Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:12:05 PM
714236 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope  (Read 2776 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: August 15, 2019, 08:32:29 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I love this movie, but deep down in that heart of hearts we access past two AM on sleepless nights, don't we all really know it qualifies as delightfully bad in so many ways?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:52:20 AM »

It's actually my least favorite of the six movies. I think it's rather generic, if it wasn't for the jedi stuff (which barely takes any place in the movie) I wouldn't give a damn about it. The special effects are incredible tho, although WAR OF THE WORLDS came much sooner yet nobody raves about that.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:39:20 AM »

STAR WARS (1977) is fun, but dumb.  All of the movies since were an attempt towards some type of mythos.  Hell, what do you do with the biggest movie in the world...?  Uhm, make a sequel of course.  I like the 2nd movie best, but they are all hogwash. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 02:03:20 PM »

I mostly agree. Star wars was a real revolution, I mean the last time there was anything even close to it was when buster crabbe was on the big screen. The special effects revolution it bright on combined with the long successful storyline ended up catching lightning in a bottle.

Everything since then hasn't been an effort to make as good a movie as they could like they did with the original,  it's  been about making an "epic movie".

You know in star trek timer told Cochrane to just be the best man he could and let history decide if he was great. Star wars was an effort to make the best movie a young hungry cast and crew could. Now they jsutnhav dot make an epic movie.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »

Boy, it seems trashing on Star Wars has become a real thing as of late.  I know the OP isn't trashing the movie, but it really seems like opinion on the films and its fandom is starting to shift.  Before it seemed everyone like Star Wars.  Even the non "nerds".  My one older brother likes Star Wars, and for the most part he hates any kind of speculative or fanciful fiction.

I don't know if I'd call the movie dumb.  Its certainly no worse then a lot of fantasy movies.  I think the problem is most people aren't looking at it with the right eyes anymore.  Everyone is either looking at it through rose colored nostalgia goggles, or down at it with modern tastes and sensibilities. 

The movie is fine. Sure its got problems.  What film doesn't?  Its fun and has some great design.  Darth Vader would not be the iconic villain he is today without his look.

Out of the six Lucas films, I wouldn't even call it the weakest.  For me, that's still  Revenge of the Sith

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »

You're  right,  Q.  Today star wars is just a other scifiaction movje without four letter words,  tits and the requisite big bad black guy. But when it came out it was a literally revolution, something never seen before. That's  what none  of the sequels can give us again.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 11:28:04 PM »

Boy, it seems trashing on Star Wars has become a real thing as of late.  I know the OP isn't trashing the movie, but it really seems like opinion on the films and its fandom is starting to shift.  Before it seemed everyone like Star Wars.  Even the non "nerds".  My one older brother likes Star Wars, and for the most part he hates any kind of speculative or fanciful fiction.
I don't know if I'd call the movie dumb.  Its certainly no worse then a lot of fantasy movies.  I think the problem is most people aren't looking at it with the right eyes anymore.  Everyone is either looking at it through rose colored nostalgia goggles, or down at it with modern tastes and sensibilities. 
The movie is fine. Sure its got problems.  What film doesn't?  Its fun and has some great design.  Darth Vader would not be the iconic villain he is today without his look.

I mean dumb like a comic book.  The movie is great fun.  Not liking STAR WARS is not new for me.  I was a reactionary when STAR WARS was new.  I had a negative cynical reaction to the trailers they showed on TV.  I didn't see the movie until LATE like 1982 or '83...and only because the third one was coming out and my friends were all hot for it..  I loved STAR WARS!  I loved all three of the original movies when I saw them.  Now, not so much.  The "mythos" is DUMB.  People take it seriously like GEORGE LUCAS was Isaac Asimov or Gene Wolfe... he's no kind of great writer.  The fun went out of them when they started taking themselves seriously, so we agree.  I think it's the later ones that are like a pitchfork to my ass. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:57:10 AM »

Yes, Star Wars is just another "Hero's Journey"   Yes, it's a tad clunky and a predictable story...but it still captivates and engages most people today. Not just due to nostalgia. Even though the characters are nearly pure Archetypes, the actors - in spite of Lucas telling them not to act - breathed life into them.

Star Wars still is very clearly, the good guys vs the bad guys.  The good guys are seen in organic bright colors. The bad Guys are always in sterile, uniform, dull back drops (and costumes)

Mind you, had George not had friends to call him out on his weak story telling, his version, if relased would have fallen flat.   It was saved in the editing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »

Boy, it seems trashing on Star Wars has become a real thing as of late.  I know the OP isn't trashing the movie, but it really seems like opinion on the films and its fandom is starting to shift.  Before it seemed everyone like Star Wars.  Even the non "nerds".  My one older brother likes Star Wars, and for the most part he hates any kind of speculative or fanciful fiction.
I don't know if I'd call the movie dumb.  Its certainly no worse then a lot of fantasy movies.  I think the problem is most people aren't looking at it with the right eyes anymore.  Everyone is either looking at it through rose colored nostalgia goggles, or down at it with modern tastes and sensibilities.  
The movie is fine. Sure its got problems.  What film doesn't?  Its fun and has some great design.  Darth Vader would not be the iconic villain he is today without his look.

I mean dumb like a comic book.  The movie is great fun.  Not liking STAR WARS is not new for me.  I was a reactionary when STAR WARS was new.  I had a negative cynical reaction to the trailers they showed on TV.  I didn't see the movie until LATE like 1982 or '83...and only because the third one was coming out and my friends were all hot for it..  I loved STAR WARS!  I loved all three of the original movies when I saw them.  Now, not so much.  The "mythos" is DUMB.  People take it seriously like GEORGE LUCAS was Isaac Asimov or Gene Wolfe... he's no kind of great writer.  The fun went out of them when they started taking themselves seriously, so we agree.  I think it's the later ones that are like a pitchfork to my ass.  

George Lucas was the 1970s version of James Cameron, in that he was great at the technical aspects of a movie, but horrible in the art. George Lucas is an engineer, and if you've ever worked with engineers before then you know that they are all about design and craft but actually writing things cohesively presents a challenge for them. Star Wars (1977) is a technical marvel but the story sucked, much like how Avatar (2009) is still one of the prettiest movies of all time but the story was abysmally bad and definitely qualifies as a bad movie. I loved the original Star Wars trilogy because I was born at the perfect time to experience them, since I saw the first one in the movie theater when I was 3 years old and ever since I've become fascinated more with how movies are made rather than just is the movie good or not. I've seen bad movies that have really cool production work, like Galaxy Of Terror (1981) or Lifeforce (1985), and likewise good movies with bad or cheap production work such as Reservoir Dogs (1992) or Near Dark (1987). Star Wars (1977) is for me a constant reminder of how good that a bad movie can be, and when a director really gives it their all, even if it doesn't amount to much, it still shows on the screen and you can at least appreciate the effort that they put into their work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:19:23 AM by zelmo73 » Logged

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.