Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:46 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Planet of the apes movies. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Planet of the apes movies.  (Read 2301 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 19, 2019, 04:14:31 AM »

Anyone ever discuss the PotA movies here?

They were  the original SF series of movies. Not too heavy on the science in any case. I mean, OK a writer kinda knew about time dilation,  but not really a lot about it.

Different people saw the movie in different ways. Many saw it as a war about what might happen after a nuclear war.

Others saw it as a racist  film warning about how apes (non whites)  would take over the human (white)  world and reduce humans (whites)  to slaves. I don't  buy this line as rod serling wrote the screen play and was pretty anti racist.

The series should have needed at film 2, because the idea of the apes salvaging a starship and launching it and time dilation working in reverse was just too much dksebelief to suspend but the audience apparently could accept it.

This was an early example of Hollywood merchandizing a movie to the gills,  with toys,  comics,  models, a tv series, a cartoon series, ad infinitum. It really helped them prepare for the stars wars craze that happened just after PotA mania ended.

Can't say a lot for the remakes. The one abortive remake scores one point for having Charlton Heston in his last role playing an ape.  OK,  I had to give it a point for that.

The next remake about a bioagent killing most humans and elevating ape intelligence,  meh. Did nothing for me.

But for a few years PotA was virtually an industry unto itself and did establish science fiction as a moneymaker at the box office and beyond.

That's mostly my take on PotA,  so what's yours?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »

The first one has a nostalgic place in my heart as it was the very first film I saw in a theater.
The rest are hit and miss. BATTLE really sucked.
But I watched the TV show anyway..... Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 04:14:23 PM »

I really, really like the original from 1968

the remake of the original from 2001 is hot garbage

I also enjoyed all the more recent Ape films

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 10:14:27 PM »

The Apes movies always left a bad taste in my mouth. As a kid, the notion of suddenly being placed in a hostile environment, filled with irrational bias and prejudice, was frightening. The scene where one of the astronauts is revealed to have been rendered a semi-vegetable through brain surgery was also frightening. So perhaps the only Apes movie I liked was Beneath The Planet Of The Apes, where a group of mutated humans with mind powers fend off the apes and wipe out everyone (and themselves) with a planet busting nuclear device.

In fact, I have the comic adaptation and audio record in my collection of this film. Kind of surprising that my parents bought it for me, but they bought me comic adaptations to many film in the 70s and 80s.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »

The original is a classic. Most of the rest of the series is decent, except "Battle," which is silly and dull.

Didn't like the Tim Burton version.

I like the current franchise (although, "War for the Planet of the Apes" had a misleading title . . . it was more of a skirmish).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 10:08:35 PM »

I liked BENEATH, because of the mutants, and ESCAPE because of the novelty, CONQUEST-eh. BATTLE-bleh! The Tim Burton one- ARGH! The new ones- I like 'em well enough....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 10:11:51 PM »

I liked BENEATH, because of the mutants, and ESCAPE because of the novelty, CONQUEST-eh. BATTLE-bleh! The Tim Burton one- ARGH! The new ones- I like 'em well enough....
I have fond memories of seeing ESCAPE in the movies.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Planet of the apes movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.