Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:07:07 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Oldest video entertainment you've watched? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oldest video entertainment you've watched?  (Read 6107 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 29, 2019, 11:26:45 PM »

Not long  ago a channel,  comettv I believe, ran the old flash Gordon serials,  yes the ones with buster crabbe. I watched them as I am a lifelong SF fhan and was curious to see how it started.

These were from the 30's. The first was done  in 36, make it over 80 years  old now. I was amazed to see how much of star wars was visible in these old serials. It was also amazing to see how peolle handled special effects that lng ago.

What are some of he oldest things you've ever watched?  (Not your underwear, Trevor!)

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »

"A Trip to the Moon" from 1902.

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 12:16:10 PM »

I'd add "birth of a nation" to this list. It was a bad movie in the sense that a lot of people were murdered because of it, and promoted brutal racism and a terrorist organization, the kkk.

From a movie history viewpoint it was historic in many ways and created a lot of things that have become standard in movies ever since.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 01:40:37 PM »

I seen lotsa George Melies shorts from the late 1800's.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 02:43:43 PM »

If your talking about things that movies that are old, and I watch more than once, and that I enjoyed, I would say lotsa Harold Llyod and Laurel and Hardy shorts. Anything with Lon Chaney, Gloria Swanson, or Louise Brooks.
Caligari, the Golem, NOSFERATU, the Mabuse series.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »

I'd add "birth of a nation" to this list. It was a bad movie in the sense that a lot of people were murdered because of it, and promoted brutal racism and a terrorist organization, the kkk.

From a movie history viewpoint it was historic in many ways and created a lot of things that have become standard in movies ever since.

I never sat threw the whole thing. It's boring.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pacman000
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 04:25:32 PM »

I'm not sure. Perhaps that Edison film of the man sneezing.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 05:44:21 PM »

I never sat threw the whole thing. It's boring.

I watched it in a film class. After about 30 minutes, the guy in front of me had his head down on his desk and was sleeping soundly.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »

Well, some of it is almost unintentional funny today, in a horrible, evil, nazi level racist message that got innocent people murdered kinda way.

There was the scene where a white actor who was literally slathered in shoe polish played a black man determinate to rape a white woman, and was chasing her, bug eyed, with literally thick ropes of drool hanging from his mouth as he silently roared in mindless lust.  Lookingup

The woman threw herself from a cliff rather that be raped.

And as horrible as it sounds and was, when you watch it you might actually find yourself laughing at just how ridiculous the scene was, I mean it was the apex of bad comedy. As awful as it was the sight of this obviously white actor slathered in black show polish running around bulging eyed, roaring, with thick strings of drool hanging from his mouth is just hilarious in a horrible sort of way.

You may laugh and groan at the same time i admit.

There was another scene I'm surprised that Indy didn't practically choke on if he saw it. It implied that after the war the northern government filled state senates in the south with all black members.

Now I won't claim to be quite the historian indy probably is, but I know damn good and well that no state in america has ever had anywhere near a majority of black members at any time, let alone being filled with them.

And again, the scenes of the all black state senates acting like drunken babboons was so absolutely ridiculous you kinda have to laugh at it. You're laughing at it, not with it, understand.

pennywise37

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 05:50:19 AM »

i've shorts from the 1880's or was it 1890's? i love Silent Movies has anyone  seen "Judex? the (1915) version it's just Brilliant as is 'La Vampires i think it's called also from (1915) those are both early Serials and both just plain brilliant if you have the time check those out they are well worth it
pennywise37

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 05:52:25 AM »

i forgot to add that Birth of a nation which also is from (1915) was actually funded and made by the KKK no joke which just baffles me that a black man would make a movie with the same name what was it over 100 years later? i haven't seen either version to be honest but just to say i have i plan to at some point to see one or the other or both of them
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »

THE THREE STOOGES I believe it's the oldes thing I've watched. They were a current running in air channels here.
The ZORRO series from the 50s were also common, the remastered version, an amazing show. It's a very well known show here in Argentina, and in fact the protagonist, Guy Williams, spent his last years in this county.
I'm currently watching the original episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:50:08 AM by Gabriel Knight » Logged

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »

Well, some of it is almost unintentional funny today, in a horrible, evil, nazi level racist message that got innocent people murdered kinda way.

There was the scene where a white actor who was literally slathered in shoe polish played a black man determinate to rape a white woman, and was chasing her, bug eyed, with literally thick ropes of drool hanging from his mouth as he silently roared in mindless lust.  Lookingup

The woman threw herself from a cliff rather that be raped.

And as horrible as it sounds and was, when you watch it you might actually find yourself laughing at just how ridiculous the scene was, I mean it was the apex of bad comedy. As awful as it was the sight of this obviously white actor slathered in black show polish running around bulging eyed, roaring, with thick strings of drool hanging from his mouth is just hilarious in a horrible sort of way.

You may laugh and groan at the same time i admit.

There was another scene I'm surprised that Indy didn't practically choke on if he saw it. It implied that after the war the northern government filled state senates in the south with all black members.

Now I won't claim to be quite the historian indy probably is, but I know damn good and well that no state in america has ever had anywhere near a majority of black members at any time, let alone being filled with them.

And again, the scenes of the all black state senates acting like drunken babboons was so absolutely ridiculous you kinda have to laugh at it. You're laughing at it, not with it, understand.

During the early stages of Reconstruction, many black officeholders were elected to the state legislatures, and there were six black members of Congress, as well as one member of the United States Senate, Hiram Revels of Mississippi (who ironically won the Senate seat last held by Jefferson Davis before the War!).  However, only in one state - South Carolina - did blacks compose a majority of any state legislative house, and that was in the lower chamber, not the State Senate.  Still, it was  a great leap forward that was nullified as soon as Southern Democrats won control of their state governments back.  By 1900, blacks throughout the South were, for all practical purposes, disenfranchised and remained that way until the 1960's. 

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »

in the very early 90's like (1989) to like (1990) there was a channel called HA!  and it was a really damn good channel i really miss it to be honest and was really p**sed off when they took it off the air. they used to show all the time Laurel & Hardy shorts and that was where i was introduced to those 2 lovable guys.

in case anyone hasn't heard of it later in that channel turned into what is now known as Comedy Central.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »

I've actually watched the oldest surviving video.  It's a couple of seconds long and show a person in a garden. 

The oldest one I've actually watched for entertainment purposes was a Haunted Castle or House of the Devil from the late 1890s. 
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Oldest video entertainment you've watched? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.