Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:02:32 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wondering if this has made the news in the US. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wondering if this has made the news in the US.  (Read 1829 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 22, 2019, 02:12:50 AM »

During WW2 a young boy witness a USAF bomber crash killing all the crew. It is believed the crew deliberately aimed for the field they landed in to avoid hitting nearby houses. Anyway, the boy has spent the years since tending to a memorial to the crew where they crashed. Today is the 75th anniversary of the crash and for a few months he's been campaigning for a flypast to honour those who died. Anyway, cut a long story short, he was successful.

I was just wondering if it had made the news stateside at all out of curiosity.

Thousands of people are expected to watch a fly-past honouring 10 airmen who died when their plane crashed in a Sheffield park 75 years ago.

The US bomber - a B-17 Flying Fortress known as Mi Amigo - came down in Endcliffe Park on 22 February 1944, killing everyone on board.

A campaign for a fly-past started after a chance meeting between BBC Breakfast presenter Dan Walker and Tony Foulds.

Mr Foulds, 82, witnessed the crash and regularly tends to the park's memorial.

The fly-past, involving military aircraft from Britain and the United States, is due to reach the park at about 08:45 GMT.
Media captionTony Foulds said he feels responsible because he believes the plane was trying to avoid crashing into him

Crews will set off from RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, which is home to the largest US Air Force base in the UK.

Mr Walker, who met Mr Foulds while he was walking his dog in the park, described him as an "amazing man" after hearing his story in early January.

He was eight years old when he witnessed Mi Amigo crash and explode in the park as the pilot apparently tried to avoid him and his friends.

A social media-led campaign subsequently went transatlantic and a fly-past was successfully organised along with new steps and a flagpole for the crash memorial.

Tony Foulds, 82, regularly tends to the park's memorial and regards the American men who lost their lives as "family"

The 10 men killed in the crash:

Pilot Lt John Kriegshauser, pilot from Missouri

2nd Lt Lyle Curtis, co-pilot from Idaho

2nd Lt John Humphrey, navigator from Illinois

Melchor Hernandez, bombardier from California

Harry Estabrooks, engineer and gunner from Kansas

Charles Tuttle, gunner from Kentucky

Robert Mayfield, radio operator from Illinois

Vito Ambrosio, gunner from New York

Malcolm Williams, gunner from Oklahoma

Maurice Robbins, gunner from Texas

Mr Foulds previously said he felt responsible, because the plane was trying to avoid crashing into him.

Referring to his regular visits to the memorial, he said: "They are my family. I love them to pieces.

"If I go on holiday I always make sure my son goes to visit. I always tell them how I am, what I'm doing, what the weather's like."

Sheffield City Council advised people to plan their journeys to Endcliffe Park carefully so they can arrive in time for the event, which will be broadcast live on BBC Breakfast.

People are encouraged to arrive at the park for the unticketed event from about 07:15, with a memorial service taking place at 08:00.

Bus services in Sheffield and Stagecoach Supertram are offering free travel for service personnel and veterans until 12:00 to mark the occasion.
Planes taking part in fly-past (weather dependant)

F-15E Strike Eagles from RAF Lakenheath
    KC-135 Stratotanker
    MC-130J Commando II
    CV-22 Osprey from RAF Mildenhall
    Typhoon from RAF Coningsby
    Dakota from RAF Coningsby

Capt Lauren Schlichting, a F-15E Strike Eagle pilot taking part in the fly-past, said: "We definitely don't take it lightly to be able to honour those who came before us and we're happy to do it."

Lt Andrew Knighten, weapons systems officer in the F-15E, said: "It's pretty humbling, honestly, just for everyone that's gone before us and for us to get to fly over and just honour them."

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 02:28:02 AM »

No. And that's the kind of news I wish was going on here.
All you got here is the Donald Trump Show.  Bluesad
And a mass shooting every other day.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:32:42 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 07:19:19 AM »

No. And that's the kind of news I wish was going on here.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see a story like this.  I just did a quick search and couldn't even find anything.

Thanks for sharing this!

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:22:47 AM »

As I am work I wasn't able to watch it, but there should be a video you can watch of it here if you are interested.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1090779/Sheffield-flypast-live-video-RAF-2019-Endcliffe-Park-memorial-anniversary-BBC-watch

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:23:34 AM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6732779/Pensioner-sees-dream-come-true-flypast-marks-1944-bomber-crash.html

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:30:37 AM »

As I am work I wasn't able to watch it, but there should be a video you can watch of it here if you are interested.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1090779/Sheffield-flypast-live-video-RAF-2019-Endcliffe-Park-memorial-anniversary-BBC-watch

OK, I admit it: that video and especially the jets flying in the missing man formation straight up made me cry. It's hard to type when you're sniffling and can't see OK.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 01:31:24 PM »

No, this made the news tho.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2019/02/conservative-christians-claim-ocasio-cortez-is-a-witch-leading-attack-against-trump/?fbclid=IwAR1yxMScz4VhByky-36fIYvua1XyrdvY2V4Ux35a2t5Ts3SMeZXbUJ0FzfM

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Wondering if this has made the news in the US. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.