Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:52:12 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Cool junk you found. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cool junk you found.  (Read 3248 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: September 03, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »

Back in 1976, my friend Nick found a Nazi helmet in a junkyard out in back of a cornfield near the woods. I found an old bottle with a dead rat in it! How that big rat got in that old narrow necked bottle is beyond me.
Most of what was out there were rusty old trucks from the 1940's. Lotsa bottles and cans too.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:03:14 AM »

I've been outdoors quite a lot, so we found tons of interesting stuff. Things I remember most:

- a safe, briefcase and documents in a kaolin mine. We called the police on that and got some money as a reward - nice.
- a wallet we sent to the owner who sent money back - nice.
- several knifes.
- a leather-bag-thingy with neat little tools iside (screwdriver, etc.).
- a naughty magazine.
- a US army food pack. I'm from Germany, US troops were stationed nearby and the contents were incredibly interesting to ma as a kid. Crackers, some terrible meat dish, peanut butter,...

- not really "cool", but my sister found a body in the woods. She took me and a friend there, because we did not believe her. When we came back my dad was speaking on the phone and he was not really responsive to anything when he was talking. So we passed him a note: "Dad, there is a body in the woods (dead). Let's call the police." - My sister still has that note by the wall near her phone.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
claws
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 04:59:47 AM »

As a kid I don't think I ever found junk cool enough to take home. My friends and me did find an old rusty gun in a potato field once. We cleaned it at a stream and played with it for a while. It might have been worth something maybe for collectors after restauration, but that didn't cross our minds. I believe we threw it in a pond.

In the 1990s my sister had a cool job, she was working for a firm cleaning phone booths. She got a car from the firm, and cleaning utilities, and a daily route/district of booths to clean. I would join her ever so often and it was amazing what people would leave behind (or forget) in phone booths. The most common item we found was small change. By the end of the week we usually had between $20-$50 worth of change we collected in a plastic cup. That was our McD or BK money. We also found lots of wallets, handbags, briefcases and suitcases. Umbrellas, lipstick, jewelry, wrist watches, shoes, jackets, a pair of crutches, syringes and used condoms (ugh).

The general rule between my sister and her co-workers was 'finders keepers'. Passports, I.D.s, driver's license etc where left at the "found" section at the firm.

One time we found several bags of groceries left behind in a booth. The food was less than an hour old according to the receipt that had the time printed on it. There was an old man sitting on a bench nearby. He said he was about to throw the stuff away so my sister and me raided the bags and got fresh bread, lunch meat, chips, chocolate bars and a few cans of soda. We had a pretty good free lunch in the car  TeddyR

edit to add Sunglasses. We found so many sunglasses we could have open our own store.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:40:08 AM by claws » Logged
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 06:41:40 AM »

I had two situations like this when I was very young, both involving CDs. The less interesting one, I was taking a walk in my neighborhood and came across a Mortal Kombat Trilogy CD for Playstation, just lying there, without casing. It was maybe the year 2001, and while Playstation was a little bit old by then, for us it was quite the novelty. Anyways, the last game I played of MK was Ultimate for Sega Genesis, which I loved. When I popped in Trilogy it blew my mind, it was awesome. And it worked perfectly despite all the scratches.  TeddyR

The other situation was much more amazing: when we were kids, maybe 10 or 11 years old, we found a box outside our school filled with CDs. Most of them were educational stuff but some of them contained adult material. In a time when the Internet wasn't around, that was simply glorious.
BounceGiggle

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 07:55:37 AM »

It's not as cool as the stuff you guys have found but sometimes I'll find golf balls my grandpa hit into the woods when he lived here decades ago, and every time I find one I feel connected to him.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »

I found a wallet once- there was $120 dollars in it. Somebody with about 6 credit cards from Chicago. I kept the money and threw the wallet in the dumpster. Hey- I had bills to pay!  Lookingup
I found lotsa old pop and beer bottles out in the woods. I washed them up and sat them on a windowsill. I still have some.  Found an old tin plate photo of a civil war soldier in our attic back in 1970. I traded it at an antique store for a 1945 Classics Illustraded comic of FRANKENSTEIN and a 1952 Popeye comic.  Lookingup Man, I was a stupid little bastard.
I found a skull made out of chalk in a old shed in back of our house in 1970 too! There was a hole carved into the top, like for a candle. THAT was cool!
I found lotsa old ledger books from the 1880's from Adam's Hardware.  That's when Tara and me bought that big money pit of a house about 12 years back.Adam's is still here in Lawton! I gave them to the Lawton Museum.
I found an old cast iron penny bank. It's squirrel holding a nut. I found that in 1970 as well in the attic of the old farmhouse we were renting. I still have it!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:01:15 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »

Some things you guys probably didn't know about me or would have guessed.

