Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:11:04 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  MySpace lost a bunch of stuff « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MySpace lost a bunch of stuff  (Read 2513 times)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« on: March 19, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »

MySpace lost a bunch of user content.

MySpace — the once-dominant social media platform that was largely subsumed by Facebook — may have lost a decade's worth of music uploaded by users, the company says.

MySpace started in 2003 and quickly gained traction as a platform for uploading and sharing music, particularly for new bands trying to find an audience.

Now the company says millions of music files uploaded to the site may have disappeared.

NPR has reached out for comment from MySpace. According to several media reports, it posted a message on its site recently reading, "As a result of a server migration project, any photos, videos, and audio files you uploaded more than three years ago may no longer be available on or from MySpace. We apologize for the inconvenience."

The biggest part of this story is that MySpace still exists. 

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:33 AM »

The biggest part of this story is that MySpace still exists. 

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »

I haven't been to MySpace in over ten years  Buggedout

There used to be a page called MyDeadSpace I think? They did background stories of MySpacers who died. It made for an interesting morbid reading.
Pacman000
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »

AngelFire & WebRings still exist too, last time I checked.

Going by memory:

MySpace was bought by the News Corporation when it was going strong, then sold to Justin Timberlake once the fad died down. He's tried to revitalize it as a site for musicians, & he's been somewhat successful at it too.
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:58:49 AM »

Anyone remember:

altavista/hotbot/lycos search engines
netscape navigator - the first browser I ever used
xanga
angelfire
geocities
ezboards (a discussion site that had a lot of traction in the late 90s and early 2000s but got taken down by hackers. Dozens of boards were hit and thousands of posts were lost. It then became Yuku, which was recently acquired by Tapatalk)
alt. groups, now acquired by Google

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
claws
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 02:14:16 AM »

ezboards (a discussion site that had a lot of traction in the late 90s and early 2000s but got taken down by hackers. Dozens of boards were hit and thousands of posts were lost. It then became Yuku, which was recently acquired by Tapatalk)

That's where I mostly hung out when I first went online in 2001. I joined two communities, one was dedicated to the Lord of the Rings movies. The owner made me a mod for the DVD forum. The other community was pretty much like this place, as in members who knew one another for a long time. I was acting like a total n00b and I'm still surprised they more or less accepted me  BounceGiggle
Around that time I used to post a lot at JoBlo.com's forums. The traffic there was incredible. It's pretty much like dead these days.

Amnyway, I left ezboards in 2006 I think. I had no clue it was taken down by hackers  Buggedout
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  MySpace lost a bunch of stuff « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.