Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:37:00 AM
714333 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Avengers: Endgame (very spoilery) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Avengers: Endgame (very spoilery)  (Read 6937 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 27, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »

A thread for people who have seen or will never see Avengers, Endgame.

Watched it last night, enjoyed it very much.   I'm someone who has enjoyed all the MCU films, and loved most of them, so this film had a lot of investment going into it.

Stand-outs and thoughts (just random ones, nothing very well considered):

-  Tony's snap could be used to retcon pretty much anything they want retconned.  Hmm.

-  Cool reprisal of Peter Quill's "Come and Get Your Love" dance.

-  Was impressed by how they committed to Big Lebowski Thor for the movie.  Did Not See Coming that he'd join the Guardians.

-  Particularly loved seeing the Ancient One just calmly standing there defending the NY Sanctum, and having a conversation with Banner.

-  Hard to see Natasha die.

-  Figured Tony would die, and he died well. 

-  I loved that Cap hung up his shield for all those years and took a life for himself as he did. 

-  Thanos' heavy double bladed weapon was really cool. 

=  Was surprised to see how much heavy lifting was given to Nebula's character.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »

Here are a few comments (and SPOILERS):

I saw it today and really liked it. I thought they overdid the "fat, drunk Thor" routine, but I can live with it. I got choked up when Tony died (but not so much when Natasha did, even though I love that character). Not sure I liked Steve passing on his shield to Sam . . . I'm not a big fan of seeing someone take over as Captain America. I wish Captain Marvel had more screen time.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Archivist

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:46:43 PM »

Having managed to avoid spoilers all the way until I saw the movie, this thread now comes at the right time. I've been a huge fan of the MCU movies since Iron Man, and have enjoyed previous Marvel properties like Dolph Lundgren's Punisher, Wesley Snipes' Blade, and even the crappy Spider-Man TV movies like The Dragon's Challenge, not to mention the old Fantastic Four and Spider-Man cartoons.

Was shocked at what Thanos had become at the beginning, nor did I forsee his fate. Ouch.

The way they tied together everything in Endgame was just stunning. The flipping back to old movies and locations, wow. Giving all those characters like Thor and Tony Stark emotional closure was freaking genius. When the Mjolnir reveal happens in the final battle, I was like S#$%!!! I never saw that coming.

Looking back over the years that the MCU has been developed, deeply enjoying so many of these films and appreciating the world building and character development that has gone into them, I feel... I don't know, honoured? to have been witness to this. Yes, this is all commercial and for making money, but heck, Marvel Studios writers and directors obviously care very deeply about these characters and properties, and know what the fans want and will like. No MCU movie has flopped, unlike the dismal attempts at the Fantastic Four or the abysmal Spider-man III.

This is a very special time for comic fans who have grown up reading the stories and watching the many attempts to bring them to the big screen. We now live in a time when it is not just possible, but very real. I just wish Stan had been here to see at all finally tie together, but I'm sure he's seeing it from his palace of imagination in another realm.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 07:43:09 AM »

While I appreciate Thor's mental breakdown, I wasn't pleased that it was played for laughs most of the time.

I have been waiting for Cap to pick up Mjolnir since 2012. It happened pretty much exactly how I envisioned it.

Everything resolved itself surprisingly well, although there is that moment when 2012 Loki makes off with the Tesseract that seems to leave a giant continuity problem.

Overall, definitely worth seeing.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Drink

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Archivist

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 01:02:30 AM »

Everything resolved itself surprisingly well, although there is that moment when 2012 Loki makes off with the Tesseract that seems to leave a giant continuity problem.

I thought that at first, but it is resolvable within the confines of the 'rules' the movie set out. Bruce explains that the when you travel into the past, that past becomes your present, and stays the same. The Ancient One said that if you remove the Stones from the timeline, you'll create multiple timelines with bad consequences.

Loki disappears with the Tesseract at the end of Avengers 2012. That means there is now an evil Loki out there, with the Tesseract, and without the experience of redemption in Thor The Dark World, Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War. This Loki would coexist with the original that we have seen until now, and now become the main Loki since the original was killed by Thanos in Infinity War.

