Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:13:05 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your 10 favorite moments of the Friday the 13th movies and/or 10 least favorite. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Your 10 favorite moments of the Friday the 13th movies and/or 10 least favorite.  (Read 4408 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« on: March 16, 2019, 02:46:26 AM »

If you've watched a good number of the Friday The 13th movies:
FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980)
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART II (1981)
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART III IN 3D (1982)
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART IV: THE FINAL FRIDAY (1984)
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART V: A NEW BEGINNING (1985)
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI: JASON LIVES (1986)
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII: THE NEW BLOOD (1988)
FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN (1989)
JASON GOES TO HELL (1993)
JASON X (2001)
FREDDY VS. JASON (2003)
FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009)

Then there's probably a good number of scenes you enjoyed or hated, or turns that the franchise took to maintain interest from the fans (that may or may not have panned out).  Or maybe it was a character you liked or disliked that was memorable for you?  See if you can name 10 (and if you can't that's okay; you tried).

I won't set any particular rules-- you can just name one movie in the series as an entry for enjoyed/hated; that's fine.

My entries:
LIKED:
1. The humor in part VI: Jason Lives.  This was my favorite of the series for this particular reason.
2. Alice Cooper music for part VI.  I made "The Man Behind The Mask" into a karaoke file for the local bar!
3. The iconic hockey mask in part III.  The potato sack from part II was done in The Elephant Man and The Town That Dreaded Sundown already.  The hockey mask conveyed so much more menace.  Bravo!
4. Kane Hodder's work as Jason in numerous entries.  He may not be overpoweringly tall as Ken Kirzinger from Freddy Vs. Jason (about 6'6 or 6'7) but he had particularly neat mannerisms that made him unique and most indentifiable to the character of Jason.
5. The beheading of Betsy Palmer's Pamela Voorhees at the end of the first film-- the movie really tested the waters of the MPAA and to chop the head of the main villain off was the bloody cherry on the sundae!  Which also leads to...
6. One of the moments in cinema history that made the audience JUMP OUT OF THEIR SEATS!!!  Jason, thought to be dead and drowned, JUMPS OUT OF THE LAKE to drag the final girl Alice (Adrienne King) out of her canoe!  This done right as she awaits rescue from the police and a serene tune plays on the soundtrack-- then BAM!  Spilled popcorn and soda (as well as possibly poop/pee) in theaters that played this!
7. The final girl from part II-- Ginny (Amy Steel)-- was a great match for Jason (here played by the uncredited Steve Dasczowitz (or something, or just Dash, R.I.P.)!  Jason didn't quite have the Herculean strength yet of the later films, but Ginny still deserved credit for standing toe to toe with the (here hooded) madman, and winning!  Forget the fact she peed herself in fright (not really a necessary scene), she was awesome!
8. Tom Savini's gore effects!  The guy knew his stuff (having been a combat photographer and seeing the grue in real life) and it really showed.  I had a book once on how he made his effects and it was really interesting.  The spurting arrow through Kevin Bacon's neck, the machete in Jason's face at the end of part IV, and even other scenes that were done by other SFX teams were really done quite well!  Too bad the MPAA did cut out a good deal to keep the films from being rated X.
9. I rather liked the character of Tommy Jarvis-- played by 3 different actors (Corey Feldman, John Shepherd and Thom Matthews).  He seemed to sort of be Jason's nemesis, starting as a kid that loved making special effects, and evolving into a traumatized halfway house denizen and finally (my favorite incarnation) a young man trying to finally bury the demons of his past along with Jason himself.
10. The wise decision to bring Jason back after unwisely making a horrid entry without Jason in part V: A New Beginning.  Such a bad movie.. and the following entry was so good!

Honorable mentions: the recent game!  And some of the creative kills (nitrogen bath, sleeping bag, triple decapitation, collapsing bed, spear through the bed [although stolen from TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE], etc.).  Don LaFontaine's excellent voiceover for many of the trailers!  The excellent music by Harry Manfredini!  And the ch-ch-ch-ha-ha-ha sound!

