Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:20 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  VideoAsia Horror DVDs « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VideoAsia Horror DVDs  (Read 2134 times)
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 19, 2019, 01:39:54 PM »

Anyone check any of these out? They have a slew of double feature sets. Tales of Voodoo is a series of DVDs in five volumes with two films each and Tales of Terror has three volumes, also with two films each. The sets mostly (only?) have Hong Kong horror movies. Some dubbed, some subtitles, some from the 1970s/80s, some fairly recent. Absolutely zero effort put into remastering the films though the DVD artwork is pretty cool. They’re out of print now, but you can still find them on eBay for super cheap.

I recently watched Tales of Terror 1. The first movie is Ninja Vampire Busters, a late 1980s film dubbed here. It’s about a vampire that got captured in a vase long ago by a warrior. During the Chinese Cultural Revolution, a Communist tries to get the vase from his father but the father knowing the secret tosses it in the Ocean. Flash forward to the 1980s and the vase gets retrieved and auctioned off to a bureaucrat who it possesses. An overweight descendant of the warrior must help battle the vampire along with the bureaucrat’s family. Some fun stuff here as you have stuff like the vampire turnin a child into a TV that then nearly falls on the fat descendant. My favorite bit is something like the fat descendant is looking for the bureaucrats house and asked what street it is own. The person he asks just says, “Move it a***ole” then the descendant thinks the bureaucrat lives on a***ole street.

The second movie is Vampire Honeymoon which is from the 2000s and subtitled. It’s about a police officer who goes on his honeymoon but then runs into a female ghost. The ghost tells him that she was murdered by her husband who just wanted her father’s money. Her father also owned the hotel they are staying at and her body is hidden inside the wall of the room he is in. An evil spirit is also in the hotel and occasionally possesses the police officer. Along with his wife, some Buddhist spiritualists, and the ghost, the police officer must get revenge on the murdering husband and drive out the evil spirit for good. This one is not as good as the first but it is fun to watch the Engrish subtitles as again no effort went into fixing these movies for the DVDs.

Heavily recommended for any bad movie fan!
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:05:27 PM »

Sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for the recommendation.  Thumbup

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
claws
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 12:59:36 AM »

I own a few of those VideoAsia/Tales of Terror/Voodoo discs. Some titles included are:

Scorpion Thunderbolt (1988)
Corpse Master (1986)
Hell Hole (1983)
Jungle Virgin Force (1988)
Voodoo Black Exorcist (1974)
Diamond Ninja Force (1988)
Savage Terror (1980)
Escape from Women's Hell Hole (1978)
A Dog Called... Vengeance (1977)
Murder Syndrome a.k.a. Fear (1981)

and a few Nazi/Camp/Crime exploitation movies.

Most if not all of these are sourced from old beat up Asian/European VHS rental tapes. If you like true bottom of the barrel entertainment you can't go wrong with these VideoAsia releases.
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:57:14 PM »

I’ve been making my way through some more of these in the last week and bottom of the barrel really describes it!

On Here Comes a Vampire, which was in some other language (probably either Mandarin or Cantonese), the subtitles were cut off and unreadable for about 2/3s of the movie. They were there then the subtitles start getting lower so you can only see the tops of some letters. Then at the end they are readable again. Good thing the visual comedy was so over the top that you can still pretty much follow along.

Then I just watched The Ark of the Sun God. It is a fun Indiana Jones rip-off. However at the end of it there is literally 5 minutes of VHS snow.

I love how absolutely no quality control went into these releases. I’d like to think it was intentional, but I’d be giving them too much credit.
316zombie
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

you should check out some bollywood stuff too. if you like cheesy anthologies, try darna mana hai, and the other darna, i'll look through my collection later and find the name. oh, and prayer beads!
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »

you should check out some bollywood stuff too. if you like cheesy anthologies, try darna mana hai, and the other darna, i'll look through my collection later and find the name. oh, and prayer beads!

Haha I’d love some Bollywood recommendations. I’ve only seen very few movies from there.

One that I’m highly interested in that I haven’t seen yet is Player of Players which I guess in India actually did really well when it first came out. There is a scene on YouTube from it where two WWF wrestlers are fighting: Undertaker and Crush. Crush is the real deal while Undertaker is the guy WWF got it play the fake Undertaker when the real one needed some time off about 25 years ago. So he’s kind of like a real fake lol.

Anyway that scene only plays a small part in the movie, but it was so wonderfully cheesy I’d take in the whole film.

Also, if anyone is curious about other Asian countries Myanmar is supposed to have a lot of so bad its good horror movies. My girlfriend is from there and has shown me some clips. A lot of them look like they are from the 1980s despite being filmed within this decade and they just use face paint to make people look like ghosts. I always try to get my girlfriend to watch a full one with me, but she doesn’t like bad movies like I do.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »

Keep working on her, I am sure she will come to appreciate them eventually.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  VideoAsia Horror DVDs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.