Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:30:15 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600674 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #720 on: November 26, 2020, 12:20:36 AM »

DARKEST HOUR (2017) - I saw this movie twice in the theaters, and I DVR'd it this week so I could watch it again.
Gary Oldman's portrayal of Winston Churchill is arguably the finest depiction of a real historical figure by an actor that I have ever seen (the only one that rivals it would be Daniel-Day Lewis in LINCOLN).   And this film's focus on Churchill's first month in office, at a time when he was far better known for his failures and shortcomings than he was for his courage and tenacity, shows us the man behind the legend in a portrayal that is both humorous and poignant.  One of my favorite historical films of all time!  5/5 and then some!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #721 on: November 26, 2020, 10:03:55 AM »

rc - those mid 60's almost all the way to full exploitation ones but still with a classic feel are great. like the one with the nazi guy on the beach and the glowing sea blob

The FLESH EATERS (1964)!
Great movie!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #722 on: November 26, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »

the BERMUDA TRIANGLE (1978)
A boatload of morons go to the Bermuda Triangle in search of a lost underwater city.
Among them Hugo (CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD) Stiglitz, the guy who played PUMAMAN, and...John Huston?
While cruising to their doom, they find a cursed doll floating the seven seas of Hell, get attacked by headless parrots, see weird lights, encounter a ghost ship, and some other plot lines that meander like a homeless guy pushing a shopping cart full of garbage.
Directed by the cinema genius that is Rene Cardona Jr, who gave us NIGHT OF THE BLOODY APES, this might have been entertaining in a BAD movie way, if it wasn't almost 2 HOURS LONG.
This trailer may feature John Huston, but his total screen time amounts to maybe 5 minutes max.

Small | Large

Oh yeah. It's on Tubi. If you feel like having a 3 day drunk fever dream come to life.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:07:08 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #723 on: November 26, 2020, 08:34:53 PM »

"Into the Dark: Pilgrim" (2019)
This seemed appropriate for Thanksgiving night viewing.
A privileged suburban family hires a group of Pilgrim "re-enactors" to their home on Thanksgiving to give them a truly "authentic" Turkey Day experience. Unfortunately for them, these "Pilgrims" have rather strict rules about being properly "thankful" and begin handing out stern punishments for the family's "ungrateful" ways.
This slow burning Hulu original (part of their ongoing "Into the Dark" series of seasonally-themed horror flicks) from the Blumhouse Productions factory takes a little while to get going, but cranks up the nastiness in the satisfyingly gory, ultra-violent second half. I wasn't expecting much from this one at first, but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #724 on: November 26, 2020, 09:23:06 PM »

WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST (1958)
Ok- This is a sequel to the AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN (1957) wherin Col. Glenn Manning gets turned into a 60 foot giant after getting caught in an A-bomb blast. Of course!
Anyway- he survives that film and comes back as a 60 foot mutated, really ugly, Frankenstein grunting monster. Plus for his death, like TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN, the film breifly goes COLOR!
Plus the monster is real scary looking!  Buggedout
It also helps that you see the monster early in the film. I hate it when they take an hour to show the monster.
This is not a gothic horror film. It's a giant monster movie. Gimme the monster!  hot
I love this movie.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:01:14 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #725 on: November 28, 2020, 04:59:13 AM »

Tau (2018)

A small time pickpocket gets kidnapped by an IT genius to serve as a guinea pig in his project develop an AI. In order to escape she has to outwit her captor and the AI running the house.

A bit of a disappointment. It is not bad as such, the plot has enough twists and turns to keep it interesting, both actors (and Gary Oldman, voicing the AI) give solid performances, but it is a bit too much by the numbers to be really interesting. More could have been made of the psychological duel between the arrogant and erudite psychopath on the one hand, and the  resourceful small time hustler who had learned to survive on the streets, on the other. Ed Skrein and Maika Monroe do what they can, but they don't have all that much to work with. Also, the movie tries to be philosophical about the status of AI and the question of what constitutes a person, but is not as clever as it thinks it is. Ex Machina, it is not.

It is, however, exceedingly stylish. It takes the cyberpunk neo film noir esthetic of Blade Runner 2049, turns it into high fashion gloss and then cranks everything up to 11. You get one amazingly beautiful shot after another. Too bad that the CGI is a bit dodgy in places.

