Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:43:46 PM
713352 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600822 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1680 on: January 18, 2022, 07:34:47 AM »

COVID Film Festival, Part I:

Since I was pretty well out of it today, I laid around and watched movies.  A triple feature, in fact:

LINCOLN (2012) - Spielberg's classic portrayal of our sixteenth President and the battle he faced getting the Thirteenth Amendment through a stubborn, racist Democratic Congress while juggling the responsibilities of America's bloodiest war and his own tempestuous marriage is one of my favorite historical films of all time.  Daniel Day-Lewis is brilliant as Lincoln, Sally Field chews the carpet as Mary Todd, and a strong supporting cast fill out this incredible bit of history brought to life.  5/5

RISE: BLOOD HUNTER (2007) - Lucy Liu is a journalist who gets turned by a coven of vampires and then decides to hunt them all down and kill them for making her a monster.  This vampire tale simply doesn't rise to the level of most vampire movies, even if Liu is quite fetching in the title role.  3/5

ALL THE WAY (2016)  Brian Cranston lights up the screen as larger-than-life Texas politico LBJ.  Carrying Johnson from the moment of his swearing in on Air Force One through Election Night, 1964, the movie focuses on his drive to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act and his turbulent relationships with Martin Luther King, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, and Georgia Senator Dick Russell.  Powerful performances with a close attention to historical accuracy make this one a great watch! 5/5

I hope you're not sick 😯😮

I've got a mild case of COVID this week.   So far not feeling too awful.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1681 on: January 18, 2022, 12:55:07 PM »

Ghostbusters: Afterlife - It's...  OK.  McKenna Grace is quite good as Phoebe, but almost everyone else underwhelms and is underwritten.  Still, she's likable and the movie is nicely shot and relatively entertaining for about half the runtime.  The cameos at the end are awkward and pointless.  I don't understand why they basically remade the entire first film in the climax.  Just, why?  I can't really recommend it but I didn't hate it.  At least I saw it for free.  5/10.

The Last Duel - This is a solid period drama, with a pretty interesting structure.  Good performances.  I will say, having some familiarity with the real story, I actually wish it had been even closer to reality.  But I understand most of the changes.  I think you could make a different movie about this which was nothing but the final trial and the duel, which would also be quite interesting on its own.  Le Gris tried to prove he couldn't have been there due to distance, and had testimony from a guy claiming what he was doing - only for that testimony to be damaged by the witness being accused of rape himself!  It's a quite dramatic trial.  But overall a good drama and worth a watch.  8/10.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1682 on: January 18, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »

Temple Wood: A Quest for Freedom (2012) - extremely cheap, not that good, but dumbly okay horror movie that has elements of Midsommer and maybe Antrum but is not remotely as good as those. A nerdy guy stumbles upon some sort of book about a thing that comes out in a circle in the forest. Yeah, not very original. There are way way too many shots of him and his face and not nearly enough of the cute landlady of the house he stays in. I won't give it away but there is one unforgettable/ hilarious scene at the peak of all the woods weirdness. less than 90 minutes thankfully. This would need a ton of work to be featured on any other channel besides tubi. Ending of course made no sense

2.75 /5
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:30:09 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1683 on: January 19, 2022, 10:37:33 AM »

"Thunder Force" (2021)
Lukewarm Netflix original with Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer as two estranged childhood friends who become super heroines thanks to a secret formula, and protect their city from super villains with names like "Laser" and "The Crab."
McCarthy's husband wrote and directed this, so naturally she gets most of the good lines and Spencer doesn't do much besides roll her eyes at her partner's wacky shenanigans.
There are a couple of decent chuckles and the special effects are passable, but the story just goes around in circles.
Melissa and Octavia are apparently close friends in real life, and I'm sure they had fun making this movie, but it wasn't as much fun to watch as I'd hoped. Skip it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1684 on: January 19, 2022, 10:44:11 AM »

DUNE (2021): In the distant future, the galactic Emperor sends House Atreides to the planet Dune, where treachery and prophecy awaits young Paul Atreides. Denis Villeneuve does what David Lynch could not: makes a decent, detailed and comprehensible adaptation of Frank Hebert's sprawling messianic sci-fi novel. Some minor pacing problems arise, including an abrupt ending to this first installment, but fans of the novel should largely be pleased and newcomers may be intrigued. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1685 on: January 19, 2022, 01:11:32 PM »

"Max Knight: Ultra Spy" (2000)
Made-for-TV sci-fi nonsense about a super cool, cyber-savvy secret agent whose search for a missing girl leads to a would-be super villain who wants to kill all humans and upload their collective consciousness to the Internet... for some reason.
...so basically, this is a mash up of "The Matrix" and "Lawnmower Man," on a budget of about six bucks and a Subway coupon, full of hilarious "tech-y" catch phrases that were clearly written by guys who'd just discovered the Internet. The bad guy looks like a nu-metal bro-douche and his henchmen (henchwomen?) are a trio of rollerblading, gun toting hotties who look like evil Spice Girls. The CGI and V.R. effects were probably pretty whiz-bang when this was made, but they look like cave drawings by today's standards.
I assume that this cartoonish cyber-crap was intended as a pilot for a regular TV series. We should all be grateful that never happened.
AVOID.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1686 on: January 19, 2022, 03:42:46 PM »

starting watching a Serbian tv series called Black Sun. It's good but I don't know anything about the region and am having some difficulty keeping track of the politics. the Macedonians vs Russian vs ???  so not sure I'll stay with it

