Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:06 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Favorite Streaming Services « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite Streaming Services  (Read 4482 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 18, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »

I've recently been searching for horror, sci-fi, and b-movie streaming apps for my Roku and have found some goodies:

* B-Movies: live streaming channel some stinkers.
* Beta Max: live streaming directory of movies -one of my favs
* A couple of Horror and Schlock streaming channels that have a plethora of old school (silent era) and a lot of 60s/70s drive-in films.
* Pluto: another fav with several channels and even movies to choose from. I believe there is a horror channel on Pluto too, but my favs from Pluto are the Rifftrax and MST3K channels.
* Shudder: (this one is a paid subscription): great selection of horror and great categories (cannibal families, Italian, Hitchcock)

*DC Universe Online: and not in the same vein but I also picked up the paid subscription for the DC Universe online, which has about every DC animated show available, plus comics and other goodies. Best shows are the animated series for Batman, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League (and JLU), and Young Justice (season 3 episodes are only available via this streaming now since it was cancelled on network TV. They appear to have every animated DC film (except I didn't see JL Dark but may have missed.

What streaming services do you like/have you found? Please list your favs and please indicate if it's a paid subscription vs free.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »

I have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Nteflix used to be the best by far, but is actually slipping for me as they focus more and more on their own productions and let their back catalog slip away.

Hulu is great for current and vintage TV, and I believe they have some free content (ad supported). Movie selection is poor.

Amazon Prime actually now has the best catalog of movies, by a pretty wide margin. Some real stinkers and some real classics. Very little in the way of TV or original programming, though. Expensive and always asking you to pay extra for add-on channels. Free 2-day shipping is OK if you buy a lot from them, and they also have a free music service with a very small catalog (again, you have to pay extra to get their whole catalog).

Among free channels I will very rarely watch Pluto (it's good, with an interesting faux-cable interface), Crackle, Tubi.tv (actually a huge selection there), Shout TV, or Vudu (which has a few free movies among it's catalog).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »

Got to agree with the Rev on both Netflix and Amazon. Kristi used to use Hulu but has drifted away from it. I think she is waiting on Disney's channel.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »

Got to agree with the Rev on both Netflix and Amazon. Kristi used to use Hulu but has drifted away from it. I think she is waiting on Disney's channel.

I loved Hulu but it's not really available in the UK and yes I am waiting for the Disney streaming service.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »

I like Tubi and Pluto.  Cheers
We have Netflix, Hulu, and a mess of other weather stuff.

On Tubi you can find every thing from Jean Rollins to Jerry Warren!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:05:39 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »

I loved Hulu but it's not really available in the UK and yes I am waiting for the Disney streaming service.

The last I heard, it rolls out in September, 2019.

I have also heard that what is now Comcast/NBC/Universal will start their only streaming serivice next year or 2020. Though, I know nothing more about that than the tentative date.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »

Amazon Prime is where it's at for me. My watchlist is so full on that thing that I can probably see a different movie every night for a year with no repeats. My wife gets p**sed at me for "clogging it up" with grindhouse horror, Poliziottechi flicks and other schlocky goodies cuz then she can never find anything that SHE wants to watch, haha!

Of the various "free with ads" streaming services out there, I like TubiTV the best. They have a surprisingly deep catalog of vintage stuff and new goodies come in all the time.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »

Since a couple of people expressed an interest in Disney+, here is some more info on the streaming service, which may be an inducement to get it or may be not.

Unoriginal programming
7000 TV episodes
500 films

Original programming
18 films
post production -- filming -- in development
15 TV shows
ordered -- in development
$500 million for original programming
with a more complete list at wikipedia.org

Unoriginal and original programming
Walt Disney Pictures -- Walt Disney Imagineering docuseries -- Walt Disney Animation -- Star Wars -- Pixar -- National Geographic -- Muppets -- Marvel -- Disneynature --- ABC Studios docuseries -- and 20th Century Fox most likely.

Original programming
A big chunk of that $500 million, or $100 million,  is going to the limited, with 8 episodes so far, Star Wars series The Mandalorian. What I think is most interesting is that it is attracting actors one does not normally see in a TV series, limited or not, such as . . .
Carl Weathers -- Giancarlo Esposito -- Nick Nolte -- Werner Herzog, etc.

This is Nicki Nolte's 2nd attempt to appear in Star Wars. 42 years ago he auditioned for the role of Han Solo, can one see him as Han Solo?, but, he was beaten out for the role by someone named Harrison Ford.

Next time: the competitors
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 03:59:38 PM »

Other streaming services.

Amazon Prime
Hey, Amazon Prime man.

In the area in which I live, I saw the man from Amazon Prime, and as long as I have lived there, I has never seen that ere. Of course, whether he was there to connect or disconnect, I cannot say.

Right now Amazon Prime is batting 0 for 6 or .000 in films made, but, it still wants to increase its output to 30 films next year. Some of which will appear in theaters, ere they appear on Amazon Prime. They certainly have the money to make that number of films.

AT&T
The appeallate court denied the government's effort to block the merger of AT&T and Time Warner. Now known as Warner Media. And the lead lawyer for the government said the government would not appeal to an even higher court. Not if Trump has anything to said about it. The case should have never gotten as far as it did. Your tax dollars at work.

When AT&T bought Direct TV, it got not only a satellite dish system, but also a streaming service, and since then, both services have been hemorrhaging subscribers. Which is probably why AT&T bought Warner Media, to try to stop the hemorrhaging.

Disney + Fox = an offer to Warner Media to buyout its share of Hulu.

1 scenario. 2 outcomes.
When Disney bought out Fox, it tried to keep the old Fox executives around by offering them new jobs in the new organization.
On the other hand, when AT&T bought out Warner Media, they seemingly had no interest in keeping the old executives around, so now you have executives, from HBO, Turner TV, etc., who have decades of experience in the business, leaving.
We will just have to see who made the better decision.

Comcast/NBC/UNiversal
Nothing new, except for their plans to start their own streaming service sometime in 2020. Original programming: who knows. Unoriginal programming: NBC TV and Universal films.

Netflix
$500 million may be alot to spend on original programming, and it is, but it pales with the $1 billion or more that Netflix wants to spend on original programming. They certainly have the money to do so.
And if one's only reason to subscribe to Netflix for its Marvel programs, then the last 2 have been canceled. I have questions about the wisdom of that, if only to keep them would keep them out of the hands of their competitiors.

And 1 more from Disney+.
A limited or maybe not so limited series Book of Enchantment. Based upon the best selling book series by Serena Valentino. Each one of which features a different Disney villain. The 1st 5 books in the series feature the Beast, Maleficent, Mother Gothal, Ursula, and the Wicked Queen. Each from their own point of view. With a 6th book The Odd Sisters coming 07/02/19. And the authoress is working on a 7th book.

One of the strengths of Disney has been its villains, dating back to the time of the Big Bad Wolf and Peg Leg Pete. Even if the artists never could remember which leg had the pegleg. Sometimes it was the left, and sometimes it was the right.
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »

If you like crazy Japanese stuff (particularly Ultraman), you can get a service called "Toku" either on Amazon Prime or just through the web if you want to watch it on your comp.

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »

There's comettv.com

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Favorite Streaming Services « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.