Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:01:07 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Child's Play (2019) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Child's Play (2019)  (Read 12058 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 20, 2019, 08:25:16 AM »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8663516/

STOP STOP STOP STOP F**KING STOP!

I don't even care about Child's Play and I was furious about this. I'm SO goddamn sick of all these remakes!
Pretty much every horror remake is bad. These Disney remakes are cancer and the Lion King looks like a crime against humanity and the art of film making as a whole.
I'm just sick to death of Hollywood remaking EVERYTHING.

Let me look into the future and tell you something right now. The Child's Play remake is going to come out, it's going to have a terrible Rotten Tomatoes score, critics are going to hate it,
fans are going to hate it, general audiences are going to hate it, and people are going to forget it even existed. You wanna know how I know?

Because it happened to the remakes of Robocop, Total Recall, and probably some others that I can't remember off the top of my head because they were that forgettable.
Yeah, sometimes we get lucky with remakes like the 2010 True Grit, which managed to surpass the original. But it's extremely rare and the reason
why those movies are good is because they had talented directors at the helm with a passion for the original.
It happened to Hellboy and it's going to happen to Child's Play. If I wasn't an absolutist when it comes to freedom of expression I would want a fifty year ban on all remakes.

I can't tell you how to spend you money but if you're willing to take a recommendation from me:
Don't see a remake unless you're completely convinced it's going to be good. Don't even watch it in the hopes for a laugh.
Don't hate watch it just to complain on the internet.
Do NOT give these people your money. If you do, then this s**t will keep happening.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:55:35 AM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Skittler
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »

TBH it looks a lot better than the silly comedic ones that have came out over the past two decades. I'm glad they are going back to being serious. It's not the original but I think it looks decent.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 03:38:18 PM »

the CHILD'S PLAY films are the absolute definition of 'bottom of the barrel' as far as popcorn horror goes....so a remake of it is like somewhere underneath the barrel.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 03:56:55 PM »

Pass.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 04:39:58 PM »

TBH it looks a lot better than the silly comedic ones that have came out over the past two decades. I'm glad they are going back to being serious. It's not the original but I think it looks decent.

It's a killer doll. How can you possibly take that seriously?

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 08:54:12 AM »

Agree with the OP so hard. Remember also the remakes of Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween, what an insult to the great directors that made them.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 11:03:29 AM »

Personally, I have zero problem with remakes.  They do nothing to harm the original (sometimes, in fact, they bring new awareness to the original for people that might not otherwise have heard of them).  Also, they don't keep other, more original films from being released - there are still plenty of them that come out all the time.

I'm not saying I enjoy the remakes (yeah, most are bad, and I don't personally see many of them), but I also recognize that there are new audiences out there that appreciate a more modern aesthetic on a tale that we loved 30 some odd years ago.  The remakes are made for them.  I know that many people will say that there was nothing wrong with the originals, so people should just go back and watch those, but, for the most part, the whole aesthetic as mentioned above of filmmaking has changed.  We have to just accept that this isn't the 70s or 80s anymore and modern audiences (most of whom are just casual filmgoers that see everything at a Cineplex, as opposed to devoted film buffs) are used to that more modern approach, so those kinds of movies will land well with them.  Much more than the vibe that we're used to.  The good thing is, I have the option to NOT go watch them, which basically points to why they don't bother me...

Going off of your list of bad ones, I'd add a few that I've actually had fun with in semi-recent years... Silent Night, IT, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Black Christmas, Sorority Row, Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead, The Hills Have Eyes, Fright Night, The Crazies, Maniac, Willard, Piranha 3D, My Bloody Valentine 3D...  Just to name a few!  Granted, not a single one of them is better than the original in MY eyes (except, perhaps, Willard), but I still dug them and had a good time, and even enjoyed some of the new approaches they took.  To go back further, without remakes, we wouldn't have The Fly, The Thing, The Blob, Cape Fear, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Cat People, etc...

I think, sometimes, we just have to take a step back and realize that we can't view everything within the spectrum of thinking it was made specifically for us.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:22:17 AM by JayJayM12 » Logged

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »

I kinda hate to admit it now, but I was a big fan of the first three Child's Plays back in the day. I was in high school when the first one came out so I was definitely a member of the target demographic for them (i.e. teenybopper horror nerds). I haven't seen any of those first three films in years, though.

After the silly Bride of Chucky and especially Seed of Chucky (which gave up all pretense of being a horror film and went straight for slapstick farce), I'd had enough.

However, my kids talked me into checking out the last two direct-to-video installments (Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky), and I was pleasantly surprised by them, they dropped all the goofy stuff and went back to an old school suspense/horror vibe. Unfortunately the new remake does not pick up where those two left off.  

