Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:53:23 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019)  (Read 13331 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »

Agreed. I'd say it was about as likely as Disney manipulating the reviews on the website.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »

I saw it today, and I think I can say the following without spoiling anything.

The acting is fine, and the root of the story doesn't bother me.

What bothers me is that in their quest to make sure that they topped everything that has been done before in this "final" movie, they definitely overdid it.

It's as if what we saw on the screen was the result of 100 exaggerated retellings via oral tradition before anything was written down.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 03:52:48 AM »

It is a blast! It may be nonsense, but it is glorious nonsense.

There are many elements (chief being the return of Palpatine) that may be problematical for the general consistency of the Star Wars universe, but I agree that they work great in the context of this movie. And the Kylo Ren - Rey - Palpatine interactions here give a glimpse of what we might have had in the prequel trilogy, had Anakin and Amidala been actual characters.

For the rest, this is a movie with everything. I suppose the studio gave JJ Abrams a 20 page list of stuff they wanted in the movie, and he flipped through it and said 'Sure, we can do that, no problem'

Sit back and enjoy the ride!

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 04:48:06 AM »

It is a blast! It may be nonsense, but it is glorious nonsense.

There are many elements (chief being the return of Palpatine) that may be problematical for the general consistency of the Star Wars universe, but I agree that they work great in the context of this movie. And the Kylo Ren - Rey - Palpatine interactions here give a glimpse of what we might have had in the prequel trilogy, had Anakin and Amidala been actual characters.

For the rest, this is a movie with everything. I suppose the studio gave JJ Abrams a 20 page list of stuff they wanted in the movie, and he flipped through it and said 'Sure, we can do that, no problem'

Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Wait Papatine comes back???

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
VenomX73

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 03:38:25 PM »

BounceGiggle

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 07:05:41 PM »

The RIZE... of SKaEYE WALK AH

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2019, 12:29:40 AM »

I should at least give some of this STAR WARS thing half a chance. I seen the first one in '77.
It was fun Flash Gordon stuff. But it got real old with it being on lunchboxes and pillow cases and endless toys and TV junk. The world turned to Star Wars.
I think -and thank- Star Wars for turning me into a punk rocker. Because I saw s**t being marketed and shoved down my throat.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:36:43 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2019, 12:36:36 AM »

The RYiiiZZe of SKA-EYE-WOKer...  Lookingup

VenomX73

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 02:15:26 PM »

Small | Large

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »

Star Wars : the Rise of Skywalker

If IV was a product of the '70's, then this is a product of today, but there is a lot of IV in it, even if what there is seemed to be amped up to the nth degree. And when I say something than I have seen it, and to date, I have seen o'er half the episodes.

Same
violence. next to IV, this is probably the most violent of all the episodes.
humor. yes
emotional impact. yes
actors. Lord, it was good to see Billy Dee Williams as Lando again, as he was the best thing I took out of V.
+ Richard E. Grant
Keri Russell
Domhall Gleason
action. oh, hell, yeah!

More
Complex
IV was basically a simple story simplely told, which is probably why it has lasted so long, as simple normally has a longer shelf life. Whereas, this one was more complex. One need go no further than the trailer to see that.
Honest
in a conflict it is not the only "bad" guys that die, but also the major "good" guys, as here, which left me with one disappointment which I won't go into, as it gives away a major plot point.
was it worth it? was the war really worth it? This one comes nearer to asking that question than any of the other episodes.
Realistic
I put it to one, that the victory celebration at the end of the film was more realistic than most of the other victory celebrations in the other episodes, as it was more spontaneous and less organzied than those.

Past
blue state/red state. whether deliberate or happenstance, the color blue is associated with Democrats and liberals, while the color red is associated with Republicans and conservatives.

Present
whether we see 'em or not, rumor has it that there are 2 more trilogies in the works. There is certainly enough materials out there. To date of all the  inhabited planets, and if each has the same population of earth, and some such as Coruscant have more, then we are talking about billions of people with billions of stories and a history that is o'er 5000 years. And with the apparent success of The Mandalorian, one can do something Star Wars that has little connection to the original films.

Future
should one see it? That depends so much on the person asking. So, Ill say what I do. If a film interests me, then I go see it. If it does not interest me, then I do not go see it.

And we will see what we will see.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »

Warning: spoilers

Here's what I've been told from a source that worked on TROS.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »

So, basically, JJA is awesome and did everything perfectly, even when I consider THE FORCE AWAKENS as total garbage.  Twirling

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 05:34:10 PM »

A close friend of mine who lives in Reno, NV saw it and enjoyed it.  He did confirm that "there were plot holes big enough to drive a death star through!" 

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 07:59:27 AM »

So, basically, JJA is awesome and did everything perfectly, even when I consider THE FORCE AWAKENS as total garbage.  Twirling

Could have, and maybe a bit better than what came out. In general, we can't blame the film crew and the actors because they did their best. Unfortunately, producers got in the way, and there were too many problems in the previous films that had to be resolved.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »

Watched it today, thought it was good. You could tell they were doing their best to work around Carrie Fisher having died and I think that lead to some of the films weaker points. Not a fan of JJ Abrams as a film maker generally, but he did ok this time. I was worried he'd do what he done with Lost and introduce a load of elements without thinking out a satisfactory resolution for them. A lot of things were still left undeveloped, but you can only fit so many things into an already fairly long run time before a film becomes overbloated (I'd have liked to know a little bit about the Knights of Ren for example and the Asian woman's character whose name I've forgotten, Lando could have handled better). The film hit a few emotional spots, possibly more due to my attachment to various characters from my childhood and it still has too many action sequences and not enough character development but despite all these quibbles it ended up being a decent (although not exceptional) film.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.