Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:01 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Captain Marvel! (spoilers) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Captain Marvel! (spoilers)  (Read 3331 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 09, 2019, 01:54:16 AM »

Enjoyed this one very much, ignore the troll hype about it.

The movie is more of a relaxed pace, but the story telling was good.
Brie Larson plays a great hero.
Plenty of good action, great chemistry between Larson and Samuel L Jackson.
The flerken.  Enough said.  I am pleased... .that rocked.  Awaiting the Endgame!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

Enjoyed this one very much, ignore the troll hype about it.

The movie is more of a relaxed pace, but the story telling was good.
Brie Larson plays a great hero.
Plenty of good action, great chemistry between Larson and Samuel L Jackson.
The flerken.  Enough said.  I am pleased... .that rocked.  Awaiting the Endgame!

And so is everyone else. Awaiting the Endgame.

I meant to see Captain Marvel last weekend, but, it wasn't feeling that well, so I'm going to make an effort to see it this weekend. Till then, here are some figures for everyone to enjoy.

21st Marvel film.
07th largest Marvel opening.
06th largest domestic + foreign boxoffice at $455 million
05th largest foreign boxoffice at $302 million. With it yet to open in Japan.
03rd largest March opening with $153 million or 17.7% higher than expected opening of $130 million
Expected box office total of $800 million.

In comparison . . .
How to Train Your Dragon just falls short of $100 million with a 3rd week boxoffice of $14.7 million or a decline of 51% from the previous week.
Next 3 films combined had a domestic boxoffice of $19.1 million.

There will be a sequel.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »

Gonna likely see this this upcoming weekend.  I'm excited to see it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:35:00 PM »

THOROUGHLY fun flick!! 
Everything worked for me, and the teaser during the credits is definitely worth the wait.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »

I enjoyed it. Although, I don't think the story is as friendly to the average (non-comic book loving) movie-goer as some of the other Marvel movies. For example, IRON MAN and CAPTAIN AMERICA's origins  are easy to understand because the movies cover them in very straightforward narratives. CAPTAIN MARVEL's origin is told in a surreal manner that switches back and forth between locations, characters and bits and pieces of memories in a cloudy, dreamlike way. I think people who aren't familiar with the whole Kree-Skrull thing may find the first 45 minutes of the movie confusing.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:17:25 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »

Captain Marvel

One reason not to see it.
1. And I won't say why, because it may give away too much to those who have not seen it.

And a baker's dozen reasons to see it.
1. The Stan Lee montage at the start of the film.
Lord, I never knew how much I am going to miss that old man.

2. Stan Lee's cameo.
If not his last, then one of his last.

3. Coincidence?
The doctor and the actress having the same surname.

4. Maria Rambeau
Talk has it, that she is going to get her own superhero film.

5. The President Trump smackdown.
Anyone catch that.

6. Women
God bless 'em. They are finally nearing parity with men among most aspects of filmmaking. Note the credits.

7. The Avengers' cameos.

8. The scene after the credits.
Or, why one always stays to it is truly over.

9. They no longer exist in the number they once did.
a. Altavista
b. Barnaum's animal crackers box.
c. Blockbuster
d. Fresh Prince of Bel Aire
e. Happy Days
f. Radio Shack

10. The Blockbuster joke
I knew the joke. What I did not know was how funny it'd be.

11. Lose the eyepach.
(IMHO) one Samuel L. Jackson's best performances. Supporting Actor Oscar nomination?

12. 2001 : Space Odyssey
The pen floating in space.

13. And one for next time.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 03:47:27 PM »

And a final reason to see it. It's another one in the American cultural wars.

Whereas, other countries have their "wars," sometimes erupting into "real wars," most of which are confined to the political arena. Only the U.S. engages in "cultural warfare," or, at least to the intensity with which we do.

It is hard to know when the "war" 1st broke out, but, most who have studied the issue date it back to 2016 and the remake of the 1984 Ghostbusters. Since that time the "war" has engulfed such films as Wonder Woman and Black Panther.

"Good!" "Bad!" Those are opinions and (IMHO) can be argued, but, the box office figures, those are fact and thus unarguable, but, there are some who would argue even the meaning of those. Thus, they remind me of the ancient Greek warriors would rather died defending their position than retreat and/or surrender, so they live to fight another day.

They also remind me of the days in the old American West, where, if you wanted to get back at someone, then you poisoned the local water hole, so the water was undrinkable. Of course, that would make it undrinkable for you, too. I find some parts of the internet like that. The discussions have become so poisonous, that I find them unreadable.

Not here. Not here. While we may disagree, the disagreements seldom become poisonous and unreadable, and for that I congratulate all who post here.

The next film in the American culture wars, there is talk that the Asian superhero Shang-Chi may be getting his own film. That appears to be one step nearer with a director being assigned to direct.

As for how much Captain Marvel has made, for some reason, I can't get the exact figures, but I do know that it is still sucking up all the money at the boxoffice. In its 2nd week in release it made 50% more at the box office, than the next 4 films combined and 400% more than the next highest grossing film--Wonderland Park--at the box office.

Not only here, but--perhaps--more surprising how well it is doing internationally. When it opened in the U.K., 67% of the box office revenue went to Captain America. With Fighting with My Family in 2nd place and the latest Lego movie in 3rd place.

Next film: probably Tim Burton's Dumbo, where there is talk of it being one of the surprise hits of the year. What surprises me is how Michael Keaton's film career has evolved, from playing the titular hero or anti-hero to playing the villain. 1st in Spider-man : Homecoming than--apparently--here.

And we will see what we shall see.

Jim H

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 12:01:15 AM »

2. Stan Lee's cameo.
If not his last, then one of his last.

One of his last, but I remember them mentioning James Gunn directed like 15+ little bits with him that were intended to be used as cameos and that was only like three or four films ago.  So I'd expect he'll definitely show up in Endgame, and probably a few more after that (unless they decide to deliberately clean the slate for the next phase).
chainsaw midget

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »

The ONLY thing that bugged me about this movie was that at no point was she ever called Captain Marvel, not even as an insult or a joke. 

Well, okay, there's actually TWO things that bugged me.  I really expected to see the Supreme Intelligence true form after they built up "nobody sees it's true form." 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Captain Marvel! (spoilers) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.