DIDN'T LIKE:

1. The overly goofy humor in Jason X.  Or Jason going into space.  Ugh.  And the Jason/android chick battle was really dumb IMHO.
2. JASON GOES TO HELL.  Really, really awful-- Jason has relatives never mentioned previously or afterwards.  Jason lives on when people eat his heart.  Or turns into a worm-thing and slithers into a chick's cooter.  What the f*** were the writers smoking?  Unforgivable.
3. Part V: A New Beginning.  The F13 series goes whodunnit.  Some fans liked it due to its high body count (I think the highest in the series) but-- spoiler-- Jason turns out to be a paramedic??  I don't care how you try to explain it, go f*** yourself!  Bad entry and some truly annoying characters.
4. After showing no fear of water (being drowned in it, and wading/swimming in it in part VI and VII at least), Jason is suddenly terrified of the stuff in Freddy Vs. Jason.  Huh?
5. Jason's ridiculous (even for the series) strength at times (like in VS.), and seeming ability to teleport to catch up to his victims (realized/parodied in the recent game).
6. In general Jason Takes Manhattan was disappointing (plus, it was actually in Vancouver Canada), but the part where he turns into a little boy when shocked on the train rails (and also looked like a deformed Muppet) left me wondering what the f*** I just watched!  Just stupid!
7. The MPAA just cutting up part VI (and some other entries) so badly that some scenes just didn't make sense or cut away before you could see ANYTHING.  Boo!
8. Some truly lame 3D effects (though a few were effective) in part 3.  Some scenes were really obvious that something was fed on a line towards the camera, but the piece of s*** de resistance  was the eye-popping scene that was so unbelievably fake that you have to laugh.  The stuffing of the dummy head seems to come out as the VERY fake eyeball shoots across the fishing line at the viewer.  So, so bad.
9. Some of the annoying/weird characters that you just couldn't care about.  Yeah, we're supposed to root for their death, but man.. do we have to wait 45 minutes or longer?  Crispin Glover is a weirdo and I was not sad to see Jason dispatch him part VI.  The hyper dance is perhaps a high point in the series for some but not for me.  I did like seeing him ask for the corkscrew and Jason plants it into his hand followed by a cleaver to the face.
10. I was not a fan of the 2009 remake.  Nope.

If you can't come up with any new likes/dislikes on your own, you can simply expand with your own viewpoints on other likes/dislikes!  I'm easy.

Make as many as you can-- more or less than 10 are okay!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
claws
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 03:53:44 AM »

Friday the 13th (1980)

My likes might differ from the usual, but its the little things I enjoy: approaching thunderstorm. It sets up the mood and enhances the atmosphere. For some reason I like the scene where Alice is making instant coffee. At first look it seems like a padding scene but it has more to offer than that. There's nothing I disliked about the movie.

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

Again, a scene with Alice. The continuous shot without edits at her house is quite brilliant in my opinion. Dislike: the movie is obviously a lazy cash-grab imitation of the first and might be the most unoriginal of all Friday sequels. They basically replaced Mom with the Son and did the same movie all over again. Not only unoriginal but the most overrated Friday sequel as well.

Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

The opening at the store, the "windy" finale and the fact that Jason "might" have done something naughty to Dana Kimmell's character hinted in a flashback. Dislike: the Cheech & Chong stoner antics. The pot humor is lame.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

The hospital scenes are great. Didn't actually dislike much about The Final Chapter.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985)

The first in the series that feels like a modern contemporary film, and I liked all the colorful characters. The majority dislikes the Jason twist but I thought it was refreshing.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986)

Had a few interesting moments and even though I've seen Jason Lives many times it is probably the least memorable Friday sequel for me.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

This one felt the cheapest, and I was kind of "meh" about the psychic stuff. Back then I was thinking 'what's next, Jason in space?' No favorite moments except for Jason's cool superspine.

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)

Big promises, very little delivery. The New Blood felt cheap, and Jason Takes Manhattan had a 'clean' TV movie quality feel to it. Like, seriously missing the gritty charm of the first movies. No memorable favorite moments.

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993)

Didn't hate it but I certainly didn't love it either. No favorite moments.

Jason X (2001)

It's crap, no matter how you twist and turn it. Even David Cronenberg's presence didn't help.

