Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:10:44 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  VHS tapes « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VHS tapes  (Read 2829 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: June 26, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »

I actually collect them before the was a market for them. I have  atape of the HUMAN MONSTER (1939) with Bela from 1979! There's a promo before the film saying how cool the new vhs technology is and how you can own a movie for only $49!

$49! That was like a lot of money in 1979!  Buggedout It's a lot of money now!
And by the way- the print of the film is scratchy and washed out. Like it came out of an old theater attic after being played at 100's of Saturday kiddie matinees.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:13:54 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:12:20 PM »

in the book American Psycho the guy rents and re rents Body Double like 10 times. the idea of purchasing a video was so extravagant even a rich Wall st guy wouldn't do it.
claws
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »

Me and VHS tapes:

- My first mail order VHS was The Demon Lover (1976) in the 1990s.
- I paid $79.95 each for Brain Damage (1988) and Meridian (1990) on VHS.
- First movie I bought on VHS was Purple Rain (1984) with a sell-through price of $29.98.
- MacroVision wouldn't let me copy The Manhattan Project (1986) and gave me a hard time with Weird Science (1985). I was finally able to copy Weird Science to beta without MacroVision flashes and jitters.
- I bought a sealed mint copy of Scream (1981) for $5.00 when one of our favorite rental places closed for good.
- The only rental my VCR damaged was Delirious (1991). I was able to patch it up. The rental place never noticed.
- I had about 2,000+ movies on VHS and beta when I made the switch to DVD in 1998.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:16:49 PM by claws » Logged
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 01:00:59 PM »

The first VHS I got was the original live action TMNT movie, my dad gave it to me. I think I was 7 or something, the third movie was already out. I still have it somewhere in his house.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:53:43 PM »

I paid a fortune for a VHS tape like 35 years ago... never watch the movie, though it was just on TCM.  I have a boatload of VHS tapes; lots of Sinister Cinema and gifts people gave me, plus lots of stuff I replaced later on DVD (like CARNIVAL OF SOULS).  I haven't watched a video tape in years. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 03:11:06 PM »

I have around 20ish VHS tapes -- most are in good shape and I watch them somewhat regularly

among are some I bought and was gifted that I never watched for some reason

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:22:25 PM »

During the bulk close out craze, I went hog wild.
I have the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS, pan & scan, before all the revisions.

When I was moving about ten years ago, my stepdad assumed they were all garbage (along with a number of other things), and I wound up spending thanksgiving day fishing around in a dumpster.

He still doesn't understand why I don't trust him.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »

First VHS I ever bought was Creepshow.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 02:32:57 AM »

I've got 60 VHS tapes: mostly films which I can't find on DVD.

The first VHS I bought was the film Baffled! with Leonard Nimoy: I paid ZAR100 ($10) for it and I still have it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 01:10:45 PM »

I had tons of VHS back in the day but lost them all in a basement flooding incident in the late 90s. At the time I was super p*ssed, of course, but since the format was already on the way out, I guess Mother Nature kinda did me a favor in the long run.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 01:52:37 PM »

my VHS collection: Return of the Jedi, The Empire Strikes Back, MST3K the Movie, The Fly with Jeff Goldblum which could be in better shape, Highlander 2: The Quickening, The Great Outdoors, Ghostbusters, Falling Down, Mystic Pizza, To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday, Ken Burn's baseball documentary (5 VHS tapes), Dirty Dancing, a career retrospective on Cal Ripken Jr., Doctor Zhivago (2 VHS tapes), Forrest Gump, Starship Troopers and Miracle on 34th Street

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »

Actually threw out my last VHS tape today. It was a copy of Bucky O'Hare that I had been given long after the demise of VHS players. Anyway, if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll rescue it from the bin and post it to you.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Archivist

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 11:43:12 PM »

During the bulk close out craze, I went hog wild.
I have the original Star Wars trilogy on VHS, pan & scan, before all the revisions.

When I was moving about ten years ago, my stepdad assumed they were all garbage (along with a number of other things), and I wound up spending thanksgiving day fishing around in a dumpster.

He still doesn't understand why I don't trust him.

Never let your stepdad near anything you own. Although, I'm pretty sure you don't need a random Badmovies buddy to remind you of this.

Interestingly, I/we (family) don't have a lot of prerecorded tapes, probably because we had the luxury of two VHS machines which allowed us to copy any tapes we got from the rental store. I've got boxes and boxes of VHS tapes recorded from the TV and from other tapes, though.

One of the first VHS tapes we ever bought was for me. It was The Muppet Movie (1979). I still have that tape, decades on.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

One of my friends was so taken by E.T. The Extraterrestrial (1982) that she bought a VHS tape for the express purpose of being able to show her grandchilddren. At the time, she didn't even have grandchildren yet! But the movie affected her so much that it was something she knew she had to share with her future grandkids. And fortunately, they loved it.

Another friend asked me to make a copy of Iron And Silk (1990), an independent martial arts movie about an American who traveled to China to learn kung fu. It was a terrible ex-rental copy, so dirty that it messed with my VHS player, something which had never happened before. Told my friend to take that VHS tape far, far away from me.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 11:56:16 PM »

I just bought KISS AND KILL, COMEDY OF TERRORS, CREATURE OF THE WALKING DEAD, the CONQUER WORM, and the DEAD DON'T DIE on vhs last weekend at a flea market for $3 dollars apiece! I have a working vhs player too!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Archivist

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 11:21:11 PM »

Now that I think about it, there was a period when I bought a lot of prerecorded anime VHS tapes, because it was the only way to see most of these things in Australia. The American imports were crazy expensive, but I still shelled out for them because I loved anime so much. I have two archive boxes of anime VHS tapes from that time, most of them only watched two or three times at the most. I ought to transfer them to digital files, considering a lot of them aren't online.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  VHS tapes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.