Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:41:28 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600909 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #810 on: December 27, 2020, 05:01:13 AM »

Who Killed Captain Alex? (2010) - epic epic stuff. remember the Stolen bible trailer? Well that's like Avatar compared to this. A Ugandan commando unit works to take out a drug kingpin Tiger Mafia Richard, but he has a few tricks up his sleeve for sure. It's in their native language, but there are English subtitles and also something called a "Video Joker" which is a combination of MST3K style wiseacre remarks combined with a sort of cheerleader. stuff like "Uganda Ghetto Air Force" and "movie movie movie movie!!!!"

It's as good as it could possibly be, but of course the movie itself stinks. They've got a long way to go to even catch Nigeria, but there is some funny stuff and even some kung fu, which is also pretty funny.

4.25 / 5

I'm def on board for the next one Bad Black also on tubitv. Can someone get ahold of Andrew to check the veracity of the military tactics? I might add a .25 star if they're good

It has a good review here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjLOY9iNEE

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Dr. Whom

« Reply #811 on: December 27, 2020, 05:35:16 AM »

Dog Soldiers (2002)

A squad of British soldiers on a training mission in the Scottish Highlands are attacked by werewolves. This is basically a zombie movie with werewolves, including the turning after being bitten thing.

This is the directorial debut of Neill Marshall, who went on to do The Descent and the 2019 Hellboy. Dog Soldiers has got a following, and I can see why. It is well made and has got some solid performances, but it didn't do much to me. While it does a lot with a limited budget, it lacks an overarching character or story arc to keep things interesting. Instead it is just a bunch of scenes one after another, cool scenes admittedly, but it feels more like ticking off boxes. You even have the female scientist who inexplicably changes into a tight fitting tank top half way through. There is a twist of sorts, but not a particularly surprising one, and it again feels shoehorned in, because there has got to be twist.
Great movie if you want to learn British swear words, though. Also points for the most unexpected use of a Matrix quote.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #812 on: December 27, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »

THE BAY (2008) I saw this shortly after it released and I rented it at Hastings (MOMENT OF SILENCE for a great store chain now gone).
I saw that it was on Showtime and DVR'd it a few weeks ago and rewatched it last night.  Good movie, overall, it's "sort of" a found footage film - the story of a horrific outbreak of carnivorous parasites in a small town in Maryland is reconstructed through news footage and recovered cameras from the scene. Of course the "outbreak" never happened, but the movie makes you forget that as you see the story progress from a few people with boils and lesions to a full on disintegration as hundreds fall dead, with mutated isopods crawling out of their bodies and latching onto others to infect them.  A well-done, convincing little horror film!  It was pleasant to revisit.  4.5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #813 on: December 27, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »

"She has another change of heart and is trying to come up with $3 million to buy back the christmas tree farm." sounds like a really top notch executive there

Well, she sold the tree farm for $1.7 million but the guy who bought it asked for $3 million when she wanted to buy it back. So she only really needed $1.3 million. One of the tree farm people gave her $450.000.00. He said he's been saving money for bad times  Buggedout I do not remember how she got the rest of the money though.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #814 on: December 27, 2020, 10:04:12 AM »

THE BABY OF MACON (1993): Medieval spectators watch a blasphemous play about a virgin birth that takes on Grand Guignol character as lines between performance and reality blur. Far too cruel, strange, and sick for casual viewing, but there's no denying the immense (and intense) obsessive/compulsive artistry involved; director Peter Greenaway burns bridges with his audience as he takes von Trierish provocation as far as it can go. Free on Amazon Prime, but not for the faint of heart or anyone who can't stand "pretentious" movies. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #815 on: December 27, 2020, 02:04:03 PM »

claws- she did a leveraged buyout of a local wreath farm and started a hallmark ponzi scheme with the funds from that. it saved the day

dr whom - the youtube version is the same as the one I watched on tubi
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:06:56 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #816 on: December 28, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »

BLACK MOUNTAIN SIDE (2014)

When I first started watching this I thought "Oh. Another the THING rip-off.".
But it's really not.
A group of scientists are studying millions of years old ruins in Artic Canada.
They lose contact with the outside world and slowly go insane, chopping off thir own limbs, comitting hari kari, and killing each other. The ending is real "WTF"?! On occasion some ancient god thing mumbles crazy s**t in their heads. Or are they just going insane?
 It's pretty dam good!
A quote from the mumbling demon/god thing:

Deer God: "When an animal looks up at the night sky, what does it see? Thousands and thousands of tiny points. Then a man looks up at the same points and sees millions of stars; galaxies, within which are billions of planets. Do you want to know what I see? Were you there when I created the stars?"

