Main Menu

FIELD OF DREAMS (1989)

Started by zombie no.one, July 24, 2024, 12:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie no.one

first time viewing, holy late pass

I'm not going to be an edge-lord and post this in the 'bad movies' section, but I was really underwhelmed by this. It was soppy and sentimental in ways that bored me.

All of it seemed so far fetched, and yet they were clearly going for realism with the acting. an odd mix.

I would say the fact I know zilch about baseball is irrelevant - for e.g. I have zero interest in the world of theater productions and yet WAITING FOR GUFFMAN is a classic movie to me...

thoughts and opinions on this one? did any of you grow up with this movie and have some nostalgia attached to it?
please do not mock my potato.

RCMerchant

You said it all in three words- " soppy and sentimental ".
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Trevor

The ending of that film where the camera rises up over the baseball field where Kevin Costner and his Dad are playing catch and shows the hundreds of cars bringing people to the field always makes me think of my own Dad who would have been 90 on Sunday.

🥺😢
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

zombie no.one

Quote from: RCMerchant on July 24, 2024, 01:05:41 PMYou said it all in three words- " soppy and sentimental ".

I really wasn't sure what tone it would have... was half expecting 'buddy' comedy or full on sports action stuff.

Quote from: Trevor on July 24, 2024, 02:14:39 PMThe ending of that film where the camera rises up over the baseball field where Kevin Costner and his Dad are playing catch and shows the hundreds of cars bringing people to the field always makes me think of my own Dad who would have been 90 on Sunday.

🥺😢

sure, I can see it might elicit things like this. As someone who's basically had zero relationship with their own father there's probably some things that don't tug on me old heartstrings in the same way they might for others?

it was interesting to see a pre GOODFELLAS Ray Liotta, at least....

(Auto-corrects changes that to Ray Lolita, hah)
please do not mock my potato.

Trevor

Quote from: zombie no.one on July 25, 2024, 03:39:02 AM
Quote from: RCMerchant on July 24, 2024, 01:05:41 PMYou said it all in three words- " soppy and sentimental ".

I really wasn't sure what tone it would have... was half expecting 'buddy' comedy or full on sports action stuff.

Quote from: Trevor on July 24, 2024, 02:14:39 PMThe ending of that film where the camera rises up over the baseball field where Kevin Costner and his Dad are playing catch and shows the hundreds of cars bringing people to the field always makes me think of my own Dad who would have been 90 on Sunday.

🥺😢

sure, I can see it might elicit things like this. As someone who's basically had zero relationship with their own father there's probably some things that don't tug on me old heartstrings in the same way they might for others?

it was interesting to see a pre GOODFELLAS Ray Liotta, at least....

(Auto-corrects changes that to Ray Lolita, hah)

😊😊

I had a good relationship with my dad and he would always be game for a catch. 😊

It's just that final shot with the hundreds of cars bringing people to the field which always makes me think there's some South African ninjas chopping onions somewhere.

It also changes the IF YOU BUILD IT HE WILL COME thing to the much more emotional IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME and they do. 🥺
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.