Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:02:38 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 247
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 611448 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #765 on: December 11, 2020, 02:14:45 AM »

"Beerfest" (2006)
Two brothers, looking to restore honor to their family name, form a team of fellow power drinkers to represent the U.S.A. in a secret international beer drinking competition held in Munich during Oktoberfest. Can these rag tag losers take crown from the dreaded German team on their home turf?
This loud, funny, raunchy comedy from the Broken Lizard troupe of "Super Troopers" fame will leave you thirsty for more (or maybe just thirsty). It's a hoot.

Very funny movie: I love where Jurgen Prochnow talks about that "bad experience I once had in a Uboat"  BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #766 on: December 11, 2020, 09:40:49 AM »

DRIVEWAYS (2019): A maladjusted boy makes friends with his next door neighbor, a retired Korean war vet. A pleasant unassuming little drama that would be quickly forgotten if not for the fact that it contains one of Brian Dennehy's final performances. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #767 on: December 12, 2020, 10:04:10 AM »

Kalashnikov (2020)

Biopic of perhaps the most famous Russian ever. The story is pretty straightforward: Mikhail Kalashnikov gets wounded, and sets out to make a better gun for his comrades at the front. Makes a first gun, gets rejected, makes a second gun, gets rejected again, keeps at it, and comes up with a classic. That is basically it. If you like a period piece of WW II Russia or seeing men doing metalwork, this is a movie for you. As for the historical accuracy, I'm not familiar enough with the facts to judge, but this is clearly the Official Biography As Approved By The Kalashnikov Estate And The Russian Army, so I am taking it with a pinch of salt.

Interestingly, this is a subtly anti Soviet movie. It is the story of a lone inventor who has to battle the system every step of the way, succeeding only by sheer persistence. At one point he even has to knock some sense into an NKVD officer. The high point is a showdown with the great Degtyaryov himself, who then humbly acknowledges Kalashnikov's superiority. For all the overt patriotism of the movie, I don't think a story of an individual genius triumphing over short sighted officialdom would have sat well with the Soviet censors.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #768 on: December 12, 2020, 01:16:31 PM »

INVASION OF THE BLOOD FARMERS (1973)
Hot  honey butter biscuits!
This movie is insane!
A group of druid cultist farmers are harvesting blood to bring their Queen back to life.
And for some obscure reason, after the local scientist (with a lab in his basement, of course), gets a sample of a victim's blood, it starts to regenerate, and floods his lab!
A couple of stand out scenes are when one of the farmers beats a dog, drinks it's blood, and hangs it outside our hapless heroine's house.
Another weird one is a guy is taking a shower (one shot director Ed Adlum) in a hotel room (shades of PSYCHO), and is stabbed to death by same blood farmer guy! And the town drunk's name is Jim Carrey! "Old Jim Carrey dropped dead Sunday!"
Stupid as hell. Bad overacting! Bright red paint blood!
I loved it!
Did that blood farmer shoot his phone with a cap gun?  BounceGiggle

Small | Large
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:51:56 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #769 on: December 12, 2020, 03:46:32 PM »

"Top Secret!"  (1984)
An American rock n roll singer (Val Kilmer, in his film debut) visiting East Germany on a goodwill tour, gets mixed up with the French resistance (?) and helps them free an imprisoned scientist.
This wacky spoof of 1940s spy flicks and Elvis movies was brought to us by the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker team of "Airplane!" fame. "Top Secret" doesn't quite reach the laugh-a-minute heights of that classic, but it's got enough goofy gags to make it watchable.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #770 on: December 13, 2020, 04:14:44 PM »

"Silent Night, Bloody Night" (aka "Deathouse," 1972)
A small New England town is rocked by a series of Christmas Eve slayings when a big city lawyer comes to close the sale of a long-empty mansion with a famously sordid past.
Possibly the first-ever Christmas slasher movie, this long time late-night TV fave is a slow burner, but it has lots of creepy atmosphere, one gloriously gory axe murder scene, and an interesting cast that includes future Roger Corman fave Mary Woronov and the legendary John Carradine.
Due to its public domain status, this flick appears in lots of cheap "Horror Classics" DVD sets, usually in terrible washed out quality. However, the fine folks at Vinegar Syndrome "remastered" it a few years ago and while that version is still occasionally scratchy and dark, it's still the only decent print of it I've ever seen.
"Silent Night Bloody Night" may not exactly be a great movie, but it's certainly a weird, interesting little seasonal oddity.

pacman000
« Reply #771 on: December 13, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »

The Borrowers

A boy moves in with his great aunt & discovers a miniature family living under the floorboards.

