Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:44:42 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600910 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1665 on: January 12, 2022, 09:53:21 AM »

"Rapture-Palooza" (2014)
Left behind on Earth after the Rapture, a twenty something couple (Anna Kendrick and John Francis Daley) simply want to be left alone to adjust to their bizarre new surroundings, which include rain showers of blood, fireballs falling from the sky, stoner demons, and foul mouthed birds. Things become complicated when they encounter Satan, aka "The Beast" (Craig Robinson), who takes a shine to Anna and wants her as his bride. Wacky hi-jinks ensue.
A snarky low budget religious/apocalypse comedy that gets by mostly on the charms of its leading lady and the comic timing of her supporting cast.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1666 on: January 12, 2022, 10:27:40 AM »

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND (2021): Documents the seminal underground rock and roll band from before its foundation to the glory days with Andy Warhol and Nico to its eventual breakup after only four albums. Todd Haynes tells the story in collage, using carefully chosen 1960s vintage footage edited like a Warhol film and using period techniques like split screen, to create the most artistically advanced rock doc you'll ever see. 4.5/5.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1667 on: January 12, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »

The Yin-Yang Master: Dream of Eternity (2021)

Not to be confused with other similarly titled movies, based on roughly the same source material. Following my plan of watching whatever Chinese fantasy spectacular Netflix suggests.

This is much more compact and muted than any other of its kind I have seen so far. There are still enough spectacular magic battles with loads of CGI, but the focus is more on the tension between a handful of characters, without the visual overload, criss crossing plot lines and stuff happening right left and center of the other Yinyang master. And you have the bromance (dare we call it a love story?) between Qing Ming and Bo Ya. Quite enjoyable, if you like the genre.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:59:02 AM by Dr. Whom » Logged

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1668 on: January 12, 2022, 04:23:57 PM »

Salad Days - as mentioned by Fast Freddy, this is a documentary about the Washington DC hardcore scene. I grew up going to shows in Boston circa 87-early 90's and saw Fugazi, Swiz, Soulside and some of the other bands in this when they performed here. Basically, New York was rough and pretty conservative, Boston was in between and DC was sons and daughters of politicians and lobbyists who acted exactly as you would think the offspring of moderate democrats would. Needless to say, NY and DC didn't really get along. As time went on, bands in DC evolved into something more arty, bands in NY stayed largely the same and again Boston was somewhere in between.

none of this is in the documentary I'm just talking here.

Anyway, Ian Mackaye of minor threat and later Fugazi is the unifying figure for all the generations. The scene initially attracts attention for its thrash acts and becomes synonymous with the "straight edge" movement. Later, it became ground zero for what would eventually be called emo music. Another figure in the documentary is Brian Baker. I've always viewed him as a Judas like character and in subsequent years and interviews he kind of confirms that. He breaks up Minor Threat because he wants them to be more commercial, he later formed and broke up Dag Nasty while dragging them into a less punk format and then abandoned punk entirely to form Junkyard a generic LA strip sort of band. I can relate to want to make a living playing music but..... moments later "teen spirit" came out and fugazi were perfectly positioned to make millions, which they did while maintaining their dignity.

Anyway, if you were around then it's interesting to see. I like too that they admit they got a little too involved in politics for a while. can't really give it a score its too niche.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 12:12:27 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1669 on: January 14, 2022, 02:07:12 PM »

"Movie Hoarders: From VHS to DVD and Beyond!" (2021)
Occasionally interesting documentary about die-hard movie buffs who refuse to give in to streaming video and continue to collect films on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.
Some of these guys have absolutely AMAZING collections, and as a fanatical music collector (CDs for life, yo!) I can totally relate to the devotion to physical media over digital, but after a while, watching these guys all saying essentially the same things about their "nostalgia" for VHS and the days of Blockbuster Video gets old.
If this had been an hour long, it would have been a fun watch. At a hair over two, it eventually turns into an endurance contest. For the last half I spent more time looking at all the cool junk these goobers had on their shelves than listening to what they were saying ("Oh sh*t, he's got three versions of 'Cannibal Holocaust' AND a clamshell 'Savage Weekend'!").

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1670 on: January 15, 2022, 12:30:07 AM »

City of the Dead (1960) - I didn't realize this was a British production, probably because every speaks in American accents. I guess if you look at it as proto Hammer horror its pretty good, but as proto grindhouse it's not that good.

