Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:32 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dr. Cyclops. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dr. Cyclops.  (Read 2300 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 23, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »

Ok this was on svengoolie tonight and i'm gonna say it was a good bad movie. 

The color was really excellent for the day.  The prints have held up very well. The cinematography was very well done to handle the "mini people" effect.

Also it was a pre nuclear war or flying saucer sci fi movie.  That makes it notable.

Sure it was a hokey mad scientist movie, the acting ranges ffom flat to "Want some eggs with all that ham? " there were  the usual racial stereotypes,  with a character named Pedro complete weeth rideeculous accent and beef moustache to the main character with a big bald head and thick glasses making him look like a stereotypical Japanese villain.

But hey, it was 1940. Stepping Fetchit and Charlie Cham were  still big. "Woke" hadn't happened yet.

As far as filming and color goes it really was a 10 in its day,  much better than many if the other "giant or mini peolle" movies that featured thick black matte on lines around the abnormally sized characters or people.

I'm amazed this little jewel has never been reviewed here.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »

This movie pre-dated blue screens by maybe 3-5 years. While traveling matte processes existed, they only worked with black & white film. No traveling mattes=no black lines. (The black lines were caused by poorly-aligned mattes.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 11:36:48 AM by Pacman000 » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »

ALBERT DEKKER is great as the DOC...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
316zombie
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »

i love this movie and albert dekker. sure, he was cheesy, but SCARY cheesy for me.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »

The theme had been done before with the Tod Browning's the DEVIL DOLL, and later in AIP's ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, but yeah- this was the best, due to Albert Dekker's Coke bottle-bespectacled mad doc.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
316zombie
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 05:34:40 PM »

devil doll is another big fave, as is puppet people, but albert was SCARY! what the heck is the name of the tv show with tiny people? i watched it as kid, and i just can't think of the name!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:13:06 PM »

My favorite scene is on that has a certain unintentional hilarity to it.  Its the scene where the good doctor is about to shrink his victims.  He does this by basically asking if they want to see the machine that gives strange power rays and tells them to get a close look at it while he darts out of the room.  Leaving everyone else gawking down the barrel of a loaded gun.

It being a pre-atomic movie really shows else where , when characters are handling uranium without protection, and the lab itself is built over an open mine of isotopes.  Its really noticeable now a days, but during a trip to Oak Ridge I learned that there was a time when this kind of understanding was common place. (Early nuclear technicians worked in reactors without a lot of protective gear).

But still, this is an enjoyable movie. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 12:37:43 AM »

devil doll is another big fave, as is puppet people, but albert was SCARY! what the heck is the name of the tv show with tiny people? i watched it as kid, and i just can't think of the name!

Land of the Giants!
Made by the same guy who gave us Lost in Space and the Towering Inferno!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 01:31:10 AM »

The cold way cyclops murders the one man is a moment of quiet terror. 

When he shot the Mexican stereotype with the shotgun he should have exploded at his size.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 01:44:32 PM »

thank you ronny! Cheers
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dr. Cyclops. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.