It has elements of the SHINING in as it's a spooky look at the effects of isolation. "What the old timer's call cabin fever." But this isn't a rip off of the THING or the SHINING. It pretty much it's own movie.
And for so disturbing and violent a film, it's real quiet-which makes it all that much more spookier.
One of the best horror movies I seen this year.

Small | Large

PS: Did I mention the octopus bacteria?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 08:22:40 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #817 on: December 28, 2020, 12:43:17 PM »

I liked that one RC. It's on my watch again list.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #818 on: December 28, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »

Cujo - I saw parts of this when I was a kid, but I don't think netflix had it. Is it not very popular?

A family is in a rough spell as an ad guy is having problems at work and in his marriage. It doesn't help that his son is the wimpy kid from "Who's the Boss?". With all this turmoil it certainly makes sense for him to take a trip. While he's gone though, a rabid dog traps the wife and kid in a car for several days.

Seemingly the dog is a magnet for all the negative energy going on. It's kind of like "The Birds": animal attacks but for unspoken spiritual reasons.

The Who's the Boss? kid is pretty annoying and the husband is a little on the saintly side but all in all it was pretty classic. the hook is the shots of the St Bernard covered in all kinds of gooze and spittle menacing everyone in its unique lumbering fashion.

4.75 / 5

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:24:49 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #819 on: December 29, 2020, 02:12:25 AM »

"Hayride" (2012)
A serial killer escapes from police custody and hides out in a barn that's part of a small town's Halloween "Haunted Hayride" attraction. You can probably figure out the rest.
Cheap, cheesy slasher junk with idiot characters, minimal gore, and mostly-awful acting. Followed by a sequel which I will make sure to avoid.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #820 on: December 29, 2020, 09:48:11 AM »

LA LLORONA (2019): An aging Guatemalan ex-general, accused of genocide, is haunted by those he's wronged while holed up in a mansion surrounded by protestors. It packs a punch at the end, but go into it expecting a supernatural drama; as a horror movie, it almost feels like one long first act.  3.5/5

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #821 on: December 30, 2020, 10:10:12 AM »

BAD HAIR (2020): Shy Anna, who works at a BET/MTV-style cable startup at the dawn of the 1990s, gets an expensive weave at her boss' request; wouldn't you know it's haunted? It's was a good idea to explore black women's complicated relationship with their hair, but wigs ain't scary, and the satire here either misses the mark or is just too culture-specific for me to get. A Hulu/Neon co-production. 2.5/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #822 on: December 30, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »

"Lemmy" (2010)
Immensely entertaining documentary on the legendary Motorhead frontman, captures him on tour and at home, while an endless stream of famous fans and colleagues confirm what we all pretty much knew already - that Lemmy was the coolest rock n roll mo-fo ever to walk the Earth. This is probably my 3rd or 4th viewing of this flick, which has become one of my favorite "rock docs" in recent years.

Dr. Whom

« Reply #823 on: December 31, 2020, 06:16:21 AM »

Idaho Transfer (1973)

Directed by Peter Fonda, no less. A secret research facility trying to develop teleportation inadvertently discovers time travel. They establish a link with  a point about fifty years in the future, when some catastrophe has apparently wiped out the human race. For reasons only young people can make the transfer so a group of teens are sent over to explore and perhaps repopulate. However, the project is suddenly shut down, leaving the group stranded in the post-apocalyptic future.

This could have been a good movie. It is strong on atmosphere, and cuts exposition and character introduction to its barest minimum. You just see character interacting and events happening and have to connect the dots yourself. However for this concept to work you need an intelligent script and expressive actors, and this movie has neither. For the most part, I didn't know who was who or even what they were called, and characters just wander in and out the story. This is compounded by atrocious acting. Most of the cast had no film experience before (or since). It is almost as if Peter Fonda went to a mall and asked a bunch of random kids whether they were free next Saturday to make a movie.

This needs a remake.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #824 on: December 31, 2020, 05:05:55 PM »

"Netflix vs. the World" (2019)

An engrossing documentary about the rise of Netflix, from its humble beginnings as a small mail order movie rental service, to its current status as a streaming powerhouse and major player in movie and TV content creation.
It was particularly interesting to learn that Blockbuster Video once had a chance to buy Netflix when it was in its infancy, for $50 million... and they passed. I bet the guy who made that decision spends most of his time crying in a dark room these days...

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.