Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:36:59 PM
714252 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019)  (Read 13281 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: December 19, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »

It's been 42 years since my Junior High sweetheart and I went to see this popular new film called STAR WARS in the theater.  We were 13 at the time.  We have seen every single film in the franchise together in the theater now, many of them on opening night.  So it was with a little trepidation and a lot of excitement that we went to the Majestic 12 tonight to see RISE OF SKYWALKER.

I'm not going to give a bunch of spoilers, but, this movie is GREAT.
A wonderful ending to a magnificent space fantasy saga that has spanned four decades of my life.  Wonderful performances, cool storyline, villains and heroes old and new . . . I don't like to use the phrase "perfect movie" too often, but this is awfully close.

I know some naysayers and nitpickers will carp and whine and criticize, but they can go suck eggs.
I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!    5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:59:26 AM »

After THE FORCE AWAKENS I felt so cheated and insulted that I decided to avoid the rest of these movies, so I guess I'll never know.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »

After THE FORCE AWAKENS I felt so cheated and insulted that I decided to avoid the rest of these movies, so I guess I'll never know.

Imo The FALL of skywalker was horrible! I loved Starwars too

damn shame... did they even read the books or listen to the fans?

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »

I haven't seen this yet

I'm a little surprised  that there is such a wide margin between critics and audiences for this movie on Rotten Tomatoes

---- there have been for movies in general the last few years for some reason, but this seems like the biggest divide between them in a while to me

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »

I think maybe it helps me appreciate the movies some that I never read many of the "Extended Universe" books or comics or whatever they are called.  I had no huge problems with any of the recent films, and this one was far and away the best as far as I was concerned.  It felt like pure STAR WARS through and through, and I want to go see it again!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
VenomX73

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »

I haven't seen this yet

I'm a little surprised  that there is such a wide margin between critics and audiences for this movie on Rotten Tomatoes

---- there have been for movies in general the last few years for some reason, but this seems like the biggest divide between them in a while to me

Check IMDb for a more ridiculous huge gap, even with the score of the movie itself. When you go to the review section the hate for the three movies by Disney is intense, yet they have 8, wtf.
I'm willing to bet that they rigged the scores.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 08:14:30 AM »

I haven't seen this yet

Check IMDb for a more ridiculous huge gap, even with the score of the movie itself. When you go to the review section the hate for the three movies by Disney is intense, yet they have 8, wtf.

Oddly enough it doesn't seem to be big business that is rigging scores, rather negitive comments are being generated by bots most of which seem to come from Russia. I could understand why a company would rig scores, but why people would want to go to all the effort of setting up bad comments for a movie is beyond me. Still, the fans seem to be enjoying the movie from what I hear from people who have went to see it and I guess in the end of the day their opinions are the only ones that matter since they are the ones paying to go see it. As long as it makes money I doubt Disney (or any other company for that matter), will overly care for naysayers. Should it bomb (and from the box office so far this seems highly unlikely) then whiners will get paid more attention to.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
VenomX73

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »

I haven't seen this yet

of course the scores are rigged lol  Thumbup

VenomX73

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »

I haven't seen this yet

Oddly enough it doesn't seem to be big business that is rigging scores, rather negitive comments are being generated by bots most of which seem to come from Russia. I could understand why a company would rig scores, but why people would want to go to all the effort of setting up bad comments for a movie is beyond me. Still, the fans seem to be enjoying the movie from what I hear from people who have went to see it and I guess in the end of the day their opinions are the only ones that matter since they are the ones paying to go see it. As long as it makes money I doubt Disney (or any other company for that matter), will overly care for naysayers. Should it bomb (and from the box office so far this seems highly unlikely) then whiners will get paid more attention to.

LOLLOLOL Russia bots... are you serious!???  Twirling

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »

I haven't seen this yet

LOLLOLOL Russia bots... are you serious!???  Twirling

Yup. They tracked much of the trolling and bad reviews for the last film back to bots from Russia. Can't for the life of me think why they'd want to, but there you go.

Here is one of the articles on it.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi abuse blamed on Russian trolls and 'political agendas'
This article is more than 1 year old

Report finds half of negative comments aimed at Rian Johnson’s movie came from Twitter bots or trolls, indicating fan backlash was overstated

Andrew Pulver
@Andrew_Pulver

Tue 2 Oct 2018 13.33 BST
Last modified on Thu 4 Oct 2018 12.49 BST

Shares
John Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran experienced online abuse over their roles in The Last Jedi.
John Boyega and Kelly Marie Tran in The Last Jedi. Photograph: Allstar/Lucasfilm/Walt Disney Pictures

More than half of the hostile responses to The Last Jedi, episode eight of the Star Wars saga, were politically motivated trolling or the result of non-human bot activity, according to an academic paper published by a US digital media expert.

