Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:09:09 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 601160 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1425 on: October 08, 2021, 10:04:50 PM »

Willow Creek (2013) - another day another found footage dollar. the date is 2013 and it is very of that time. It still owes a debt to Blair Witch but it is clearly conscious that it's a genre and they need to do something to make themselves different. That ends up being the main guy and his girlfriend having snarky interactions and then realizing they are in danger together. It works but the ending wasn't enough. oh its about bigfoot

3.75 /5

I enjoyed WILLOW CREEK immensely - that 20 minute continuous shot in the tent at night is one of the most harrowing scenes that I've ever watched in a horror film. In fact, in an interview the two stars said they got so creeped out during the first take that they had to stop shooting and do it over, and even the second time, much of the fear on their faces was real.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1426 on: October 09, 2021, 01:39:33 AM »

Felidae a German adult horror mystery animated movie done with a cast of mainly talking cats.
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1427 on: October 09, 2021, 05:29:53 AM »

Power Rangers (2017)

Surprisingly watchable, but completely by the numbers reboot of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. This is not a bad movie, just completely uninspired and predictable. It is an origin story, of course, because what else can you do with superheroes? Strangely, considering the silliness of the original, they chose a more serious tone, and follow the evolution of the rangers from a bunch of misfits to a dedicated team of superheroes. As the pacing is very deliberate, this means it takes about 90 minutes before they suit up and start fighting baddies. It is competently done, it just doesn't stand out in any way.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1428 on: October 09, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »

"American Nightmares" (aka "Mr. Malevolent," 2018)
Two computer hackers get hijacked by a mysterious storyteller who uses their screens to show tales of terror with an urban slant. Segments include an unusual online dating scenario, a hooker who meets a murderous clown, a right-wing radio host who learns a violent lesson in gender politics, and more.
Cheap but occasionally funny "Creepshow"/"Talles From the Crypt" style anthology starring Danny Trejo as the Crypt Keeper style host and featuring a bunch of familiar faces like Nichelle "Star Trek" Nichols, Clarence Williams III ("The Mod Squad"), Vivica A. Fox ("Independence Day") and Jay Mohr. I've seen better, but I've also seen lots worse.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1429 on: October 09, 2021, 10:32:35 PM »

"Deep Rising" (1998)
Would-be pirates board a luxury liner in the South China Sea, planning to pull off the robbery of the century -- but they soon learn that the passengers and crew have already been devoured by a monstrous, octopus-like creature from the depths, and they're next on the menu.
A fast, funny, tongue-extremely-in-cheek creature feature/action thriller from Stephen ("The Mummy") Sommers, starring a hilariously deadpan Treat Williams ("NOW what?") as the square-jawed hero and Famke "Goldeneye" Janssen as the damsel in distress. A hidden gem, this one's tons of fun.

"Shocker" (1989)
A college football player must stop a serial killer who survives the electric chair by becoming a creature of electrical energy, who can travel through television signals and jump in and out of other people's bodies.
A flashy, but ultimately pretty dumb, cult item from a slumming Wes Craven, who was definitely phoning this one in - apparently Universal Studios hired him in the hopes that he'd create a new Freddy Krueger style horror icon for them. The result is a confused, overlong mess that goes from mildly interesting to irritatingly stupid pretty quickly. At least it had a great soundtrack featuring Megadeth, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, Dangerous Toys, and more.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1430 on: October 10, 2021, 09:05:07 AM »

ANGST (1983): Fictionalized story based on infamous Austrian murderer Werner Kniesek, ANGST follows a killer who immediately goes out and tortures and slaughters a family of three on the day he is released from prison. A frightening addition to the serial killer genre, notable for its excellent camerawork, brutal intensity of star Erwin Leder, and odd stylistic choices (like the constant presence of the family's dachshund). 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1431 on: October 10, 2021, 08:55:40 PM »

