Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:44:21 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movie myths busted. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movie myths busted.  (Read 5720 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 23, 2019, 12:47:19 AM »

Cleopatra 1963.

Myth: the movie was such a bomb it early killed 20th century fox and forced it to sell some of its property to survive.

Fact: Cleopatra was the highest grossing movie on the year.  

Fox was selling its  excess property 3 years before it was made due to the skyrocketing real estate value in the area. Twentieth Century Fox purchased a large property in the hinterlands near Beverly Hills in 1926. By the 1950s, studio chief Spyros Skouras realized the city had grown around the land and that a fortune could be made selling off 280 acres for development. Sales began in 1957, three years before the movie was  made.

The movie broke even in the early 70's at which point fox  ceased to record profits for it to screw people  who had contracted for a share of he profits out of money they were  owed.  Its actual profits are not  known.

Fox did cancel a couple of movies including one starring marylin Monroe due to the financial losses Cleopatra initially suffered.  Cleopatra seems to have become a universal scapegoat as Monroe's later suicide was blamed on it by some.

One side note: roddy McDowell would likely have won an oscar for his role as octavian,  unfortunately a clerical error on the studios part made him ineligible for the nomination.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:49:54 AM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 08:47:21 AM »

Nobody ever said "He'll be back." or "C'mon Bela, quit putting us on" at Lugosi's funeral.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:01:13 AM »

A stunt man was not run over & killed filming the chariot race in Ben Hur (1959); the shot of a man being run over was done with a spring-loaded dummy.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »

Charlize Theron was not the first SA person to win an Oscar.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »

Who was? Question I looked-I can't find it? Perhaps a cinematographer?
You got me!
Oh yeah MONSTER is a fantastic film.
A modern classic, and I don't say that about a lot of movies.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:31:29 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »

Nobody ever said "He'll be back." or "C'mon Bela, quit putting us on" at Lugosi's funeral.

But he was buried in his cape, right?

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 05:00:09 AM »

Who was? Question I looked-I can't find it? Perhaps a cinematographer?
You got me!
Oh yeah MONSTER is a fantastic film.
A modern classic, and I don't say that about a lot of movies.

Virtual karma: he was a cinematographer.  TeddyR

Ted Moore BSC (1914 - 1987) who won for A Man For All Seasons.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:02:05 PM »

Popular silent movie star Roscoe Arbuckle, known by the hateful nickname "fatty", was believed to have raped and murdered a young actress and used a bottle (coke or champagne) on her and between the bottle and his weight he inflicted fatal internal injuries on her that she died of.

The aspiring actress, named virginia rappe, actually died of a combination of peritonitis, alcohol, venereal disease and a botched abortion. The story of her being raped by Arbuckle, a married man, was made up by her agent and friends to avoid  a scandal. At the time the concept of abortion was so horrific to the social moores of the day many news services would not mention or describe it at all. Arbuckle was arrested, charged and tried 3 times, 2 mistrials and a final conviction.

The public, having not bee told the offensively shocking and unacceptable truth about the victim by a media more concerned with not offending the public that the truth, still considered him guilty. His career and life were destroyed.

The myth that Arbuckle "beat the rap" were completely false, tho it did him no good. In later years people came forward with the truth, piece by piece, exonerating him posthumously.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 09:00:43 AM »

Popular silent movie star Roscoe Arbuckle, known by the hateful nickname "fatty", was believed to have raped and murdered a young actress and used a bottle (coke or champagne) on her and between the bottle and his weight he inflicted fatal internal injuries on her that she died of.

The aspiring actress, named virginia rappe, actually died of a combination of peritonitis, alcohol, venereal disease and a botched abortion. The story of her being raped by Arbuckle, a married man, was made up by her agent and friends to avoid  a scandal. At the time the concept of abortion was so horrific to the social moores of the day many news services would not mention or describe it at all. Arbuckle was arrested, charged and tried 3 times, 2 mistrials and a final conviction.

The public, having not bee told the offensively shocking and unacceptable truth about the victim by a media more concerned with not offending the public that the truth, still considered him guilty. His career and life were destroyed.

The myth that Arbuckle "beat the rap" were completely false, tho it did him no good. In later years people came forward with the truth, piece by piece, exonerating him posthumously.

We'll never know the entire truth about the Arbuckle-Rappe case, but there was no firm evidence of rape. Most of the evidence that led police to arrest Arbuckle seems to be circumstantial speculation coming from Maude Delmont, who never testified to her story under oath. The defense brought up Rappe's alleged abortions, but those were really just rumors: it's not like hospitals were keeping records of illegal abortions in the 1920s. I think all we know for sure is that Rappe died of a ruptured bladder after a Hollywood drinking party, and someone tried to pin it on Arbuckle. It's not even 100% clear why Arbuckle would be the "fall guy," but the public at the time was convinced that Hollywood actors were a bunch of degenerates (probably not too far off) and the gossip rags loved the lurid story.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »

Rev, trust me. Fat people are very easy scapegoates, there is a lot ofhate and bigotry against them. Arbuckle was playing a steppin fetchit type character the audience lovesd to see portrayed as an object to laugh at. As soon as rubber meets the road, the hate comes out. I know.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »

Not only in his cape, but the whole costume.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 04:05:42 PM »

I've heard that tom baker might want to be buried in his dr. who scarf.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 10:28:47 PM »

I have a Dracula cape. I wanna be buried in it.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 10:39:30 PM »

Lugosi was NOT a herion addict for 35 years. He was a moriphine addict for about 5 years. He drank more than he did anything. Scotch or wine. The only reason he became infamous as a drug addict because he was the first movie star to come out publicly and entered rehab. Which I thought was a brave thing to do.

Also- the film Ed Wood shows Lugosi swearing like a sailor. Lugosi never used profanity in public.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 10:44:16 PM »

I have a Dracula cape. I wanna be buried in it.

I have a Dracula cape too !   Thumbup TeddyR  Mine has a hole in it.. I lent it out...  Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movie myths busted. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.