Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:32 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600683 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #420 on: July 28, 2020, 02:07:19 PM »

I found a YouTube channel over the weekend full of those irresistibly schlocky made-for-TV thriller movies from the '70s and '80s so I'm probably gonna go down a serious rabbit hole with these over the next few weeks, haha. Started the binge with:

"Death Car on the Freeway" (1979)
A crusading TV news reporter (Shelley "Charlie's Angels" Hack) makes it her mission to stop a psycho killer who's been running women off the L.A. freeways with his souped up van. Lots of cars crash and stuff blows up along the way.
Fun junk directed by Hal "Smokey and the Bandit" Needham and featuring a supporting cast that includes such familiar faces as Frank Gorshin, Dinah Shore, George Hamilton, Peter Graves, and Sid Haig.
They don't make 'em like this anymore!

I seen this back in '79!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #421 on: July 28, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »

GREEN INFERNO (2013)

I bunch of activist collage punks go to Peru to protest the ravaging of the rain forests. But thankfully they're plane crashes and the do-gooders are kidnapped , tortured, and eaten by cannibals.
It's an old '80's Italian cannibal movie updated.
Dumb as f**k, but gory.
 Gimme LET THEM DIE SLOWLY any day.

Oh yeah, it's by Eli Roth. The HOSTEL guy? I hate that movie.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:22:59 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #422 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:26 AM »

DEADLINE (1980): A popular Stephen King-type horror writer endures a rocky marriage and neglects his kids, while struggling to come up with shocking new ideas: we see some of his gruesome discarded  sketches play out, as his family life goes to hell. The "work-in-progress" scenes allow the filmmakers to skip the setups and resolutions and just get straight to the cheesy gore; they also distract from the main story's characters, who are both unlikable and unbelievable. 2/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #423 on: July 29, 2020, 10:04:41 AM »

"The Bees" (1978)
In this absolutely cheese-tastic '70s eco-horror from Mexico, "Africanized Killer Bees"  are smuggled into the U.S. by an unscrupulous corporation, which then breed with local bees, creating a new mutant strain that starts swarming into major cities and stinging everyone to death. Fortunately a crusading bee scientist (the late great John Saxon) and his research team are on the case, trying to stop the angry buggers before they replace humans as the dominant species on Earth (yikes!).

There's a *lot* to unpack in this movie -- it starts out as a pretty standard nature-run-amuck flick with the usual hammy acting and ultra cheap special effects (the bee swarms look like big clouds of smoke in long shots, and like Rice Krispies blown by a fan in close-ups). Then it suddenly takes a turn into totally bats**t crazy sci-fi territory when Saxon's character figures out how to communicate with the bees (!), learns why they're so p**sed, and ends up presenting their "demands" to the United Nations!  Yes, really.

Fun fact: According to IMDb, the producers of Irwin Allen's big budget, all-star killer-bee movie "The Swarm," which was made the same year as this flick, paid the makers of "The Bees" a bunch of $$ to delay the release of their movie so it wouldn't damage "The Swarm's" box office potential... but if memory serves, "The Swarm" tanked anyway.

It's been a while since I've seen "The Swarm" but if I had to choose between it and "Bees," I think I'd go with this one -- it's shorter than "The Swarm" and its unintentional comedy factor is absolutely off the charts. This one's a total hoot.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #424 on: July 30, 2020, 08:59:08 AM »

SPINDRIFT'S HAUNTED WEST (2020): A visual album covering the psychedelic/western band Spindrift's "Ghost Town" tour, where they visit remote parts of the American west to play their songs. Great Monument Valley-style scenery and psychedelic imagery; if you dig the band's mix of Ennio Morricone, acid rock, traditional folk, and noisy punk (Jello Biafra guests on one number), this is quite watchable. Also would make a great background for your next peyote session. 3/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #425 on: July 30, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »

Death Car on the Freeway - If you like stuff like Charlies Angels and CHIPS definitely check this out. It would have made a fantastic episode of either of those shows, probably tighter and more fun than this just okay made for tv movie.

A crazy guy is running women off the road. Since this is 1979 there are no cameras anywhere. I love old movies where its super easy to do crimes and get away with it. To convey how out of control this guy is, he is repeatedly shown putting in an 8 track of what they keep calling country music but sounds like an insane free jazz freakout of some kind. (maybe they should go after whoever made that music, not the guy?) A not particularly charismatic TV reporter who must have been famous in 1979 works to find him before he kills all the women in cars in the world.

George Hamilton is awesome as her jerkwad ex husband. Some good detective type stuff toward the end and the ending itself was classic.

