Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:40:06 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Banana Splits are returning, but not as you might remember them. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Banana Splits are returning, but not as you might remember them.  (Read 3924 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 20, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »

The nostalgia machine has turned the childhoods of people who grew up in the ‘80s and ‘90s into big business, but anyone younger than that has largely been left behind by the Funko Pop! industry for one simple reason: Stuff that kids liked in the ‘80s and ‘90s is super cool, but older stuff is sometimes weird and lame. Take, for example, the work of Sid and Marty Krofft, who pioneered a style of TV based around putting people in weird animal costumes that died out almost immediately once animation became cheaper and easier. Now, one of those shows is actually coming back, but since nobody cares about kids TV from the ‘60s and ‘70s, it’s being turned into a f**ked-up horror movie for Syfy.

The lucky characters getting this revival are The Banana Splits, stars of the Banana Splits Adventure Hour, and a press release implies that they’re murderers now. The new horror movie version of The Banana Splits will air on Syfy at some point this year, and it concerns a little boy and his family who attend a taping of the Banana Splits TV show until for things to “take an unexpected turn” as “the body count quickly rises.” If we had to take a guess, we’d say that it sounds like Syfy took an unrelated pitch and brought in The Banana Splits when it realized that was cheaper/easier than designing a whole new group of animal characters, but for all we know this will end up being a faithful resurrection of the Banana Splits canon. Surely someone out there is eager to see what Bingo, Fleegle, Snorky, and Drooper are up to.

The Banana Splits horror movie was written by My Super Psycho Sweet 16's Jed Elinoff and Scott Thomas, and it was directed by Level 16's Danishka Esterhazy.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 02:26:21 AM »

Maybe it's time we all got together and committed mass suicide to spare ourselves further such abominations?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:35 AM »

Sounds like a way to make a "Five Nights at Freddy's" movie without actually having to license the "Five Nights at Freddy's" characters.

Tho honestly, when I was a kid the gorilla-like "Split" member with the sunglasses and giant teeth creeped the hell outta me, so this idea actually works for me.  BounceGiggle

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »

I liked the theme song when I was a kid!  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 05:02:09 PM »

I liked the theme song when I was a kid!  Smile

Hell, I still sing that song.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »

And if the film is a ratings success, then there is so much more Syfy can do to screw with our memories.

The Bay City Rollers
The Bugaloos
H. R. Pufnstuf
Lidsville

As for the last, Lidsville, Charles Nelson Reilly is dead, but, they can bring back Billie Hayes and Butch Patrick, who are both still living.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »

Trailer for the "Splits" horror flick hit YouTube this week. It comes out direct to video this summer, and then will air on SyFy later this year, presumably around Halloween.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

(shrugs) Meh. I'd watch it. Lord knows I've sat through worse.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »

Looks like sort of decent production values.

chainsaw midget

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 06:18:19 AM »

The movie itself doesn't look horrible, but I see no reason why it needs to be the 'Splits.  Making up a new cast of characters would have worked just as well.

If they were trying to cash in on Five Nights at Freddies popularity, there's a few years too late. 
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »

The movie itself doesn't look horrible, but I see no reason why it needs to be the 'Splits.  Making up a new cast of characters would have worked just as well.

If they were trying to cash in on Five Nights at Freddies popularity, there's a few years too late.  

Current rumor has it that Warner Bros. used to have the film rights to "Five Nights at Freddy's," but lost them to Blumhouse Prods.

...so they took their unused "Freddy's" film script and applied the long-dormant "Splits" characters to it in order to beat Blumhouse to the punch.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:56:54 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »

The Banana Splits Movie came out on DVD/Blu this week. Anybody seen it yet? I haven't but I am keeping a close eye on the RedBox machine around the corner from my house. :D

chainsaw midget

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 09:31:23 PM »

I just watched this.  Keep in mind my attachment to the original is somewhere around the level of "vaguely aware they exist when reminded." 

At one point a character in the movie says this of the Bannana Splits "It's old and stupid.  I want to do something cool and edgy."

In fact, several times people comment on how old and/or stupid the show is before everything goes wrong.  That pretty much sums up the mentality of the people behind this movie.  This movie is made by people with no respect for the original. 

But as a stand alone horror film ... it's still not great.  There's several consistencies that keep you from really getting into it.  It's supposedly a popular brightly colored and fun TV series with a studio audience and the studio is crappy run down dirty poorly lit place.  The 'Splits themselves are advanced robots.  No real explanation is ever give for that.  Their killing spree isn't really explained away that well either.  At first it starts because there's some bug in one of the 'Splits programing that locks in on "The Show must go on," and then they find out the show is cancelled.  The idea that they'd kill to keep the show on makes sense in a horror movie logic kinda way, but then they just start killing people for no reason.

The movie is also surprisingly gorey.  It just gets nasty at some points. 

It's not without it's good points though. 

The scenes where they're actually doing horrific things and yet still talking like the goof TV show characters with catch phrases and all are actually fairly creepy.  Especially good is the end where they're trying to put on a show to chained up kids.

Overall though, I can't say I recommend it.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 09:55:16 PM »

I haven't seen it. I can tell you this- the show itself is pretty dame lame. I remember it all too well. In fact I never cared for any of the Kroft's shows. Junk like H.R.Pufenstuff, Sigmund and the Sea Monster- ugh.

Pufnstuff and Lidsville were vague references to marijuana...I reckon made by hippies with bellbottom pants and Bob Ross haircuts.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:58:25 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Banana Splits are returning, but not as you might remember them. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.