 10:15:05 PM »

I recall in some cereal boxes ( I don't recall which brand), there were free posters inside of Glenn Strange as the Frankenstein Monster as painted by James Bama and the Creature from the Black Lagoon, by Basil Gogos!
Also on the back of some cereal boxes in the late 60's-early 70's- Archie or the Monkess cardboard records! They played too! Lotsa times they would have pencil erasers shaped like Captain Crunch or the Sugar Bear.
Cracker Jacks, I remember getting whistles or little cowboy or Indian figures. That was in the 60's.
I kind of remember those!

I remember there being a big Post Cereal tie-in with the Superfriends for a long time.  If you didn't win some sort of sweepstakes (hmm.. there could be a sweepstakes thread too!) top prize you could get a cheapo prize like a Wonder Woman or Batman Frisbee, or something.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 11:45:53 PM »

Well, when I sent in 3 boxtops of this cereal they sent me a spoon just like the one the berserker on the cover is holding...

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
316zombie
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 02:28:29 AM »

tiny little robots with moving arms and legs that were given away by mammoth mart when i was around 9...still have 3 of them.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »

Ever look up how much those might be worth to a collector?

Millions of those were given away-they ain't worth much. I see them at flea markets all the time going for a dollar or less.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 11:01:02 AM »

I had all 4 of those posters... Frankenstein, wolfman (not from the movies) Creature, and...?

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 11:55:02 AM »

I had all 4 of those posters... Frankenstein, wolfman (not from the movies) Creature, and...?
I dunno- I only had the Creature and Frankenstein ones.
I bet I can figure it out, though-! Thumbup
EDIT- the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA as painted by Gogos-the same one used as the little picture in the corner of old Famous Monsters magazine covers.
And they came in Super Sugar Crisp boxes! That's why I had them. Mary Joe would by that stuff all the time. We NEVER had eggs and bacon for breakfast There were 7 kids. We had cereal, oatmeal. Cream of Wheat, or rice and milk.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:18:01 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »

We NEVER had eggs and bacon for breakfast

Cost of a dozen eggs in the 1960s: $0.57. Adjusted to 2019: $4.50  Buggedout
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The FREE PRIZES IN CEREAL/CRACKER JACK/ETC. BOXES THREAD! What do you remember? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.