"Boo" (2005)
College students spend their Halloween night exploring an abandoned and supposedly haunted former hospital, which of course has a sordid past. You can probably guess out how well that turns out for them.
An effective, low budget little spook show from future "Sharknado" director Anthony Ferrante that throws in pretty much every "haunted" cliche you can think of - objects moving by themselves, blood seeping from walls, ghostly kids, frequent flashbacks to horrible things that happened back in the day, possession by restless spirits, blah blah blah. The gore, while cheap, is plentiful. "Boo" doesn't have an original bone in its body but I had fun.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1432 on: October 11, 2021, 02:16:04 PM »

Godzilla vs Kong (2021)

This franchise is getting more entertaining with each installment. It is very much a Kong movie, with the human story being relegated to a B-plot, and that is as it should be. You're not watching this for the dialogue or the characters, you want spectacular kaiju action, and you're getting it in the form of a wonderful duel among the neon lit skyscrapers of Hong Kong (presumably Tokyo would have given Godzilla too much of a home advantage). There is a plot of sorts, involving a nefarious corporation whose secret base has worse security than the Death Star, but the real protagonist is Kong, and they did a great job on him.

One minor peeve: the director of photography is overdoing the orange and teal colour scheme, especially in the first half.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:18:45 PM by Dr. Whom » Logged

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Jim H

« Reply #1433 on: October 11, 2021, 11:34:35 PM »

Night Killer - A stinker, from the director of Troll 2.  Stupid, and kind of confusing, very poorly written and acted.  More watchable than you'd expect though.  It's sort of a slasher/torture/rape film.  I don't know.  The gore insert shots, added after principle photography, stick out like a sore thumb.  The ending twist is complete nonsense.

Extra Ordinary - Minor but cute Irish horror comedy.  Will Forte is the villain, a guy trying to do a human sacrifice to become a star again.  The two leads are awkward and charming together with a minor bit of romance.  It's not laugh out loud funny too often, but remains entertaining start to finish.

Wrong Turn (2021) - A quite different reboot.  Relatively well-made, much more so than I expected.  But the writing doesn't quite live up to the production quality, with lapses in logic that are just too big at times.  Also feels like they had to slap some horror into what's basically a mystery-thriller.  Matthew Modine is wasted.  A plus side - the during-credits finale of the film elevated it quite a bit. 

The Thing (2011) - What a waste of time.  It's a prequel, but functionally a remake, and is worse literally across the board.  Worse characterization, far worse structure, worse score, worse acting, worse effects.  Just rewatch the original, you'll be way better off.  It's not actually AWFUL, just completely pointless with nothing new at all.
Jim H

« Reply #1434 on: October 12, 2021, 04:40:35 PM »

Benny Loves You - I have no clue how this has such good reviews.  Total misfire almost across the board.  I've rarely seen a film with such a huge failing in tone.  It tries to be a horror comedy about a guy's killer stuffed bear come to life (with some shades of Little Shop of Horrors/Bucket of Blood).  It's hard to describe why it fails so badly.  Unearned schmaltz for a start.  The violence is way too mean spirited.  The opening gag of a man seeing his parents brutally, randomly, and graphically killed on his birthday sets the stage if that tells you anything.   The scene just made me sad more than anything, and the mom only being horribly injured and THEN dying doesn't help.  It's never funny despite constantly trying to be, in this stuff.  Huge lapses of logic and unexplained events.  A random ending out of nowhere.  A final pointless slap in the face of end-credits nastiness.  I hate the main character.  I hated this movie.   

1/10.

The only praise I have, I'll say Benny himself is well designed, well animated and whoever did the voice did a great job.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #1435 on: October 12, 2021, 07:16:52 PM »

Psycho Goreman - From the creators of Man-Borg and Father's Day, this is sort of like an R-rated Power Rangers movie crossed with ET.  It's creative with a lot of fun creature effects and I love the title character.  The performances vary wildly in quality, and some of the characters are kind of annoying.  The premise also feels stretched a bit thin.  It's almost never boring though.  My biggest complaint is, like a lot of these throwback styled films, it has no heart.  It's missing that bit of magic and heart that a film like Turbo Kid has.  Still, if the first sentence appeals to you, check it out.  I'd give it a 6 or 7/10, which is probably generous.
I just watched this movie. 