Not a waste of time, but not a must see either.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #726 on: November 29, 2020, 07:37:26 AM »

VAMPIRE DOLL (1970)
A young man returns from America to Japan to visit his fiancee, only to discover she has died.
Or has she?
Amazing photography, good acting, and a scary as hell vampire girl make this gothic horror from Toho Studios (!) worth your while.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #727 on: November 29, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »

1917 - I rewatched this World War I epic last night and am still very impressed with it.  Beautiful cinematography, haunting soundtrack, and an engaging story make this one of my favorite war movies of all time. 5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pacman000
« Reply #728 on: November 29, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Made for a long afternoon; they probably could’ve made 2-3 movies from that one book!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #729 on: November 29, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »

"Anna and the Apocalypse" (2017)
Scottish teens sing, dance, and slaughter their way through their zombie infested small town as they try to reach their families during the Holiday season. Yes, this is a zombie Christmas musical... and as absurd as that concept sounds, it works. The young cast totally sells it (especially Ella Hunt, who plays "Anna") and even though I usually hate musicals, I gotta admit, some of the songs were actually pretty catchy. "Anna" is a funny, bloody, tongue-firmly-in-cheek genre mashup in the vein of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series (whose musical episode, "Once More With Feeling," was clearly a major influence on this flick).
You may love it, you may hate it, but it's worth seeing this sing-along sickie at least once.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #730 on: November 30, 2020, 11:36:43 AM »

"Cop Out" (2010)
Two NY cops (Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan) tangle with a brutal gang of Mexican drug smugglers as they try to recover a stolen, extremely valuable baseball card. Pretty typical "buddy cop" shoot'em up nonsense, but Willis and Morgan make a good team.

"Cop Out's" back story is almost more interesting than the film itself -  this was Kevin "Clerks" Smith's first and only "director for hire" gig. Apparently he and Bruce Willis did not get along at all during filming, and the the experience was so unpleasant for Kevin that it put him off working for the major studios (as well as films that he didn't write himself). In spite of all the behind the scenes drama, "Cop Out" turned out to be a decent rainy day time waster.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #731 on: November 30, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »

Lisa (1990) - this is one of those movies that's interesting and even compelling, but you can see why it doesn't get talked about much.

A girl and her Mom (Cheryl Ladd who looks okay) are having typical coming of age teen/ mom fights. Somehow this results in the 14 year old girl becoming fixated on a much older man...who's also a serial killer!!  

As salacious as that sounds, the director, while talented, just doesn't have the gusto to go for the Orphan like sordid disaster this needed to be. The finale doesn't have the tension it needs, Cheryl Ladd is mostly annoying, and basically it can't decide if it wants to be a lifetime movie or a horror movie. At the same time, the girl and her friend were funny and it was unique. I had to stop it a bunch of times to read my twitter feed though

I'll say 3.75 /5 it's well made but not super engrossing,
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 04:53:15 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #732 on: November 30, 2020, 10:10:32 PM »

"LIve Free Or Die Hard" (2007)
High tech terrorists are systematically shutting down the United States via a series of cyber-attacks, and of course our only hope is good ole John McClane. As usual, lots of stuff gets shot, punched, crashed, and blown up real good. This was the first "DH" film in a dozen years and though it doesn't quite match up to its predecessors, it's an entertainingly ultra-violent butt kicker.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #733 on: December 01, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »

"Silent Night" (2012)
Small town Wisconsin cops hunt for a psycho dressed as Santa, who's killing off "naughty" citizens in extremely gory ways. Unfortunately the town happens to be full of guys in Santa suits for the annual Christmas parade, which obviously complicates the process.
This "loose remake" of the classic 1984 Santa slasher "Silent Night, Deadly Night" might have an even bigger mean streak than the original. The kills are brutal and gory, and the performances are great (esp. Malcolm McDowell as the gung-ho Sheriff and Donal "Grounded For Life" Logue as a drunken anti-capitalist street Santa). There's even a "garbage day!" reference and several nods to the original "SNDN" for sharp eyed fans.
If memory serves, I wasn't crazy about this flick the first time I saw it a few years ago, but something about it "clicked" with me the second time around. Worth a look, even if you usually hate remakes.

Mildly unsettling fun fact: the psycho Santa's weapon of choice in this movie - a flame thrower - was apparently inspired by a real Christmas Eve mass killing that happened in California in 2008. Ho ho ho, indeed.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #734 on: December 01, 2020, 07:09:50 PM »

"Crumb" (1994)
Terry Zwigoff's portrait of underground cartoonist Robert Crumb, whose psychedelic and psycho-sexual comic strips defined the late '60s counter culture movement. Robert's a weird guy who draws weird comics, but when you meet his brothers Charles and Max, you'll realize that he's the most normal one in his family... which is really sayin' something.
"Crumb" is not so much a celebration of Robert's famed artwork, but more of a disturbing study of family dystunction and its effects on each generation. Weird and fascinating in equal measure.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.