Cool concept, but too slow, & the 60’s blue screen FX haven’t held up well. They should’ve built more giant sets, used more split screens, etc.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #772 on: December 14, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »

76 DAYS (2020): Documentary following doctors, nurses and patients in a 50-patient wing at a Wuhan hospital at the height of the coronavirus crisis in Feb-Apr 2020, during the 76 day lockdown. With no editorial commentary, human drama emerges naturally: doctors and nurses struggle to keep their spirits up, a child is born to a COVID-positive mother, an old man with dementia wanders around the halls, not understanding why he can't go home. 4/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #773 on: December 14, 2020, 03:18:40 PM »

Amphibian Man (1962) - USSR movie about a man in a tin foil bodysuit and goggles who lives underwater and falls in love with a land girl. Disney ish with occasional commie propaganda. enjoyable mostly for how different the actors and production look  3/5
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #774 on: December 15, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »

^ I started to watch that movie. It did it's job. I feel asleep within 5 minutes. Maybe less.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #775 on: December 16, 2020, 10:21:23 AM »

ALL IN: THE FIGHT FOR DEMOCRACY (2020): Documentary about voter suppression efforts, historically targeting minorities. Contains solid information (especially in the historical context), which unfortunately is dimmed a bit due to the fact that it too often feels like a feature-length campaign ad for executive producer/lead talking head Stacey Abrams. 3/5

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #776 on: December 16, 2020, 03:54:55 PM »

Burnin' up my last vacay day of the year today, watchin' some movies and waitin' for the snow storm to roll in...

"Deadpool" (2016)
Marvel Comics' wise-ass, foul mouthed, indestructible mercenary (Ryan Reynolds) goes after the mad scientist who made him a freak in this balls-to-the-wall, ultra violent, fourth-wall-breaking riot. I've seen this once before but it definitely holds up to repeat viewing.

"Krampus" (2015)
A dystunctional family's Christmas celebration is crashed by the vengeful Yuletide demon of German folklore in this holiday horror/comedy from Michael "Trick r' Treat" Dougherty. It's hampered slightly by the PG-13 rating but it's still a load of dark, twisted holiday fun that's become a Christmas time regular for me.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #777 on: December 16, 2020, 08:36:11 PM »

"Once Upon a Time at Christmas" (2017)
A small town in Upstate New York gets a Yuletide visit from a pair of thrill killing psychos dressed as Santa and Mrs. Claus, whose murder scenes mimic the lyrics to "The 12 Days of Christmas."
This indie horror flick has a nice wintry look, an absurdly high body count, and the couple who play the killers are a hoot (the Mrs. Claus chick is essentially playing Harley Quinn in a Slutty Santa outfit), but the movie drags on for too damn long and the characters are such idiots that they deserve everything that happens to them.
Sooo, not an essential holiday horror, but entertainingly stupid enough for a single viewing.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #778 on: December 17, 2020, 10:08:14 AM »

MUCHO MUCHO AMOR: THE LEGEND OF WALTER MERCADO (2020): The story of Walter Mercado, the androgynous Puerto Rican new age astrologer who delivered horoscopes while dressed like a Hindu Liberace in drag as a Golden Girl. Walter was a huge star in the Hispanic community through the 1970s-2000s, so if you were aware of him, this will be a nostalgia trip; if, like me, you've never heard of him before, it will blow your mind to think that such a flamboyantly odd character could exist and thrive in a macho culture. Given his weird charisma, we should all be thankful he used his powers for good rather than running for political office. On Netflix. 3.5/5/.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #779 on: December 18, 2020, 09:59:27 AM »

ATHLETE A (2020): Thorough documentary covering the sex abuse scandal in USA gymnastics through the eyes of victims and reporters. Larry Nassar gets his, sure, but the documentary also blows the lid off a culture of abuse and coverups. A blood boiler on Netflix. 3.5/5.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 247
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.