Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:18:26 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Breaking the fourth wall: A good movie or bad movie thing? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Breaking the fourth wall: A good movie or bad movie thing?  (Read 3412 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 10, 2019, 09:47:39 PM »

A few movies break the fourth wall. Some are bad, maybe some are good.  Do you think breaking the fourth wall is a good or bad thing?

I remember a bad movie called "The flying saucer" that I found someone here asking about and named for him, that broke the fourth wall at the end, that's almost all I remember it for. it was pretty bad.

Deadpool breaks the fourth wall so much he should just jump out  into the audience already. I kinda like deadpool just for parodying the superhero movie genre.

The abominable dr. phibes kinda tapped the fourth wall sometimes, with Vulnavia, the doctor's lovely assistant, sometimes just giving the audience a long look here and there. It was a good movie.

Christian Slater broke it in a cop movie he made that was so bad no one remembers it now.

So, what do you think of breaking the fourth wall?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »

A mixed bag; sometimes it's effective, sometimes it isn't.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:58:19 AM »

Christian Slater broke it in a cop movie he made that was so bad no one remembers it now.

I do: it's called KuffsSmile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:37 AM »

Burt Reynolds had a great one in Smokey and The Bandit where he hides from the cop, grins at us and rides away.

My favourite break is this one from Psycho  Buggedout

Why, she wouldn't even hurt a fly....

claws
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:59:31 AM »

There's a scene in Ax 'Em (1992) where people run around in total chaos, with one of the actors running towards the camera falling on his knees and looking into the camera expressing fear and pain, making direct eye contact with the audience. Since the movie is awful, taking a moment to break the fourth wall to show us how "real" the horror is was just the rofl icing on the rofl cake (movie). At least they achieved something Ineffectively effective   Bluesad
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 04:07:02 AM »

There's a scene in Ax 'Em (1992) where people run around in total chaos, with one of the actors running towards the camera falling on his knees and looking into the camera expressing fear and pain, making direct eye contact with the audience. Since the movie is awful, taking a moment to break the fourth wall to show us how "real" the horror is was just the rofl icing on the rofl cake (movie). At least they achieved something Ineffectively effective   Bluesad

I always get a huge laugh out of the fact that one of the characters in that is called Harry or Bum Number 1  BounceGiggle

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:39:50 AM »

I recall that a lot of Mel Brooks comedies overuse it and it just looks incredibly stupid and unfunny, at least to me. I mean, I do enjoy a lot of Mel Brooks movies but sometimes it gets ridiculous at how much aware the characters are of the comedic nature of the film, which kinda takes away the fun of it.

I do believe that breaking the fourth wall can work, but it has to be at the exact moment and only once, otherwise it's just repeating the same joke, regardless of the content.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 08:43:03 AM »

I agree that it is very much down to the context the joke is used in.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 08:52:00 AM »

I think if the fourth wall is broken, it should be totally unexpected, like the Burt Reynolds one was. I didn't expect him to grin at me after hiding from the cops. TeddyR

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »

Some reporter keeps popping up in the Lugosi film the APE MAN (1943) who is making random statements to the audiance about how strange everything is, and at the ends up with telling us he wrote the movie we just watched.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pacman000
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »

It can be used by good or bad movies.

Do I like it? Depends on how it's used.

I don't mind characters looking at or talking to the audience; it's like the character's making the audience part of the movie.

I used to hate it when a character would reference writers of special FX; that broke my suspension of disbelief.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »

Truth be told...while I think it can be used well...I'm also kind of getting tired of it.  I see too many shows uses the whole meta concept poorly. 

When I see it in a comedy I think it works better, when I've seen a few more serious shows use it, something about it doesn't work as well for me.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 12:02:43 AM »

Of course in Blade runner Declare broke he fourth wall heavily, as was some in a lot of film noir.

There was a movie about Phillip marlowe filmed from the actors POV that was nothing but a fourth wall break as the main character talked to the audience all the way thru.

I think bogart talked to the audeince in "the Maltese falcon"

So yes it was used in some damn god movies.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2019, 05:21:57 PM »

Woody Allen looks at the camera and talks to the audience in LOVE AND DEATH. I think it works well.

Also, Ray Liotta in GOODFELLAS.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 01:51:26 AM »

In the Magnum PI TV series season one, Tom Selleck breaks the fourth wall a few times - especially in the opening credits - and talks to the viewers via narration.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Breaking the fourth wall: A good movie or bad movie thing? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.