Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:56:12 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A.J. Reviews Criterion Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: A.J. Reviews Criterion Movies  (Read 16290 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »

There's a 50% off Criterion Collection movies at Barnes and Noble both online and in stores,  running through August 2.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 10:21:29 PM »

My Criterion Collection of Bruce Lee movies just arrived in the mail today. I'm burning backup copies on to my external hard drive for my TV right now.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »

My Criterion Collection of Bruce Lee movies just arrived in the mail today. I'm burning backup copies on to my external hard drive for my TV right now.  Cheers

Nice one!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »

Bowling for Columbine (1997)
I will say that there's a couple of scenes that were a little off. Apparently there's more to the process of getting a gun through a bank than depicted.
And by using Charlton Heston's "cold dead hands" speech before discussing the Denver NRA convention it made it look as if that's where the speech happened.
I don't think they were intentionally deceitful but it makes it a little harder to sway certain opinions.

It's been years, but I think this might clarify :
From Wikipedia :

Moore then asks Heston if he would like to apologize for leading NRA rallies in Flint, Michigan (Moore's hometown) after the shooting death of a six-year-old girl at Buell Elementary School and in Littleton after the Columbine shooting. Heston claims he did not know about Kayla's death or how soon the rally was after it. When Moore presses to know if he would have cancelled the rally, he declines to answer and walks out of the interview.

MICHAEL MOORE's first film was about his own hometown of Flint, Michigan : ROGER AND ME

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »

Brazil (1985)

Brazil is a film by Terry Gilliam. His best known works would be Monty Python, The Fisher King, Time Bandits and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Much like Monty Python it's somewhat of an absurdist comedy, however it's certainly darker with more of a focus on social commentary. It's surreal on top of everything else and is just a blast to watch. It seems to mostly criticize bureaucracy much like I, Daniel Blake. However it takes a more over the top approach compared to the previously mentioned film. The sets and costumes are brilliantly detailed and the story is perfectly unpredictable.

I cannot possibly recommend Brazil enough.

10/10
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:44:06 AM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 07:51:53 PM »

The Fisher King (1991)

Yet another film by the absolutely brilliant Terry Gilliam. While not as good as Brazil it was still a really fun watch and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

The Fisher King is a movie about a radioshow host named Jack played by Jeff Bridges that verbally berated one of his listeners. Said listener very shortly afterward walked into a bar with a shotgun and shot several people dead before killing himself. Jack felt responsible for what happened and quit his show to work at a video rental store.

After getting drunk and wandering to some nearby docks, he is mistaken for a bum by some kids that decide to attack him. Jack is rescued by a mentally ill hobo named Parry, played by the legendary Robin Williams. The movie is largely about the bond that starts to develop between these two.

The Fisher King is a very uplifting story that will probably leave you in a good mood. It has its dark turns but overall I found myself feelings very happy and fulfilled by the end credits. It doesn't have the same outstanding writing, humor, and production design of Gilliam's magnum opus, Brazil. But it very much stands on its own and you're missing out if you haven't seen it.

8/10

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2020, 08:01:05 PM »

Watership Down (1978)

It was okay. Good animation for the time and pretty disturbing in its presentation. However, I didn't find myself being wowed by it at all. I wasn't super invested.

6/10
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:47:32 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2020, 02:15:18 PM »

There's a Criterion Flash Sale: 50% off all Blu-rays and DVDs at criterion.com

the flash sale ends tomorrow at noon ET

I picked up Blue Velvet and Until the End of the World (bluray) for prices even cheaper then those listed on Amazon

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »

Come and See (1985)

An incredibly dark and disturbing movie about a young boy that joins the Russian military to fight the Nazis. As the film goes on the boy loses people close to him because of the cruelty of the Nazi soldiers.

It very much emphasizes exactly how evil the Nazis were by showing the sort of things they did to Russian civilians in the war. The cinematography, acting, and creative choices makes it hard to watch, but damn good.

8/10

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2021, 04:28:14 AM »

Watership Down (1991)

It was okay. Good animation for the time and pretty disturbing in its presentation. However, I didn't find myself being wowed by it at all. I wasn't super invested.

6/10

Which version of this did you watch? The superb 1978 version, the silly family TV version from 1999-2001, or the ho-hum Netflix version from 2018? I'm just not getting the "1991" date/year part of this.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »

Watership Down (1991)
6/10

If you're referring to the 1978 version, I thought it was wonderful. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2021, 04:48:19 PM »

Sorry. I copy-pasted the font formatting of a previous entry but forgot to change the year. My bad.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A.J. Reviews Criterion Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.