Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:04:07 AM
714205 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Ideas of eternity. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Ideas of eternity.  (Read 5534 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »

In school I tried to reason out what death would be like without an afterlife.

We'd read Plato's The Apology of Socrates, & he said death without an afterlife would be like a dreamless sleep. That didn't make sense to me; I'd already read we always dream; we just don't remember them unless we wake up during them.

So I tried to solve the question using my understanding nothingness, based on what I'd learned in science. It would be dark, for there would be no light. It would be cold, for there would be no heat. It would not be wet; there would be no water. But darkness, coldness, & dryness are all things I could feel, & I wouldn't have a ind to feel them. I wouldn't have a mind to feel the passage of time.

So then what? Without an afterlife we could not feel death, but we could feel the events which led to our death, & we'd never realize those events ended. In short, hell is inevitable, but Heaven would have to be the work of a merciful God.

If Hell is a place... I'm not sure it would work if it was escapable. It would become an economic issue, & years of pleasure would no longer be scarce. The rich man might decide 5 minutes with Abraham are worth a 1000 extra years of torment. After all Lazarus has been sitting in Abraham's lap so long, it's only fair to pull him away.

Sooooo, a "merciful god" creates a universe  and life where "hell is inevitable" but heaven is only  a possibility?

I'm no fan of mormonism and would love to see a certain Mormon in some sort of hell,  and I think mormonism's effect on Utah is a good argument for keeping religion out of government,  but I bave to  admit their idea of he afterlife is better than most abrahamic spinoffs.

As to me if there is an afterlife I can't imagine it.  Maybe there's a transition stage where things seem to be like your old life at first or at least are familiar for a while as you  adjust. Maybe this life is just "existence 101" and it's point it to be he beginning of an existsence tbat goes behind it. 

I look at humanity and while therecs so much awfulness in it there is also wonder.  Wecve gone from the stone age to discovering and mastering some fundamental forces of the universe like the electron and the photon,  we'vs cracked the atom open and found new worlds inside them,  wecve done so much for creatures that thousands of years ago just used wood and stone.

Maybe there is something better and being this.  But I never could accept any of the abrahamic views that tells us we exit either to be mindless praise production units for an egotistical megalomaniac or to suffer eternal torture for not becoming mindless praise production units for said egomaniac.  Humans have developed such knowledge,  grown our science and technology, we're able to be so much more than the dismal alternatives offered by the abrahamic faiths.  I just feel they can't be right.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:25:28 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Ideas of eternity. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.