Freddy vs. Jason (2003)

Probably the best since A New Beginning. Other than that, no standout moments for me though I did enjoy it as a whole.

Friday the 13th (2009)

It's like they remade Texas Chain Saw and replaced Leatherface with Jason. The lack of summer camp feeling didn't help matters either. The scenes at the lakehouse where more annoying than entertaining. That said, this "remake" wasn't bad but certainly flawed.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:41:22 PM by claws » Logged
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 05:12:42 PM »

PART 3 - the campest and least intimidating 'biker gang' ever.

PART 5 - the crazy swearing momma.

PART 7 - Lar Park Lincoln. not a great actress but pretty hawt imo

PART 8 - the cracking soft-metal theme tune.

JASON X - the nitrogen face freeze death. best death in the whole series imo

dislikes:

PART 4 - Crispin Glover. like him in BACK TO THE FUTURE but here is just annoying

PART 6 - Jason seeming not like Jason in this one. more like some random guy dressed up as Jason. can't explain it...

GOES TO HELL - not even an F13 movie. a boring random film.

FREDDY VS JASON - I hate Freddy Kruger and the Elm St films in general.

REMAKE - pointless to start with, and way too many annoying characters.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
retrorussell

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 07:43:46 PM »

Thanks for your comments, folks!

I know all the films are flawed and they're just shameless cash cows riding on the slasher genre coattails and are not to be approached with a sliver of expectations.. but the clash of a serene natural setting with a bloodthirsty unkillable monster is just perfect.  And again, the fact that numerous films tried to really push the envelope in terms of gore at times made the films entertaining-- at least, unless the MPAA came unglued and rendered many scenes senseless.  Some top notch SFX crews in most of the films (except for perhaps III).  I find most of the F13 films to be more watchable than the NOES films in general.  Of the two series I liked F13 Part VI and NOES part 3 the most.

I find some of the behind-the-scenes info more interesting than the films themselves! 
Like how much of a tropper Steve Dash (Jason in part II-- credited Warrington Gillette only was "unhooded" Jason) was when Amy Steel nearly amputated his finger with a machete when he was supposed to block with the pickaxe.  He simply went to the hospital, got the stitches, and returned to finish the scene!
Also, the squirting blood from Kevin Bacon was improvisation-- SFX artist Taso Stavrakis (asst. to Tom Savini) had the tube come off a syringe and he just blew into it, making it more messy!
And generally the Jasons were actually very nice guys-- some would even complain to the directors if they felt a cast member was not being treated fairly.  Ted White got angry with director Joseph Zito in part IV when an actress was developing hypothermia in a freezing lake and threatened to walk out if she wasn't kept warm between takes.
Corey Feldman was difficult for the director and Ted White to deal with.  BTW, Ted White was a whopping 58 years old during part IV-- older than his "mom" Betsy Palmer!

Keep the great comments coming!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »

yeah I have the CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES dvd, a lot of interesting behind the scenes stuff talked about on there.

I've never actually met another person who is that interested in the F13 films, beyond just being aware of them. I re-watch them all the time. I just saw Part 3 again a couple of nights ago.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:27:42 PM by zombie no.one » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 12:18:55 AM »

I have to confess: I've never seen any of the Friday The 13th films. Yes, you read that right.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
retrorussell

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 12:51:31 AM »

I have to confess: I've never seen any of the Friday The 13th films. Yes, you read that right.
Well, they're mostly stupid as you might imagine-- but at least they're generally competently made.  Much better than the average horror flick you'd see on the shelf at a mom and pop video store or on cable back in the day.  I'd suggest 1, 2 and 6 to start with.  Maybe 4 as well.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 01:22:27 AM »

Well, they're mostly stupid as you might imagine-- but at least they're generally competently made.  Much better than the average horror flick you'd see on the shelf at a mom and pop video store or on cable back in the day.  I'd suggest 1, 2 and 6 to start with.  Maybe 4 as well.