I understand that Chucky creator Don Mancini (who has written every C.P. film and directed the last three) has nothing to do with the remake, and in fact he's kinda P.O.'d about it cuz he felt he'd gotten the franchise back on track in recent years. Supposedly he wants to continue "his" version as a TV series?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:23:00 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »

I'm not saying I enjoy the remakes (yeah, most are bad, and I don't personally see many of them), but I also recognize that there are new audiences out there that appreciate a more modern aesthetic on a tale that we loved 30 some odd years ago.  The remakes are made for them.  I know that many people will say that there was nothing wrong with the originals, so people should just go back and watch those, but, for the most part, the whole aesthetic as mentioned above of filmmaking has changed.  We have to just accept that this isn't the 70s or 80s anymore and modern audiences (most of whom are just casual filmgoers that see everything at a Cineplex, as opposed to devoted film buffs) are used to that more modern approach, so those kinds of movies will land well with them.  Much more than the vibe that we're used to.  The good thing is, I have the option to NOT go watch them, which basically points to why they don't bother me...
I get your points, but really...does this apply to any other examples of media/art etc? should we have a re-paint of the Mona Lisa, which younger art fans can appreciate? Should Sgt Pepper be re-recorded by Rihanna and Ed Shearan, because the Beatles version just won't cut it in 2019?

personally I don't think audiences should be pandered to in this way.  and yeah, it does actually annoy me. even the option to 'not watch' doesn't work because simply knowing that remakes of films like THE OMEN even exist is enough to make me groan. ------ #firstworldproblems and all that.....

JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »

I get your points, but really...does this apply to any other examples of media/art etc? should we have a re-paint of the Mona Lisa, which younger art fans can appreciate? Should Sgt Pepper be re-recorded by Rihanna and Ed Shearan, because the Beatles version just won't cut it in 2019?

It does apply to SOME examples of media/art, but not others.  It's kind of hard to compare, really.  With the Mona Lisa - I'd say no.  That is a singular vision, worked on by one person and considered the world over as a masterpiece in it's field.  Child's Play is the work of many, many people (even if it began as an idea by one) and considered the world over as a movie that some people liked pretty well.  Not even in the same ball park.

As far as music goes, that's a more complicated issue.  I mean, many, many songs are remade (covered) all the time, and often entire albums are even redone.  But, generally, I don't know if it's so much because we don't feel that modern audiences can't handle the original so much as it is newer artists (or, sometimes, older artists) paying tribute to a song or album that they love.  Obviously, often, it's just a money grab as well to put a modern pop twist on an old song as well.

personally I don't think audiences should be pandered to in this way.  and yeah, it does actually annoy me. even the option to 'not watch' doesn't work because simply knowing that remakes of films like THE OMEN even exist is enough to make me groan. ------
I'm not sure if I'd consider this 'pandering' so much as it is taking another crack at a movie, but giving it a modern touch that may appeal to modern audiences in a way that the original did not.  It's all business.  If there's money to be made, then they are going to do it.  And, again, there are still plenty of original ideas being made and these older movies still exist in their previous form so I just don't see the harm that's being done.  Like I said above, without that "pandering" that you mentioned above, then people might have said that we should have just been happy with previous versions of The Thing, The Fly, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc...  Those are legit masterpieces of the genre by a pretty wide consensus.  And, I also mentioned a ton of other ones that I thought were pretty fun that most audiences seemed to enjoy, so they're not without their merit.

Also, you DO still have the option to not watch.  That option really does work.  The fact that the mere existence of The Omen remake p**ses you off so much, despite the fact that most of us probably forgot years ago that it was even made, just speaks to my previous point that most people who are so opposed to remakes are only looking at it from the perspective of what THEY want and how the movie should be made for THEM. 

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 05:52:12 PM »

Ok, but surely saying that remakes are done mainly for modern audiences to enjoy, implies an equal level of 'selfishness' on their part too? that they have to be given a revamped version because the original wouldn't tick X, Y, and Z boxes for them?

I just used THE OMEN as an example... it's the whole concept of a 'remaking' a classic original vs. making a new original movie from scratch which I don't like. From a creative and a financial perspective it just seems lame to me.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic about the subject, but it's how I honestly feel...

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 07:10:34 PM »

I actually LIKED the HALLOWEEN remake better than the original film.
But yeah, most remakes suck.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pacman000
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »

Isn't the Child's Play remake done by the same folks who did the IT remake?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »

I actually LIKED the HALLOWEEN remake better than the original film.
But yeah, most remakes suck.

Blasphmer!!!  hot

The EVIL DEAD  remake made me wanna puke!

I don't mind folks making lame sequels or rip offs...but this s**t is worse than BAD...it's boring.
Garbage like BRIDE OF CHUCKY is fantastic, if you ask me. But just doing things like this is mass media exploitation. But it always has been. $$$ takes the fun out of everything.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:06:22 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 05:13:18 PM »

Some other movies that didn't have to be remade...
.LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
.I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

The only value of these films are the shock appeal. Why remake them, when you got junk like SAW and HOSTEL?

.The TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE has been massacred I don't know how many times!
It's all about $$$.  Bluesad
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:17:00 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Child's Play (2019) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.