The question now becomes, what was Loki 2 doing all this time while the other events took place? This is the leadup to the Disney Plus series that Marvel is developing even as we write.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »

I thought that at first, but it is resolvable within the confines of the 'rules' the movie set out. Bruce explains that the when you travel into the past, that past becomes your present, and stays the same. The Ancient One said that if you remove the Stones from the timeline, you'll create multiple timelines with bad consequences.

Loki disappears with the Tesseract at the end of Avengers 2012. That means there is now an evil Loki out there, with the Tesseract, and without the experience of redemption in Thor The Dark World, Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War. This Loki would coexist with the original that we have seen until now, and now become the main Loki since the original was killed by Thanos in Infinity War.

The question now becomes, what was Loki 2 doing all this time while the other events took place? This is the leadup to the Disney Plus series that Marvel is developing even as we write.

The continuity break is that, in the "main" timeline, we saw Thor take Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard. When Steve, Tony, and Scott went to retrieve the Tesseract and Loki escaped with it, it has to have created a divergence where that didn't happen. The upshot of this whole movie seems to be that this incident has created 14,000,605 divergent timelines, but we -- as an audience -- ended up seeing the one in which the Avengers win.

And, yeah, I'm sure that Loki's escape sets up the Loki TV series.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Archivist

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:25:07 PM »

The continuity break is that, in the "main" timeline, we saw Thor take Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard. When Steve, Tony, and Scott went to retrieve the Tesseract and Loki escaped with it, it has to have created a divergence where that didn't happen. The upshot of this whole movie seems to be that this incident has created 14,000,605 divergent timelines, but we -- as an audience -- ended up seeing the one in which the Avengers win.

Holy crap, you're right. So in the timeline in which Loki escapes with the Tesseract, Thanos wins?? Or does Dr. Strange only take into account the muiltiple timelines that occurred from that point, 'before' Loki takes the Tesseract, thereby creating yet another timeline in addition. They're going to have to do some serious jiggery-pokery to explain this one.

Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 07:55:48 AM »

Holy crap, you're right. So in the timeline in which Loki escapes with the Tesseract, Thanos wins?? Or does Dr. Strange only take into account the muiltiple timelines that occurred from that point, 'before' Loki takes the Tesseract, thereby creating yet another timeline in addition. They're going to have to do some serious jiggery-pokery to explain this one.

Maybe a premise of the Loki TV series will be him realizing that he has messed up time and he has to go around Quantum Leap style fixing things to create a reality that suits him.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 10:44:02 PM »

I avoided reading this thread till I saw the movie tonight.  I was wonderfully satisfied with the whole thing!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 11:35:48 PM »

I liked it but I can see why people would hate it.

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »

I liked it, glad I saw it, but didn't love or hate it. But I'm just a casual fan of the franchise, this was made for the hardcore fans (of whom there are millions).

Honestly, I've always preferred the entries where they focused on one superhero at a time.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »

I haven't seen it yet. That's ok, I don't care about spoilers.
Yeah, so Cappy is gone-and that's it for me with the AVENGERS.
BUT! I am looking forward to the Fantastic 4 and SILVER SURFER! (and if they are gonna be there-ya know SUB-MARIENER can't be far behind! Or Galactus!!!).

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »

If Marvel/Disney for whatever reason stopped all production of all future MCU movies-I'd be ok with it.  This was a great conclusion for so many of the characters we've been watching for all these years.

The final battle was my favorite  part as seeing all these characters in one grand finale.

Any complaints I had would feel real nitpicky.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Archivist

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 01:48:43 AM »

@Winged Serpent - I have to say that I agree. If that was the finale for all Marvel movies of those characters, I'd be pretty satisfied. They built a whole world, 22 movies in 11 years, and all of them high quality and commercially successful, who the heck does that? I'll say it again, I think it's very unlikely that we'll see this kind of movie franchise growth and success again in our lifetimes.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 07:43:56 AM »

It should have been the last one, but they'll push their luck and run the series into the ground, eventually going out with a whimper.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Avengers: Endgame (very spoilery) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.