OK, thanks.  Smile

The original FT13 movie was banned here  Question

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 05:11:36 AM »

Most of these movies, the "end" is the best part.  TongueOut
I like part 2. And the one folks seem to hate the most-JASON GOES TO HELL.
The scene where he splits the couple in half with a huge machete is fantastic gore. And funny too.  Thumbup
I do like the end of part 1, with Jason jumping from the lake to grab the chick in the boat.
 The worst is JASON IN MANHATTAN. He hardly gets off the boat. Now if he was chopping down 42nd Street and killing suits on Wall Street-wow.  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 06:26:48 AM »

Most of these movies, the "end" is the best part.  TongueOut

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »

The worst is JASON IN MANHATTAN. He hardly gets off the boat. Now if he was chopping down 42nd Street and killing suits on Wall Street-wow.  Buggedout
I like the stuff that happens on the boat :). the whole movie is pure 80s cheese, it's possibly my favourite F13 entry. also there is actually more stuff 'off' the boat than people seem to remember... the film is 1hr40mins and I'm sure they hit Manhattan/Vancouver before the hour mark.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:34:36 AM by zombie no.one » Logged

retrorussell

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 10:26:57 PM »

Gotta list some of my favorite kills:
1. MRS. VOORHEES' DEATH (Pt. 1)
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

2. SLEEPING BAG KILL (Pt. 7)

3. SPEAR DOUBLE KILL (Pt. 2)

4. STABBING/BED CRUSH (F VS. J)

5. SPEAR GUN BOLT IN EYE (Pt. 3)

I'll probably get some notice about anti-embedding if I post more YT URLs, so I'll just list pics of 5 more favs:
6. Jason knocking the boxer's block off in Part 8, one of the few okay scenes in that film.

7. The Kevin Bacon throat spearing in Part 1.

8. I liked Crispin Glover's corkscrew/cleaver death-- and not just because it was Crispin Glover's character dying (though that was nice to see).

9. The triple decap of the 3 paintball players in part 6.

10. The graphic sawing of the throat and neck snap in part 4.

Honorable mentions: The machete in the wheelchair guy's head in Pt. 2, the nitro bath in Part X, the sheriff's broken back in part 6, the nasty throat slash of the guy hanging upside down in part 2, Jason himself getting chopped up by Tommy in part 4's ending, Jason's multi-death rampage at the rave in F VS. J, Andy's body cut in half in part 3, and plenty others I can't think of right now.

10 lamest (I'll just post 'em):
1. Mrs. Jarvis' death (Pt. 4); we don't even know she was killed for sure.  Jason just throws her off the roof and she lands on the car.  She's not seen again (though in a removed scene Trish dreams of seeing her dead in a bathtub).
2. Deaths followed by a lame joke/pun in Part X.  "He's been screwed."

3. The hilariously poor eye-popping scene in part 3.
4. The psychiatrist getting-- I guess-- gutted by a tree saw in part 7.  Thanks to the MPAA we saw NOTHING happen.
5. Any scene where the action just cuts to a splash of blood on a wall after they scream, or something similarly disappointing.
6. Jason simply strangling the girl on the dance floor in part 8.
7. Again in part 7 the MPAA meddling cuts away before Jason can finish off the girl with the sickle.
8. Jason just seemingly stabbing downward to kill a girl in part 2 and we see ABSOLUTELY nothing.  More MPAA meddling I presume.
9. Any scene where a character disappears and we later see them dead, in a not-very-bloody state.  We done got cheated!
10. Jason's drowning by a girl's dad in part 7.. wasn't Jason supposed to be supernaturally strong, and then he allows this to happen??

retrorussell

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:02:58 PM »

