Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What movie first made you love movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What movie first made you love movies?  (Read 5346 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: June 26, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »

...like the geek s**t we watch?
I first saw FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1942) on a B+W TV back in 1967. I was f**king amazed. I saw the PLANET OF THE APES at a theater in Wappinger Falls, NY with my brother Mike and Aunt Carroll in 68. I was hooked.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
316zombie
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »

alice in wonderland-1954. we had just moved back to the states fron newfoundland, i was 4, saw it at the drivein. hooked forever. for horror movies, a drivein triple feature of dracula,frankenstein and the mummy, the B&W versions, when i was 6.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 08:58:42 PM »

alice in wonderland-1954. we had just moved back to the states fron newfoundland, i was 4, saw it at the drivein. hooked forever. for horror movies, a drivein triple feature of dracula,frankenstein and the mummy, the B&W versions, when i was 6.

You have my upmost respect!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:43 PM »

I can remember when I was a LITTLE kid, no more than 5, Channel 4 would run this Sunday afternoon movie show called FAMILY THEATER, but it was all classic black and white horror films - good stuff like DRACULA, THE WOLFMAN, and FRANKENSTEIN, and crap like THE MONOLITH MONSTERS.  I watched them ALL!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 09:56:01 PM »

I can remember when I was a LITTLE kid, no more than 5, Channel 4 would run this Sunday afternoon movie show called FAMILY THEATER, but it was all classic black and white horror films - good stuff like DRACULA, THE WOLFMAN, and FRANKENSTEIN, and crap like THE MONOLITH MONSTERS.  I watched them ALL!

I seen the MONOLITH MONSTERS on channel 28 Double Creature Feature with some obscure thing called BEAST OF MOROCCO. That was about 1971, I think. Maybe 1972. It was out of Mishiwaka, Indiana.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:58:50 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 02:29:51 AM »

When I was tiny my parents had a projector. I've been told I loved watching The Blob and The Wolfman on it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 02:50:00 AM »

For me it was Murder On The Orient Express (1974) which I saw with my folks when I was 7.

Sir Sean Connery and Vanessa Redgrave think that's funny  TeddyR

The first bad movie I ever saw was the horrible Lost Horizon (1973): what a pile of s**t that was.  Buggedout It also made me a bad movie fan so its not all bad.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 06:09:00 AM »

I can't really say, but I do remember watching a s**tload of horror movies when I was a kid. The most prominent memories I have are from CRITTERS and TREMORS, which were sorta new at the time. During summer vacations, with my group of friends we gathered every weekend and rented a horror movie and sometimes a comedy, depending on how disturbing was the first one. I will never forget IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, I was the only one who remained awake. Even when I couldn't understand much of the movie, I was amazed by it.
I distinctly remember a night when all my cousins stayed in my house and two movies were on the only two channels we had: CRITTERS and ET. We wanted to watch the evil hairy monsters, but sadly the girls complained more to the authorities (read: my mom) and we got stuck with that f**king gay alien.

I can't stand ET.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 06:38:31 AM »

I can't stand ET.

I was upset by the undercurrent in that movie: ET comes to earth, no one recognizes him for who he truly is, his Earth mother's name is Mary, he has one true disciple (Elliott), he's persecuted, dies, is resurrected and then disappears again. Spielberg was saying that the God I believe in was a butt ugly dwarf alien: no thanks.  TongueOut

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 10:29:15 AM »

Channel 9 (WOR-TV) and Channel 11 (WPIX) in NYC always had cool B-movies on Saturday and Sunday afternoons when I was growing up in the '80s. I remember watching Piranha, Star Crash, several Godzillas, the original King Kong, etc.

I have a vague memory of King Kong being aired on Thanksgiving Day every year for some reason. I'm not sure what the connection was.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
claws
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »

Our family would go to the movie theater on a regular basis like, once or twice a week for many many years. It was Jaws that made me love movies. I collected everything from Jaws, including a giant fold out poster which I kept on my wall for a long time.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »

Probably YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, at the drive-in. I soon became obsessed with Universal monsters.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 12:42:40 PM »

probably BACK TO THE FUTURE.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »

Channel 9 (WOR-TV) and Channel 11 (WPIX) in NYC always had cool B-movies on Saturday and Sunday afternoons when I was growing up in the '80s. I remember watching Piranha, Star Crash, several Godzillas, the original King Kong, etc.

I have a vague memory of King Kong being aired on Thanksgiving Day every year for some reason. I'm not sure what the connection was.
Channel 9 did KING KONG on Thanksgiving when I lived upstate NY in 1967, maybe earlier.I seen it every year. But I was only there until 1969. But they played it on channel 41 out of Kalamazoo every Thanksgiving too. I don't know the connection either.  Question
Channel 9 was the best! In the early 80's I was in the Bronx, they had the Addams Family, Godzilla movies, Benny Hill and Chiller!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:03:31 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »

I don't remember a specific movie. I remember watching a lot of movies on TV with my mother when I was a kid. My earliest memories are probably from when I was about 5 years old. When we got the newspaper on Sunday, my mother would read the TV listings and mention a few movies to me. "Do you know what's on next Saturday? War of the Worlds." I'd get all excited and wait impatiently for Saturday to come. A few I remember watching many, many times are:

* WAR OF THE WORLDS
* JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
* ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS
* DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS
* WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
* ATTACK OF THE MUSHOOM PEOPLE
* WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS
* Any Jerry Lewis movie that was on TV

When I was 6, I made my father take me to the theater to see HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS. Prior to that, all I had seen in theaters were kiddie matinee movies (K.Gordon Murray imports and such).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What movie first made you love movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.