3.75 /5
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:06:36 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #426 on: July 31, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »

SHE DIES TOMORROW (2020): Amy is convinced that she will die tomorrow; she spreads this irrational belief to everyone she meets. A melancholy and oddly compelling thought experiment about what life would be like if we constantly lived with consciousness of our own death; similarities to the current pandemic are accidental, but reflect the nation's darkest doubts at the moment. 4/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #427 on: July 31, 2020, 09:27:40 PM »

"Kingdom of the Spiders" (1977)
Before "Arachnophobia" or "Eight Legged Freaks," this was the Big Kahuna of killer-spider movies. William Shatner stars as the veterinarian of a small Arizona desert town under siege by hordes of p**sed off tarantulas, who've added humans to their menu since their usual food supplies have been killed off by pesticides. This long time drive-in fave and late night TV staple has aged surprisingly well. Creepy, crawly fun!

pennywise37

« Reply #428 on: August 01, 2020, 04:35:09 AM »

The Swarm (1978) tanked hard yes but if i'm not mistaken Michael Caine considers it his worst film even though it's not by far. The Bees also (1978) is a great film that's a lot of fun. John Carradine with a really good size role for a change is good in it though why he plays Russian isn't it? 

i have no idea. i went in with low expectations when i first saw it and ended up loving it.

anyways i watched Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1988) i listened to the audio commentary and that's a must watch but check out the one with the director and it's cast. i haven't heard the other one yet to be fair.

i watched  Jurassic Park 3 (2001) tonight and i really enjoyed it more than i thought i would to be honest, i have heard nothing but how bad the 2nd and 3rd one are and i watched the 2nd one last night i liked it but i didn't love it, i think i gave it 7/10 i think or an 8/10  i forget which that one was overlong i think and needed more work on the script but it wasn't as bad  as i thought it was going to be. the 3rd was a lot better than i thought it was going to be i loved it.10/10 i  don't think it's the best one though i haven't seen them all to be honest. i still need to see the last one to be fair but the hate these films get is shockingly 

huge. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #429 on: August 01, 2020, 07:03:06 AM »

DEAD MEN WALK (1943)
George Zucco plays dual roles of an undead vampire and his brother who hunts him down to destroy him.
So-so PRC cheapie, with Dwight Frye as a Renfield type (of course) in one of his last roles.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #430 on: August 01, 2020, 09:09:45 PM »

"Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" (1993)
In this theatrical spin off from "Batman: The Animated Series," there's a new vigilante in Gotham, picking off the leaders of the city's underworld -- and Batman is the prime suspect. To clear his name, Batman will have to re-connect with a lost love from his past, and battle (who else?) The Joker for the millionth time. Cool, action packed stuff with the usual excellent voice work.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #431 on: August 02, 2020, 03:07:41 AM »

Cosmic Voyage 1936

This is a Stalin-era movie to spur interest in the great adventure of space flight, with Tsiolkovski himself as a scientific adviser. It is not a particularly good movie, but is has a more grounded take on space flight than many other movies of the era. In many ways I was reminded of Tintin's Objectif Lune. The story takes place in 1946, when an intrepid crew land on the Moon and rescue a cat (really). Not doing things by halves, they go straight to the far side of the Moon.

The crew consists of Professor Sedikh, his assistant Marina and bright young lad Andrej (who looks like a young Chico Marx). Marina takes no nonsense from anyone. When her fiancee Viktor, who was supposed to make the trip, gets cold feet, she is happy to replace him. When he tries to stop her, she knocks him down and enters the rocket ship. That is how you get female astronauts on the Moon!

(On a terminological note, the text panels talk of 'astronauts' and not of 'kosmonauts').

A must watch if you like historical SF

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #432 on: August 02, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »

"Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics" (2010)
Documentary on the long and occasionally bumpy history of DC Comics, home of Batman, Superman, and many more. Interviews with comics pros old and new and vintage photos & films trace the company's rise from humble pre-WWII days to its current status as a publishing and multi-media powerhouse. Fanboy fun.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #433 on: August 02, 2020, 10:55:16 AM »

Bluebeard (1944)

John Carridine in a rare leading role where he plays an artist who feels compelled to murder the women he paints. Still a good watch more than three quarters of a centuary since it was made.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #434 on: August 02, 2020, 03:47:23 PM »

MY NEIGHBOR WANTS ME DEAD (2019): Menaced by the mystical neighbor outside his door, a man trapped in his apartment keeps dying over and over. It intends a narrative of sorts, but it's really more of a collage of small-scale experiments involving VHS artifacts, psychedelic green screen, and dark humor. Less than an hour long and free on Prime. I didn't hate it, but you might. 2/5.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.