Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:08:07 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Event Horizon (1997) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Event Horizon (1997)  (Read 7509 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« on: October 28, 2019, 09:02:22 AM »

Smile Smile Smile Smile

Took a little time to watch Event Horizon last night. Someone on FB said that it was the closest thing to a Warhammer 40,000 movie that we would ever get. I don't know if anyone will ever work out a deal with Games Workshop to do a movie (usually breaks down at the merchandising), but Event Horizon isn't a half bad interpretation of what can happen if you send an unprotected ship through the Warp.

The movie does a good job of building suspense and doesn't rely on jump scares. People do occasionally do things that I would consider stupid, but there's basically something messing with their heads to begin with, so it's not that unreasonable.

Good times. This was available on Hulu, if anyone cares.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
claws
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »

I think it is interesting that the majority of critics didn't like the movie when it first came out. I remember my TV guide magazine would label it as the "flop of the day" whenever it was shown on TV.

When I first went online a few years later I noticed that pretty much everyone loved Event Horizon on message boards. Some even calling it the scariest movie ever made.

Personally I wouldn't go as far but I think the film delivers the horror goods.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »

This was the first film I saw advertised on the thing called the Internet, the first time I ever used it.

Still one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »

I own it on DVD, like it a lot. It's a little bit "Hellraiser," a little "The Black Hole," and a little "Alien" all rolled up and thrown into a blender set to "puree."

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 06:58:54 PM »

I really like this film.  Its almost impossible for Sam Neil to give a bad performance.  Plus the look of the ship is wonderfully both Gothic and futuristic.  I forget where I first read it, but the ship in Event Horizon was built around the blue prints for the Sistine Chapel.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 07:58:47 PM »

Do you see... DO YOU SEE???  TeddyR

This movie is legit freak-out material. It's gruesome without lingering over the gore, and the thought of the ship sucking everyone back to Hell is ghastly. It's a bit like if Michael Crichton's Sphere ship went to Hell instead of the past.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Do you know what's really weird? This:

After a successful initial DVD release, the studio and Anderson became interested in assembling a director's cut but they quickly found out that the excised footage had not been carefully stored and that much of it had gone missing. The deleted scenes were stored in a salt mine in Transylvania and had rotted away due to how they were stored in the mine. The plan to assemble a director's cut was abandoned and instead a special-edition two-DVD set was released that featured one deleted scene, two extended scenes, and a few shots of deleted material in the included making-of. The footage is of "video" quality.[6]

'Stored in a salt mine in Transylvania'???
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:07:03 PM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »

One thing I thought about when looking at the gravity drive: "Is there some technical reason it has to be so gothic and spiky?" The engine room looks like a torture chamber for no practical reason.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 02:12:57 PM »

I haven't seen it in a long time, but I thought it was weird, creepy, scary. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 01:56:51 PM »

Do you know what's really weird? This:

After a successful initial DVD release, the studio and Anderson became interested in assembling a director's cut but they quickly found out that the excised footage had not been carefully stored and that much of it had gone missing. The deleted scenes were stored in a salt mine in Transylvania and had rotted away due to how they were stored in the mine. The plan to assemble a director's cut was abandoned and instead a special-edition two-DVD set was released that featured one deleted scene, two extended scenes, and a few shots of deleted material in the included making-of. The footage is of "video" quality.[6]

'Stored in a salt mine in Transylvania'???

Apparently, the deleted scenes were so gruesome and disturbing that they would not have avoided an NC-17 rating. The quick flashes of footage of what the lost crew had done to each other as they warped into Hell was apparently just a tip of the iceberg of the deleted scenes that were lost in the Transylvanian salt mine.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Paquita

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »

Event Horizon was a great movie and I'm never going to watch it again.  This was the horror movie that "broke" me.  Before watching Event Horizon, I was all about watching anything and everything horror can throw at me (except animal and/or baby/elderly cruelty or killings - I'm looking at you Creepshow 2!) - blood, guts, demons, ghosts! Ha!  I eat them for breakfast give me more brrrah!!  That was me!  And then came Event Horizon...  I think you hit it on the head that it doesn't rely on "jump scares" and that's kind of how it got me.  I just remember my eyes being glued to the screen and then at the end I was just thinking "What did I just watch?!"   For years after I saw that movie, I would get a little scared in my tummy anytime I saw Sam Neill.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 03:10:27 PM »

Event Horizon was a great movie and I'm never going to watch it again.  This was the horror movie that "broke" me.  Before watching Event Horizon, I was all about watching anything and everything horror can throw at me (except animal and/or baby/elderly cruelty or killings - I'm looking at you Creepshow 2!) - blood, guts, demons, ghosts! Ha!  I eat them for breakfast give me more brrrah!!  That was me!  And then came Event Horizon...  I think you hit it on the head that it doesn't rely on "jump scares" and that's kind of how it got me.  I just remember my eyes being glued to the screen and then at the end I was just thinking "What did I just watch?!"   For years after I saw that movie, I would get a little scared in my tummy anytime I saw Sam Neill.

Have you seen TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) ? 

Paquita

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »

Have you seen TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) ? 

Yes!  But I don't remember it being such a big deal to me.  Maybe because they picked up a hitchhiker, or because I already knew what to expect and already turned myself "off" a bit.  I saw it at the time I was trying to be super hardcore and act like none of this stuff bothered me.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 11:19:27 PM »

...Have you seen TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) ? 

Yes!  But I don't remember it being such a big deal to me.  Maybe because they picked up a hitchhiker, or because I already knew what to expect and already turned myself "off" a bit.  I saw it at the time I was trying to be super hardcore and act like none of this stuff bothered me.

I was with three hardcore Horror veterans when I first saw it and I think we were all shaken.  'Course that was 40 years ago, but I am perplexed that it did not make a strong impression on you.  EVENT HORIZON is eerie and scary.  TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is relentless.  People seem to remember it as extremely gory.  It isn't.  It's just intense.  And frightening.  I am perplexed because there is nothing to compare to it. 

Paquita

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 10:09:04 PM »

When I saw Texas Chain Saw Massacre, it had been around for over 20 years and had a "legendary" type of reputation among older kids.  I kind of already knew what it was about, I saw clips of it, read reviews, etc. so I knew it was brutal and violent and supposed to be disturbing and I was a teenager and determined not to be bested by it.  I’m sure I probably couldn’t watch it now.  I’m a lot softer than I was as a kid.

I was NOT prepared for Event Horizon.  I don’t think it was very popular when it came out and I don’t remember hearing much about it before I saw it.  I caught it on HBO or Showtime after seeing bits and pieces of it that seemed interesting and reading that it wasn’t “just” a space movie.  Even then, when I thought I was all tough, I was secretly a little freaked out by deep space and biblical stuff and just wasn’t ready for those two things to be clashing in a movie that I thought was going to be a drama about space madness or something. I didn’t know anything about what an “event horizon” was so it was kind of an ambiguous title to me, unlike “Texas Chain Saw Massacre” where you kind of know there’s going to be a chain saw, some massacring and it was going to be big, like Texas :).

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 11:06:33 PM »

^ Supposed to be disturbing?   Question  You are the only person I've encountered who was not disturbed.  

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Event Horizon (1997) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.