Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:55 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  DOYLE: I’m Forced To Do Meet N’ Greets Because ‘Scumbag’ Fans Are Stealing Music « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DOYLE: I’m Forced To Do Meet N’ Greets Because ‘Scumbag’ Fans Are Stealing Music  (Read 1319 times)
claws
« on: February 17, 2019, 02:45:37 AM »

In an interview with The Liquid Conversations, MISFITS guitarist Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein discussed the current state of music industry
saying he only does fan meet-n-greets these days because of financial reasons.

You can read the part of the interview below (as transcribed by Ultimate-Guitar.com):

The Liquid Conversations: Over the years, how has the industry changed and how you had to adapt to it?

Doyle: “The thing that sucks the most about it is that everybody steals music. You spend thousands and thousands of dollars to make a record and all of these scumbags are just stealing it.

“And then they want more, and then you’re a dick because you’re doing a meet ‘n’ greet for 50 f*cking bucks to make up for it, which you don’t want to do. You think I want to meet all these f*cking people? I don’t.

“When I’m done, I just want to take a shower and go to bed. I just worked, so…”

The Liquid Conversations: Looking at that aspect, you feel that people, the fans, put some undue pressure on you because of something like that, because you charge $50 for a meet ‘n’ greet?

“They can kiss my ass. You want to steal sh*t? If I was making motorcycles and they came and took one, would that be a crime? Why can’t we punish people for stealing songs? There should be a $10,000 fine for that.”

The Liquid Conversations: The industry, certain aspects of it protect you, but a lot of it doesn’t. It’s weird because you put so much time and effort into it, and it’s almost like people are literally stealing from you like you said.

“Yeah, they should really f*cking fix that sh*t. Shut the internet down for a day and fix it.”

The Liquid Conversations: With you doing your own stuff with your label, how do you approach that?

“How can I approach that? What can I do? As soon as somebody buys it, where is it? Somewhere where it’s easy for others to steal.”

The Liquid Conversations: You sell it once and everybody just shares it a million times. You mentioned Spotify – it doesn’t even really matter, no one’s making money from it anyway…

Doyle: “You make nothing, it’s $9 a month, and you can listen to a song 10,000 times if you want. If there’s enough time in that month to listen to it 10,000 times, I don’t know…

“I can’t do the math, but how much do you think the bands get? It’s like a hundredth, maybe a thousandth of a penny you get. My girlfriend [ARCH ENEMY singer Alissa White-Gluz] went to their office, said that sh*t was insane. I would’ve went f*cking mental, I would’ve started breaking everything.”

The Liquid Conversations: I’ve had a conversation with a couple of people this year. An artist friend of mine – he’s a drummer with a band – he gets upset when people say, ‘You’re so lucky to do this because you don’t have a real job.’

“Oh yeah? You have to be a f*cking athlete not to do this job.”

The Liquid Conversations: He’s like, ‘How is this not a real job? I’m away from my family all the time.’

“It’s a f*cking important job that should be paid a lot more. We keep everybody from killing each other. We’re the entertainment.

“Without music and movies, what do you have? Chaos. Everybody goes f*cking mental. This ain’t no party man. We live hard, we live rough.”

source: metaladdicts.com

I get what he means, even though social media is making fun of it. Ah well.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:02:08 AM »

People nowadays think they have a right to free entertainment. It's bizarre to me. I sympathize with the artists, not the consumers.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »

Not saying it is wrong for him to complain about this, but it just might put off some people from paying that $50 to do the meet and greet and he may find himself looking for something else to supplement his income. What does interest me is that traditionally, artists made very little money from music sales and made most of their money from touring (although record companies were trying to muscle in on this cash the last time I was involved in music to any degree) and merchandise. Back then, a band might make 9p (about 15 cents), from every CD sold, so I am a little surprised that he is saying that piracy has affected his income to such a large degree.

Still, the internet has changed so many things (for bad and good) in such a quick time that we are all still running to catch up as a society, although it does seem to be getting slowly tamed as governments bring in legislation to control it, tax it and censor it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »

Oy. I say this as a massive Misfits fan:

On one hand I can kinda see where Doyle's coming from, cuz he's been in the music biz for a long time, therefore I can understand his frustration. On the other hand, with this rant he kinda comes off like "old man yells at cloud" because he clearly has no clue how the current music industry, or the Internet, works.

The old saw about how nobody makes money in the music biz anymore because everyone is "downloading it for free" is so 2005. News flash buddy: like it or not, it's a streaming world now. Thanks to Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, YouTube, etc. there isn't much "stealing" going on anymore because it's not necessary.  Yeah, streaming rates for artists are crap, so you should be directing your fury at the people in charge of those services, not your fans (or as you charmingly refer to them, "scumbags" and "those people") who have paid $50 for the privilege of attending a meet and greet, which you clearly don't want to do. God forbid you should actually mingle with the rabble who buy tickets to see you, huh?  Nice attiude.

With all that being said...when was the last Misfits album? Ten years ago? How many songs on that album did Doyle write? Last I checked, his bro Jerry Only was the one who wrote all the songs, and kept the band's name alive all these years, even when Doyle was off doing other stuff. For cryin' out loud, on the last batch of Misfits "reunion" dates they had a second guitarist on stage to back this guy up. If you look at videos of those gigs, it looks like Doyle's guitar isn't even plugged in. He's just there for show.

Besides.. let's be honest, even in the pre-internet, pre-Napster era, the Misfits were a cult band, at best. It's not like they were racking up multi-platinum album sales back in the day, which were then destroyed by the rise of the Internet... and Doyle's solo albums never burned up the Billboard charts either, no matter what decade it was.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:10:47 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  DOYLE: I’m Forced To Do Meet N’ Greets Because ‘Scumbag’ Fans Are Stealing Music « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.