Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:09:32 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bird Box (2018) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bird Box (2018)  (Read 3570 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 19, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVJ3KYpBEns

So yeah, I've been watching this guy again. I know I post about him a lot and my sister often mocks how much I adore his videos, but honestly it was YMS
who got me into enjoying more high quality films like Old Boy or Rosemary's Baby. What can I say? The man is an inspiration to me. But anyway, the point of this post.

The video I posted is a RiffTrax style commentary on the infamous 2018 Netflix original horror movie Bird Box. Unfortunately in order to listen to a commentary track
this involves having to watch the entire movie. So what did I think of it? Well, the entire premise of the film is that there's this thing that if you look at it you go crazy and kill yourself.
And if anything can make me go insane and kill myself it's watching Bird Box.

I was expecting a 4/10 film. Something that was just kinda lame but not horrible. But holy f**k was I caught off guard by exactly how awful this movie is.
The characters were stupid to the point of it being unrealistic, the actors that are usually decent in most movies did an awful job, and the film established several rules it ended up breaking.
By far the most embarrassing thing was the soundtrack. It was the most cliche and tired shtick. Not gonna lie I kinda shouted in anger, confusion, and disappointment when the credits rolled and
revealed that Trent Reznor did some of the music. The man who wrote Hurt, one of my favorite songs ever made, did THIS?! Trent. Come on, dude.
It was just so cliche and poorly presented. They had a decent concept but the execution was absolutely abysmal.

Yuck.

2/10
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:32:26 AM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »

By the way... There's a very common argument against the movie that I felt I needed to address in a separate post.
I will defend this movie against the following argument but please keep in mind that the movie isn't better just because
it didn't f**k up in a regard that people claim it f**ked up in.

An argument that I hear for why the movie is bad is "YoU nEvEr SeE tHe MoNsTeR!". Yeah, well if we saw the monster it would completely ruin the entire
point of the film. This thing is supposed to be so hideous and terrifying to look at you go mad instantly and commit suicide. There is absolutely nothing
the movie could possibly show us to justify the entire premise if they did that. If we actually saw it then people would think "Well THAT isn't that scary!
People killed themselves over THIS?!" But if it somehow DID elicit that reaction, the movie wouldn't even get finished because everybody in production would
die just from looking at it.

Besides... The scrapped design for the thing...

That's... stupid.

claws
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »

I didn't think it was scary, I thought it was rather funny. However, I couldn't spot Sandra Bullock. Was she even in it?

Anyway, my favorite scene:

Archivist

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 11:37:52 PM »

What's really funny is the number of people doing the Bird Box Challenge, and getting injured. Like, grow a brain, people.

I haven't seen it, nor have I really had the inclination to see it. Which is oddly fitting, given the premise of the film.

One question. Why is it called 'Bird Box'?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 04:07:30 AM »

What's really funny is the number of people doing the Bird Box Challenge, and getting injured. Like, grow a brain, people.

I haven't seen it, nor have I really had the inclination to see it. Which is oddly fitting, given the premise of the film.

No idea, but here's a funny bird meme:

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 04:45:26 AM »

I didn't think it was scary, I thought it was rather funny. However, I couldn't spot Sandra Bullock. Was she even in it?

She is in it: she plays a character called Malorie Hayes.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 04:54:12 AM »

She is in it: she plays a character called Malorie Hayes.

Bluesad

I was joking. Social media made fun of Bird Box by "confusing" it with The Birdcage (1996). This was my version of the joke  Smile
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 06:51:50 AM »

Seems like there's no middle ground here. People love this movie or hate it...

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Bushma

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 07:06:17 AM »

I don't think it was that bad, I think it mainly suffered from bad editting.  Had it been chronological I think I would have liked it more.  I'll wait for the internet to recut and repost and I'll watch it again to see what I think. 

As far as not showing the monsters, I'm ok with that.  This is just another story from The Happening.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 07:33:59 AM »

Thought it was enjoyable enough. Not brilliant, but fine for an easy afternoon's entertainment. Don't see me buying a copy of it in the future, but equally, I don't want to demand the time I spent watching it back as being wasted the way I wanted to after trying to watch Solaris.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:23 AM »

We watched "Bird Box" late last year just to see what all the whoop-de-doo was about. It was OK, I don't get why everyone was going so crazy over it. I didn't find it particularly scary or disturbing, but it was a decent enough time waster.

I've also been told that it's quite similar to "A Quiet Place," which I haven't seen.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 12:26:35 PM »

I'd say 'A Quiet Place' was the better movie, although I didn't feel it justified the hype.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
claws
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 08:25:50 AM »

It was OK, I don't get why everyone was going so crazy over it.

Netflix cheerleaders love to hysterically hype and exaggerate on social media. They want anything Netflix releases to be good, even when it is obviously not so good. That's the impression I get anyway.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:18:17 PM by claws » Logged
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »

Sandra Bullock has a box with birds in it. If I recall correctly, the birds go apes**t when the monster is nearby.

Archivist

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 10:02:51 PM »

Sandra Bullock has a box with birds in it. If I recall correctly, the birds go apes**t when the monster is nearby.

Ahh, okay, that makes sense. Kind of. Makes me wonder if it had any alternative or working titles.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bird Box (2018) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.