Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:28:42 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Popculture in bad movies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Popculture in bad movies  (Read 4498 times)
claws
« on: May 16, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »

A few examples from German movies I've seen, but feel free to post about whatever bad movie with popculture input.

Popcorn und Himbeereis ("Popcorn and Raspberry Ice Cream") (1978) ~ There was a bit of a craze for Raspberry Ice Cream in Germany thanks to a song released in 1977: Himbeereis zum Frühstück ("Raspberry Ice Cream for Breakfast") gave Raspberry Ice Cream some sort of popularity boost. Even though the movie is unrelated to the song, the makers included "Raspberry Ice Cream" in the title simply to lure audience.

Drei und eine halbe Portion ("Three Man and a Half") (1985) ~ German athletes Jürgen Hingsen and Rolf Milser became media darlings during the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. To capitalize on their Olympic success both starred in a quickly filmed family friendly action adventure released in January 1985. As expected, the movie was awful with both Hingsen and Milser doing a poor man's rendition of a vague Bud Spencer & Terence Hill type of beat-em-up comedy.

Pinups und ein heißer Typ ("Pinups and a Hot Guy") (1981) ~ This comedy tried to capitalize on American girl group "The Pinups" who scored a minor hit with a song called "New Wave Lover." By the time the movie was released nobody cared about The Pinups anymore.

Sunshine Reggae auf Ibiza ("Sunshine Reggae in Ibiza") (1983) ~ "Sunshine Reggae" by Dutch duo Laid Back was a summer smash in Germany in 1983. Of course filmmakers had to make a painfully bad movie based on the song.

Gib Gas - Ich will Spaß! (Hangin' Out) (1983) ~ German singing sensation Nena (99 Luftballons) tried her hand at acting, together with German singing sensation Markus (who?). This sensational combination turned out to be a sensational turd. The only good thing about this teen-comedy musical is the soundtrack that includes most of Nena's hits.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:41:46 PM by claws » Logged
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »

Spiceworld.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »

the Village People and Bruce Jenner (!) in CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC (1980).

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:03:06 PM »

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978)
Featuring, a rippoff Of the RSO logo that was on every 45 du jour, covers of every Beatles song by nearly every celeb du jour, with a big chorus number at the end with lots of close ups of celebrities who had nothing to do with the movie, but had some time off & could probably be recognized by Somebody's generation.......

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:45:43 PM »

Several Herschell Gordon Lewis movies had scenes of people eating Kentucky Fried Chicken. Some scenes were filmed in Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants and some scenes even featured Colonel Sanders.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »

Dunkin Donuts in Jack and Jill

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

pretty much every second of Mac and Me
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:12:22 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 09:40:39 AM »

Several Herschell Gordon Lewis movies had scenes of people eating Kentucky Fried Chicken. Some scenes were filmed in Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurants and some scenes even featured Colonel Sanders.

Al Adamson also had KFC and Col. Sanders in HELL'S BLOODY DEVILS (1970). KFC was catering food for the actors and crew for free, as long as he could be in the movie.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »

.BREAKIN' (1984) featured break dancing. (Tiana loves movies where people dance).
.ROLLER BOOGIE (1979) was about dancing on roller skates (?!) and starred Linda Blair (!!!).
.and of course SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977).

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »

oh- all these f**king Lego movies.  Hatred
Why not make a movie about Linkin Logs?  Question

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »

Shriek of the Mutilated (1974) features a party montage with people eating popcorn. The song Popcorn by Hot Butter (No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1972) can be heard during that scene. Because of rights issues the song was removed for the film's DVD release.

Camp Fear (1991) features a Lambada song & dance contest sequence. Lambada was "hot" in 1990. Camp Fear was actually filmed in 1990.

Doppelganger (1993) features a scene with Drew Barrymore solo dancing to a song with a identical drum beat to "Sadeness (Part I)" by Enigma. Enigma were all the rage in the early 1990s. Their music style was covered by many artists (Set Adrift on Memory Bliss by P.M. Dawn for example).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:33:35 PM by claws » Logged
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 07:50:58 AM »

G.I. Joe was my favorite cartoon when I was little so I always get excited whenever I see it represented in something unrelated. For cheesy horror movies two that come to mind are the original Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984) and Pulse (1988).

In Silent Night, Deadly Night it is just a big mask or something IIRC so I wasn't that excited as I didn't even recognize the thing. I'm pretty sure the same scenes featuring it pop up in Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987) because that movie is mostly just recycled footage from the first movie anyway (Garbage Day scene notwithstanding). More exciting to me was Pulse. For such a forgettable movie I really got a kick out of the little kid using the real toys from the then recent G.I. Joe: The Movie (1987). I don't think it makes much sense that he's having Nemesis Enforcer fight Golobulous IIRC since they are both Cobras, but he's quite young so it's forgivable. Usually when kids are playing with toys in movies it is something generic or at least a much less cool franchise.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »

I'm pretttty sure that PARADISE LOST (2006) was the first film I saw where a character actually 'Googled' something... as opposed to just 'searching something on the net', or used an unspecified or made-up search engine.

dunno if that strictly counts as pop culture but anyway...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:55:56 PM by zombie no.one » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 01:24:29 AM »

CAR WASH (1976)  

Small | Large

Small | Large

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 01:26:31 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Popculture in bad movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.