Great dialogue:
1. "Ted!  Where the hell's the corkscrew??"-- Part IV
2. "I've seen enough horror movies to know that any weirdo wearing a mask is never friendly."-- Part VI
3. Deputy (with gun/laser sight drawn on him): "Megan.. don't clown around."  Megan: "I'm not the one with the funny red nose."-- Part VI
4. Tommy: "Jason's not in his grave!  Hawes is!  Dig it up!  You gotta dig it up!"  Gravekeeper: "Dig it up?  What does he think I am, a farthead??" (cut to group of ecstatic kids yelling "YEEESSS!!!!" in next scene)-- Part VI
5. "Jason was my son.  And today is his birthday."-- Part I
6. Rave member #1: "Wey hey, Jethro!  This is a rave, not a Halloween party!  Why don't you go find a pig to f**k?"  Rave member #2: "This is invite only, cornpoke, and you weren't invited--" (Jason snaps his neck)-- F VS. J
7. (in car, looking at Jason in the way) Darren: "We're gonna scare him." Lizbeth: "We're going to scare HIM."  Darren: "That's right.  Just drive toward him.  He'll move; nobody wants to die."  Liz: Well, that's a fact.  Least of all, US!"  Darren: "Will you just drive?  He'll get out of the way." (They pull up and stop a foot from Jason; he doesn't move)  Liz: "Yeah.  That scared the s**t out of him."-- Part VI
8. Freddy: "You ugly little s**t!  That's a face only a MOTHER could love!" (holds up Pamela Voorhees' decapitated head to Jason)-- F VS. J
9. Ethel: "Holy s**t!  Who the f*** are you and what the f*** do you want?!"-- Pt. V; she was funny and vulgar and about the only good thing about part V
10. Russell: "When did you first fall in love with me?"  Sandra: "When I first saw the size of your beautiful.. wallet."-- Part VII

dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »

Off the top of my head.

Favorite:

1. Part IV having a focus on horror with a little humor mixed. It is the entry in the series to me that most feels like a good movie.
2. Part VI concluding the Tommy Jarvis saga masterfully.
3. The humor in Part VI though it does take away a bit from the horror which is why I have to rank it below Part IV.
4. Jason punching that dude’s head off in Part VIII. Say what you will about the movie as a whole, but it is tough to completely hate any movie with such a ridiculous death.
5. Early appearances by Corey Feldman, Kevin Bacon, and Crispin Glover. Probably some more worth mentioning too but I like all three of those guys and it was fun to see them.
6. The triple decapitaton in Part VI! I just wish they didn’t sensor it so much.
7. Goes to Hell and subsequent movies being available more or less uncensored. I just wish the earlier ones had the same treatment.
8. Just that killer hockey mask originating in Part III. Such an iconic look.
9. The right running time of Part II. It’s really pretty tight storytelling and the shortest entry in the series. It makes for easy viewing if you don’t have much time to watch a classic horror movie.
10. Freddy vs. Jason actually seeing the light of day and being pretty badass to boot.

Least favorite:

1. All the censorship of the early movies. It’s a shame as I’m not sure some censored footage even exists any more.
2. Part V having a different killer with a backstory I didn’t care for.
3. Part V significantly lowering the overall quality of the Tommy Jarvis trilogy. It’s a weak link sandwiched between the two very best entries in the series.
4. Part VIII essentially being Jason on a boat. It really feels like a bait and switch given that it was called Jason Takes Manhattan.
5. Part VIII having Jason walk past potential victims in Manhattan. It just seems out of line with his character to have Jason on a crowded subway and then only focus on one person. It was a missed opportunity as it could have been really badass to see Jason going after the main characters on the subway as he is slashing onlookers along the way and people are screaming.
6. That throat slitting scene in Part VIII on the boat. There’s no excuse for how bad that looked.
7. Part VII feeling a little too formulaic and not doing enough to distinguish itself. The Carrie vs. Jason thing just doesn’t seem like enough. At least V and VIII tried to be different.
8. Jason not doing the killing in Goes to Hell. It was a cool concept that I could have tolerated for some of the movie, but Jason should have done more of the killing.
9. Jason talking (though in someone else’s body) in Goes to Hell. Quite a weird directing choice.
10. Jason looking too weak in Part II especially during the final scene. I don’t mind kid Jason at the end of Part I as the character wasn’t really defined then. You could say that for Part II as well but it was a first attempt at an adult Jason. I’m so glad they went with a more imposing look and gave him the hockey mask in Part III.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 02:00:25 AM »

6. That throat slitting scene in Part VIII on the boat. There’s no excuse for how bad that looked.
yeah I've seen worse paper cuts!

judging by how much the censors came down on part 7 maybe they just gave up trying to be gory? maybe they were even deliberately taking the bleep with that kill. (still love Part 8 though)

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your 10 favorite moments of the Friday the 13th movies and/or 10 least favorite. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.