You left out the fact that even by the end of the movie, you have no idea who to cheer for. 

The little girl is a brat and PG want to destroy the universe but on the other side who have their weird religious cult that wants to enslave the universe. 

You also forgot to mention one of the classic aspects of bad movies that you don't see anymore.  The closing credit rap song. 

My favorite of the monster guys besides the main character was the guy that was just a blood squirted tank full of heads, skulls, and such.  That was a wonderful monster design.
Jim H

« Reply #1436 on: October 13, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »

Psycho Goreman - From the creators of Man-Borg and Father's Day, this is sort of like an R-rated Power Rangers movie crossed with ET.  It's creative with a lot of fun creature effects and I love the title character.  The performances vary wildly in quality, and some of the characters are kind of annoying.  The premise also feels stretched a bit thin.  It's almost never boring though.  My biggest complaint is, like a lot of these throwback styled films, it has no heart.  It's missing that bit of magic and heart that a film like Turbo Kid has.  Still, if the first sentence appeals to you, check it out.  I'd give it a 6 or 7/10, which is probably generous.
I just watched this movie. 

You left out the fact that even by the end of the movie, you have no idea who to cheer for. 

The little girl is a brat and PG want to destroy the universe but on the other side who have their weird religious cult that wants to enslave the universe. 

You also forgot to mention one of the classic aspects of bad movies that you don't see anymore.  The closing credit rap song. 

My favorite of the monster guys besides the main character was the guy that was just a blood squirted tank full of heads, skulls, and such.  That was a wonderful monster design.

Yeah, fair additions. 

BTW, that monster guy with the blood tank is voiced by Rich Evans of RedLetterMedia (the guys who do the Plinkett Star Wars reviews, Best of the Worst, among other things).
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1437 on: October 14, 2021, 06:12:58 AM »

THE EXCEPTION (2016)  It is the spring of 1940, and Hitler's Wehrmacht has begun its blitzkrieg into the West.  A young German officer, recovering from wounds suffered in Poland, is assigned to the aging Kaiser Wilhelm as the head of personal security for the Kaiser and his household.  There he meets and falls in love with a beautiful housemaid - played by the lovely Lily James (DARKEST HOUR, BABY DRIVER) - who, as it turns out, is also a British agent on a secret mission to eliminate the Kaiser (Christopher Plummer).  Wilhelm, meanwhile, has hopes that the Nazis are going to restore him to the throne as a figurehead to lend credibility and a measure of legitimacy to their bloody-handed regime.  Beautifully filmed, full of palace intrigue, this was very enjoyable movie with powerful performances and some interesting plot twists.  4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1438 on: October 16, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »

"The Purge: Anarchy" (2014)
In the second "Purge" film, a group of average citizens find themselves stuck out on the mean streets of L.A. during the annual all-crime-is-legal-for-12-hours "holiday," and must figure out how to survive amidst the chaos. As usual for this franchise, there's not much plot, but there's plenty of ultra-violence laced with not-very-subtle social commentary. I actually like this one better than the original "Purge."

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1439 on: October 16, 2021, 03:48:36 PM »

THE MADS: A NIGHT OF SHORTS 5: Frank Coniff and Trace Beaulieu take on three shorts: a Captain Marvel serial, a "how much affection" anti-heavy-petting short from the 50s, and a 70s Halloween safety short that sucks all the fun out of the holiday. The shorts were fine but only lasted a little over an hour; the rest of the broadcast was a zoom call with a special guest, some guy who wrote a book on the history of comedy. Funny, but I didn't really feel like I got my money's worth, since the majority of it was just like listening to a podcast. A begrudging 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.