It's also known as Balkan Shadows. it's about gangsters in the 1920's
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1687 on: January 20, 2022, 10:23:10 AM »

"When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors" (2009)
Johnny Depp narrates this slick documentary that journeys through the relatively short, but eventful career of Jim Morrison and The Doors, using lots of vintage live performances, home movies, interviews and clips from a rarely-seen experimental short film starring Jim called "HWY: An American Pastoral." Long time Doors fans probably won't learn anything new from this flick but it's a cool trip back in time.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1688 on: January 20, 2022, 11:00:06 AM »

BELFAST (2021): A boy grows up in Belfast in 1969, in the midst of the "Troubles." Kenneth Branagh's semi-autobiographical movie hosts no real surprises, but features outstanding performances and period detail. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1689 on: January 21, 2022, 09:27:57 AM »

THE POWER OF THE DOG (2021): When rancher George decides to marry a pretty widow and hosts her introverted intellectual son for the summer, it causes tension at the ranch with his mean and jealous brother/business partner Phil. A slow-paced, character-based Western drama, old-fashioned in both form and setting, that occasionally requires the audience to put two and two together. 3.5/5 On Netflix, and a strong contender for multiple Oscars.

Jim H

« Reply #1690 on: January 21, 2022, 10:36:27 AM »

Eyes of Fire - early 80s film unavailable on any format except a rare VHS for decades just got a really nice blu/Shudder release.  It's a colonial era horror film about a small group that flees their colonial village and ends up hiding from hostile Native Americans in a valley they fear that may be haunted.  Reminds me of a cross between The Witch and Aguirre as filtered by an 80s drama, though that's probably overselling the quality a bit.  It's nicely shot with some good atmosphere, but I don't think it fully gels across the board and the ending is weak.  But the visuals, weird imagery, occasional strokes of real creativity, and some of the creepy moments do make it worth a watch for horror fans.  6/10.

Rob Paulsen is a side character with a few lines, he's way better known as a voice actor - voicing Pinky in Pinky and the Brain, which won him an Emmy, and MANY MANY other voice roles.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1691 on: January 22, 2022, 11:37:04 AM »

"The Wrong Guys" (1988)
A troop of former Cub Scouts (led by the late Louie Anderson) organize a 25-year reunion camping trip, but their party is crashed by the now-grown bullies who used to torment them when they were kids, and a crazed escaped convict who's using the mountain as a hideout. Wacky hijinks ensue.
This better-than-expected low budget comedy features a interesting cast of '80s stand up comics (Richard Lewis, Franklyn Ajaye, and Richard Belzer round out the former scouts) mixed with reliable character actors  like John Goodman, Ernie Hudson and Brion James. A fun, mostly forgotten '80s flick.

"Shocking Dark" (aka "Terminator 2," aka "Alienators," 1989)
A task force is sent into a labyrinth of tunnels beneath post-apocalyptic Venice to find a team of missing scientists. They are met by a lone surviving little girl, hordes of homicidal mutations... and for some reason, a killer cyborg.
This notorious Italian schlock classic (directed by Bruno "Robowar" Mattei from a script by Claudio "Troll 2" Fragasso) shamelessly steals entire scenes from "Aliens" for the first hour, before suddenly turning into "The Terminator" in the final reel. It was even released as "Terminator 2" in some parts of the world with lax copyright laws, a full two years before the "real" T2! You almost have to admire the sheer cojones it took for the filmmakers to pull off a scam of this magnitude. "Shocking Dark" is so terrible, it's actually kind of awesome.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1692 on: January 22, 2022, 08:01:57 PM »

"Rifftrax: Freddie Steps Out": Bridgette Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl take on this old B-movie about a teenager who is mistaken for a pop idol with a wife and kids, and the "hilarious" confusion that results. I don't thnk Bridgette and MAry Jo are as funny as their male counterparts, but they have great chemistry together and it's fun to hear them talk---a lot of the time they sound like two friends having an irreverent chat instead of comedians making jokes. Still, the material is blah and I only rate this 2.5/5.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1693 on: January 22, 2022, 09:55:47 PM »

GALAXY QUEST (1997?)

Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, and Alan Rickman star in this delightful send-up of STAR TREK culture.   The retired crew of a popular TV science fiction series are interrupted in their comic-con circuit by a group of real aliens, who have mistaken their TV show for "historical archives" and have built a real, working version of the ship from the show.  They want the crew to help them fend off some vicious aliens who are attempting to conquer their planet, and Tim Allen as the Captain talks the crew into helping - although at first they think the ship is nothing but an elaborate, fan-built set.   A thoroughly fun sci-fi spoof, with Sigourney Weaver at the peak of her 1990's hotness.   5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1694 on: January 23, 2022, 12:41:22 AM »

PEP SQUAD (1998)  Cherry wants to be prom queen, and when she doesn't get nominated, she decides to kill the other candidates.  Along the way, new student Beth and her two friends ask for Cherry's help in disposing of the cruel, perverted high school principal that they "accidentally" murdered.
This was intended to be a parody of high school dark comedies like JAWBREAKER, but I just didn't get it.   Some semi-funny moments, and a couple of quick (and senseless) nude scenes couldn't redeem this train wreck.  2.5/5

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.