I have tried magnet fishing without much success, mostly when I was hanging out with my college roommate's brother, who did it all the time. That's where you attach a powerful magnet to a rope and toss it out to drag through water or raise and lower it off a bridge or pier or dock or boat, avoiding rocks and trees and snags that'll take away your twenty dollar magnet.

Mostly I just found scrap metal, junk, lots of fishing lures and fishing hooks, rusty pocket knives, the casing of an ipod one time (when i went in 2013), an old digital watch with a metal flex band, likely 1980s. I pulled in a flooded tool box once and thought, ah, at last, this is going to be cool! But nothing was in it but water.

Magnet fishing is a little dangerous because of all the jagged sharp stuff that gets tugged in, and leaves you glad you're up on your tetanus jabs. Truthfully the US is not the best country for magnet fishing but I've seen some videos of finds in Europe, including Medieval swords and this intricate Victorian bank that was a replica of the Crystal Palace. Some European coins, mainly German, also do attach to magnets, unlike ours over here. That left me envious, kind of like the mudlarking videos of those who walk the Thames at low tide and find things. I'd love to do that.

One of my other hobbies is metal detecting, though I haven't been out with my detector in a few years because I've been so busy working and being with my family, and with that I have had some good results.

Since 2001 when I got my first detector, a Garrett Predator, a mid-price model, I've found couple hundred dollars in contemporary spare change, including a Kennedy half dollar once in an abandoned school yard. I've found rings (none too valuable), Swiss army knives, Zippo lighters, metal whistles that were old Cracker Jack's prizes in the mid and early 20th century, some strange zippers, earrings, a Civil War button, part of a miner's lantern, a sort of badge for the Chicago World's Fair of 1893, bracelets, a bizarre lapel pin that had a lot of religious slogans on it,  toy Hotwheels cars, once a makeshift pot-smoking device made of a copper tube left in an elementary school playground, probably in the '70s judging from its three-inch depth.

At the vacant site of an old Catholic Church I found a rosary that was mostly decayed and stiff, and my best find ever came from there and was a small silver crucifix about two inches long, with an intricately-wrought Jesus on the cross. I showed it to a jeweler and she said it was likely late 19th century. I kept it until I finally gave it to one of my maternal cousins on her Confirmation.

In plowed fields and along gravel bars and creek banks I've looked for stone artifacts like points and blades, and once had a great Adena village site I scored well at before they built condos on it in 2002.

I've looked for fossils and used to have a bucket of trilobites, I've dug up an old privy in Ireland and found a lot of busted glass from the 1700s and 1800s, and some bent forks too since people would throw their trash in the outhouses. I also metal detected (without any success) part of the John Hunt Morgan Trail, where Morgan's Raiders crossed during the Civil War and from what I could tell from the newspapers of the day, made a brief camp there. I've beachcombed, and I have swam down to the bottom of a lake near a state park to find things people threw in or dropped.

I do like to find things.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 08:46:12 PM »

Not too long ago someone threw away a stack of user guides for switchboards, probably dating to the 50s or 60s; I sold them all on eBay.  I have often found interesting objects thrown away in my neighborhood.  I sold a handpainted toy chest ...and a huge vacuform plastic Santa face in wreath at the Lambertville flea market, both throw-aways.  I found a gold bracelet worth a lot of gold weight.  I stepped on what I thought was a buck in a bar; it was a 50. 

Not "junk" but a few days after my good girl Gayle died, my last time at her farm, a glint in the gravel of the driveway caught my eye.  It is a little gold charm of a horse, I expect had fallen off of Gayle's charm bracelet.  I treasure that bit of gold. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Cool junk you found. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.