Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:44:51 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Movie Haikus & Poems  |  The Shining « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Shining  (Read 26555 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: September 03, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »

The real psycho here
Was not Jack Torrence, it was
The film's director.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:34:37 AM »

Do you say that in a good way? 

It's one of the best experiences I ever had in a theater.
I never heard so many people scream at the same time.  Thumbup
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:37:20 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »

I was wondering in times of #metoo if the abuse of Wendy would still fly these days. I'm actually kind of surprised The Shining hasn't receive any backlash yet.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »

I was wondering in times of #metoo if the abuse of Wendy would still fly these days. I'm actually kind of surprised The Shining hasn't receive any backlash yet.

She saves her son and is the hero! As far as #metoo and horror films. They made a movie called I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE III. I mean-the SHINING is kid stuff as far as abuse of women goes.

Plus it's a dam good film, politics be damned.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:52:43 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »

She saves he son and is the hero!

She does indeed but she's still abused by her husband. A former feminist friend hated The Shining because of that.
chainsaw midget
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:54:51 AM »

Her husband is the VILLAIN.  He's supposed to do bad things so you can cheer for her to break free and survive. 

Complaining that the bad guy is being a bad guy just strikes me as looking for something to be offended by. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:56:48 AM »

She saves he son and is the hero!

She does indeed but she's still abused by her husband. A former feminist friend hated The Shining because of that.
So does that make PLAY MISTY FOR ME (1971) anti male? Or PLANET OF THE APES anti-human?
Sure Jack was a psycho trying to kill, not only his wife-but his son and anyone around him.
IT'S A HORROR MOVIE.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 11:09:16 AM »

I was mostly goofing around with that haiku, so don't read too much into it.

The Shining is a great film and Kubrick is among my favorite directors, but he is well-known for having been at best difficult, at worst a tyrannical bully, and Shelley Duvall and Nicole Kidman have both spoken about some things that make Kubrick's ethics sound questionable.

There was a scene in Eyes Wide Shut where observers say Kubrick seemed to be getting off on instructing the actor who played the naval officer to do things to Kidman that were probably inappropriate, and I've read she left the set crying.

Is that how it was? I don't know but it is what's reported. In the DVD extras of Eyes Wide Shut Kidman spoke well of working with Kubrick, so who knows.

Kubrick was a genius but a boor to work for, and Ryan O'Neal almost punched him more than once during Barry Lyndon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:12:41 AM by ER » Logged

chainsaw midget
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »

He probably is a horrible person to work with but I see that as more him being such a perfectionist that he has to push his actors past the point where they're "acting" their emotions to where they're actually feeling them.
claws
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 11:12:16 AM »

Stephen King Hates The Shining Because It’s Misogynistic

(King) took issue specifically with Wendy’s portrayal in the movie, noting that the Shelley Duvall Wendy is, unlike her scribbled counterpart, “one of the most misogynistic characters ever put on film,” a film, he explained, that really seems too “cold”:

Source

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »

All work and no play
Makes Jack a dull boy. All work
And no play makes Jack...

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 12:09:17 PM »

(King) took issue specifically with Wendy’s portrayal in the movie, noting that the Shelley Duvall Wendy is, unlike her scribbled counterpart, “one of the most misogynistic characters ever put on film,” a film, he explained, that really seems too “cold”:

Source

He wrote the f**king book where Jack is trying to kill his whole family.  
Whatever he says after the fact is back tracking nonsense.
He's trying to stay relevant in a world which doesn't give a f**k about his latest long winded diatribe. As an author- he's gone pretty downhill for a long time. He has been doing pulp fiction for a long time. His short stories are the medium he should stick to. Like Robert Bloch or Ray Bradbury.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:19:43 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »

Source

He's trying to stay relevant in a world which doesn't give a f**k about his latest long winded diatribe. As an author- it's gone pretty downhill for a long time. He has been doing pulp fiction for a long time. His short stories are the medium he should stick to. Like Robert Bloch or Ray Bradbury.

Night Shift is my favorite King book, and it says something that I think his very earliest and shortest material is his best. (But his best among some fine storytelling throughout his career.)

I haven't been able to get into anything he's written since 11 22 63, and it was hit or miss for a long time before then because he seems to have lost the gift for pure storytelling and anymore wants to preach his views and teach lessons, often in a heavy-handed and not fun way.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »

And a good writer doesn't make a good movie. Look at the SHINING  (1997) remake that King approved of, and it sucked.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »

Source

He's trying to stay relevant in a world which doesn't give a f**k about his latest long winded diatribe. As an author- it's gone pretty downhill for a long time. He has been doing pulp fiction for a long time. His short stories are the medium he should stick to. Like Robert Bloch or Ray Bradbury.

Night Shift is my favorite King book, and it says something that I think his very earliest and shortest material is his best. (But his best among some fine storytelling throughout his career.)

I haven't been able to get into anything he's written since 11 22 63, and it was hit or miss for a long time before then because he seems to have lost the gift for pure storytelling and anymore wants to preach his views and teach lessons, often in a heavy-handed and not fun way.

I did enjoy 11/22/63. I ain't saying I don't enjoy or read his stuff. I just think that King calling the SHINING film by Kubrick misogynistic is hypocritical bulls**t.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-Movie Haikus & Poems  |  The Shining « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.