A hot and suspiciously polite (now I know why: she's british) blonde goes to a New England town to research witchcraft. The fog machine is working overtime in this town, but nonetheless the first half of the movie is pretty on point. In the second half, you come to grips with the fact that it's 1960 and too early for the movie to go where it is supposed to go, but it's decent enough to hang on till the end.

3.75/5 I've certainly seen worse

that's a lot of fog on the ground

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1671 on: January 15, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »

"Savage Weekend" (1979)
Five wealthy Manhattan-ites take a ride upstate for a relaxing weekend in the country, where a masked slasher starts picking them off. Yes, that's the whole plot.
Filmed in 1976, but wasn't released till '79 to cash in on the post-"Halloween" slasher craze.
A pretty dull, slow moving sleaze/horror flick that doesn't get into gear till the last half hour. Skip it.

"Captain America" (1990)
After Reb Brown but before the MCU's Chris Evans, Matt Salinger (son of "Catcher in the Rye" author J.D. Salinger) played Marvel's star spangled Avenger in this cheesy but fun low budget flick. Frozen in the 1940s, Cap is thawed out fifty years later to continue his battle against the Red Skull, who's now an international terrorist who has kidnapped the President of the United States. The story is a muddle and the budget limitations are painfully obvious, but there was enough action to keep me entertained, even if it was for all the wrong reasons.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1672 on: January 15, 2022, 02:55:31 PM »

THE MADS ARE BACK: A NIGHT OF SHORTS 6: Frank and Trace riff on old shorts about sanitation, telephone etiquette, and that old standby, teen dating. OK, these are funny as hell but... there's only a little over an hour of them. They spent another hour doing a Q&A with the guy from "Master Pancake Theater" (which I've never seen, though he seems funny enough). A little of the zoom-podcast-style stuff as bonus content is OK, but I'm paying for these. It can't be that hard to find twenty more minutes of public domain shorts. I want polished material, not just clever guys shooting the s**t. Rant aside, 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1673 on: January 16, 2022, 10:29:01 AM »

GUTBOY: A BADTIME STORY (2017): Gutboy (a marionette fisherman) is tricked into selling his skin to Besto (a capitalist marionette), and seeks revenge with the help of a similarly skinless "mermaid" marionette. Then the gold giants start to wrestle. This absurdist puppet fairy tale musical is slight, but persistently eccentric enough to keep you watching through its wisely brief runtime of just over an hour (including prologue and a post-credits cannibalism bonus short). 3/5. Free on Prime.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:32:53 AM by Rev. Powell » Logged

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1674 on: January 16, 2022, 04:51:27 PM »

Death By Metal (2016) - I started off watching a documentary about ska but ironically it made me depressed. I liked Fishbone and that first Bosstones album (which is basically a Fishbone tribute album) but I get a Lawrence Welk vibe from the whole 90's ska thing. Too many major chords I don't know.

I was much more at home with this one. The first metal band I really liked when I was a skater punk was Death. They were similar to the hardcore bands I listened to in that most of their songs had a thrash part leading into a heavy part. Soon enough I became a metal head , for a minute anyway, before alternative rock took over. I saw Death on their Leprosy and Spiritual Healing tours, but had no idea of the tumult behind the scenes largely due to main songwriter Chuck Schuldiner's unpredictable and sometimes inept decisions as leader. Tours would frequently be cut short by Chuck being angry about something or other. He would also do stuff like send a prospective new guitarist a tape of songs, but only including the parts where that guy was going to be doing solos, making it very difficult for to get a feel for the thing.

Still, Death became a huge name in metal and many of us preferred them to some of the storied Monsters Of Rock A list bands. When I have a metal song in my head it's usually something from Leprosy, Spiritual Healing, or Human. He had a gift for setting up the riffs and lyrical phrases for maximum impact. The most noteable ex death member by far is Richard Christy who found success as a member of the Howard Stern radio team. In 2001 after 5 or 6 albums, Schuldiner was diagnosed with a brain tumor and it wasn't long before he died from it, despite the very best efforts of his family and friends.

Another one I can't really give a rating too. If you're a Death fan it's a must see, if not I doubt you'd find it interesting.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:57:52 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1675 on: January 16, 2022, 10:42:02 PM »

"Venom: Let There Be Carnage" (2021)
In this sequel to the 2018 Spider-Man spinoff, Eddie Brock is still adjusting to sharing his body with the symbiotic Venom creature, and has to battle against Carnage, a serial killer who's escaped from Death Row with the help of another symbiote. Just as much crazy ultra-violent fun as the original.

"Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys" (2004)
A descendant of the original Puppet Master (Corey Feldman!) must use his wooden friends to stop the satanic CEO of a major toy corporation, who wants to commit mass Christmas morning murder via millions of lethal playthings. Yes, it's just as ridiculous as it sounds.
Full Moon Pictures loaned out two of their most popular franchises to the Sci-Fi channel (now SyFy) to make this holiday made-for-TV flick. Some of the stop motion puppet effects are charming and Vanessa Angel (of the "Weird Science" TV series) is clearly having fun as the vampy villainess, but if you take the toys and puppets out of the equation, this is pretty much the same plot as "Halloween III," dressed up in Christmas wrapping, on a budget of about twenty-five bucks.
AVOID.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1676 on: January 17, 2022, 06:18:32 AM »

OPEN WATER 3: CAGE DIVE   (2015)

Three young American tourists are going on a cage dive with great white sharks in Australia as part of their audition for some reality TV show.
When a freak wave capsizes the travel boat, they wind up adrift in the ocean surrounded by a swarm of hungry sharks.  Personal drama, incredibly bad decisions, and munching of said tourists by hungry sharks follows.  Pretty much standard found footage sharks in the ocean movie.  3/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1677 on: January 17, 2022, 10:15:12 PM »

"Red Notice" (2021)
An FBI agent (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) reluctantly partners with a wise-ass art thief (Ryan "Deadpool" Reynolds) in order to beat another master criminal (Gal "Wonder Woman" Gadot) to a priceless treasure. A globe-trotting action/heist flick in the "National Treasure" or "Raiders of the Lost Ark" vein, this Netflix original is fast moving, funny, and full of twists, turns, and double crosses.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1678 on: January 17, 2022, 10:55:34 PM »

COVID Film Festival, Part I:

Since I was pretty well out of it today, I laid around and watched movies.  A triple feature, in fact:

LINCOLN (2012) - Spielberg's classic portrayal of our sixteenth President and the battle he faced getting the Thirteenth Amendment through a stubborn, racist Democratic Congress while juggling the responsibilities of America's bloodiest war and his own tempestuous marriage is one of my favorite historical films of all time.  Daniel Day-Lewis is brilliant as Lincoln, Sally Field chews the carpet as Mary Todd, and a strong supporting cast fill out this incredible bit of history brought to life.  5/5

RISE: BLOOD HUNTER (2007) - Lucy Liu is a journalist who gets turned by a coven of vampires and then decides to hunt them all down and kill them for making her a monster.  This vampire tale simply doesn't rise to the level of most vampire movies, even if Liu is quite fetching in the title role.  3/5

ALL THE WAY (2016)  Brian Cranston lights up the screen as larger-than-life Texas politico LBJ.  Carrying Johnson from the moment of his swearing in on Air Force One through Election Night, 1964, the movie focuses on his drive to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act and his turbulent relationships with Martin Luther King, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, and Georgia Senator Dick Russell.  Powerful performances with a close attention to historical accuracy make this one a great watch! 5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1679 on: January 18, 2022, 01:27:50 AM »

COVID Film Festival, Part I:

Since I was pretty well out of it today, I laid around and watched movies.  A triple feature, in fact:

LINCOLN (2012) - Spielberg's classic portrayal of our sixteenth President and the battle he faced getting the Thirteenth Amendment through a stubborn, racist Democratic Congress while juggling the responsibilities of America's bloodiest war and his own tempestuous marriage is one of my favorite historical films of all time.  Daniel Day-Lewis is brilliant as Lincoln, Sally Field chews the carpet as Mary Todd, and a strong supporting cast fill out this incredible bit of history brought to life.  5/5

RISE: BLOOD HUNTER (2007) - Lucy Liu is a journalist who gets turned by a coven of vampires and then decides to hunt them all down and kill them for making her a monster.  This vampire tale simply doesn't rise to the level of most vampire movies, even if Liu is quite fetching in the title role.  3/5

ALL THE WAY (2016)  Brian Cranston lights up the screen as larger-than-life Texas politico LBJ.  Carrying Johnson from the moment of his swearing in on Air Force One through Election Night, 1964, the movie focuses on his drive to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act and his turbulent relationships with Martin Luther King, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, and Georgia Senator Dick Russell.  Powerful performances with a close attention to historical accuracy make this one a great watch! 5/5

I hope you're not sick 😯😮

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.