Morten Bay, a research fellow at the University of Southern California (USC), analysed Twitter activity about the film and concluded that more than 50% of posts are by “bots, trolls/sockpuppets or political activists using the debate to propagate political messages supporting extreme rightwing causes and the discrimination of gender, race or sexuality. A number of these users appear to be Russian trolls.”
The Last Jedi's Kelly Marie Tran speaks out against online bullying
Read more

The supposed fan hostility to The Last Jedi is a well-known phenomenon, with actors such as Kelly Marie Tran experiencing extreme levels of abuse, and campaigns cropping up to lower the film’s rating on critics’ aggregators and fund a remake. However, Bay’s research indicates that not only are negative comments on social media about the film in a minority, but the “anti-Jedi” campaign has been designed to serve a wider political purpose. “The study finds evidence of deliberate, organised political influence measures disguised as fan arguments,” Bay writes. The likely objective of these measures is increasing media coverage of the fandom conflict, thereby adding to and further propagating a narrative of widespread discord and dysfunction in American society.”
2:26
Watch the trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi - video

Bay analysed the 960-plus accounts which had tweets aimed directly at Last Jedi director Rian Johnson for the seven months after the film opened on 13 December 2017. He found that 21.9% of users – less than a quarter – expressed a negative opinion of the film. After stripping out bots/trolls and users who had what he describes as “clear political agendas”, that figure dropped to 10.5%. Bay concluded that real fan hostility to the film is much less than has previously been reported.
Did Russia fake black activism on Facebook to sow division in the US?
Read more

Of this negative group, Bay established that 50.9% were “likely politically motivated or not even human”. This included 5% of posts by bots, 16% by trolls or sockpuppets (of which half appeared to be Russian trolls), and close to 30% by users with political agendas.

The Last Jedi’s director, Rian Johnson, retweeted the paper, writing “what the top-line describes is consistent with my experience online”. He added: “And just to be totally clear: this is not about fans liking or not liking the movie – I’ve had tons of great talks with great fans online and off who liked and disliked stuff. That’s what fandom is all about. This is specifically about a virulent strain of online harassment.”

And another.

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Backlash Was Fueled by Russian Troll Bots
A lot of the accounts slamming Rian Johnson aren’t even real.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Backlash Fueled Russian Troll Bots Toxic Fandom President Trump Alt Right
Disney/Lucasfilm
Entertainment
Oct 2, 2018
By Isaac Rouse

23,447 Hypes
    38 Comments

According to a new study, it appears a great deal of the online hate against Star Wars: The Last Jedi was partly due to politically-driven troll bots from Russia. The claim was made in an academic paper by Morten Bay titled “Weaponizing the Haters: ‘The Last Jedi’ and the Strategic Politicization of Pop Culture through Social Media Manipulation.”

The paper’s purpose was to investigate allegations that say the film ruined the Star Wars franchise, finding that a lot of the accounts were “politically motivated or not even human.” The results continue to say it “[found] evidence of deliberate, organized political influence measures disguised as fan arguments.”

The study claims the objective of these bots was to increase media coverage of the film’s backlash, which would fuel a propagating narrative of divisiveness and dysfunction in America, similar to bots’ hand in Brexit and the 2016 Presidential Election. “Persuading voters of this narrative remains a strategic goal for the U.S. alt-right movement, as well as the Russian Federation,” according to Bay.

It was deduced that over 50 percent of the negative tweets The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson got were from “bots, trolls/sock puppets or political activists using the debate to propagate messages supporting extreme right-wing causes and the discrimination of gender, race or sexuality.”  The confirmation of these bots being from Russia comes from Twitter itself, as 16 of the 2,752 accounts listed as being linked to Russia’s Internet Research Agency’s “troll farm” were found confronting the director.

In other news, DC Universe’s Titans will stream on Netflix for users outside the U.S.

A bit of Morten’s research came out awhile ago and made some headlines – here’s his full paper. Looking forward to reading it, but what the top-line describes is consistent with my experience online. https://t.co/MTRgmPxGgZ

— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) October 1, 2018

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
VenomX73

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »

oooh boy.  BounceGiggle

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »

Personally I thought the film was poor enough to generate its own bad publicity.

claws
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »

Not seen yet, I'll probably check this out when it hits home video.

A friend of mine works at a theater, and they got orders from Disney to cancel special events not related to the latest Star Wars movie, so they can squeeze in more screenings for The Rise of Skywalker. He said no other studio has ever demanded something like this  Buggedout
VenomX73

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 06:44:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.