Main Menu

Recent Viewings, Part 2

Started by Rev. Powell, February 15, 2020, 10:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

The Bone Snatcher.

A scientist is sent to Namibia for a reason I missed. He finds himself travelling into the middle of the desert with a ragtag group of diamond mine workers when they come across the remains of another crew working for the same company. Initially believing one of the crew had murdered the others, they set off in pursuit but find themselves caught up facing something much more dangerous.

A UK/Canada/South African co-production, I thought it was fine as a b-movie. Something the monster does looks appropriately creepy (I can't talk about it though without spoilers), but it is let down by its CGI effects.
Your kisses turn princes into frogs and passion plays into monologues.

Trevor

Quote from: Alex on March 29, 2022, 04:19:58 AM
The Bone Snatcher.

A scientist is sent to Namibia for a reason I missed. He finds himself travelling into the middle of the desert with a ragtag group of diamond mine workers when they come across the remains of another crew working for the same company. Initially believing one of the crew had murdered the others, they set off in pursuit but find themselves caught up facing something much more dangerous.

A UK/Canada/South African co-production, I thought it was fine as a b-movie. Something the monster does looks appropriately creepy (I can't talk about it though without spoilers), but it is let down by its CGI effects.

It is very good: I know one of the producers, Chris Roland.  :thumbup:
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Alex

Quote from: Trevor on March 29, 2022, 09:51:27 AM
Quote from: Alex on March 29, 2022, 04:19:58 AM
The Bone Snatcher.

It is very good: I know one of the producers, Chris Roland.  :thumbup:

If it makes him feel good, feel free to tell him I enjoyed it.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Trevor on March 27, 2022, 09:30:56 AM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 27, 2022, 09:20:24 AM
"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" (2021)
after the disastrous 2016 all-female remake

Calling that pile of poo disastrous is being kind to it.  :buggedout:

Oddly enough, watching "Afterlife" actually made me want to revisit the all-girl "Busters," cuz even though I know I saw it when it first came out on video back in 2016, I remember nothing about it all these years later.  It left no impression whatsoever.
Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Alex

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 29, 2022, 03:50:52 PM
Quote from: Trevor on March 27, 2022, 09:30:56 AM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on March 27, 2022, 09:20:24 AM
"Ghostbusters: Afterlife" (2021)
after the disastrous 2016 all-female remake

Calling that pile of poo disastrous is being kind to it.  :buggedout:

Oddly enough, watching "Afterlife" actually made me want to revisit the all-girl "Busters," cuz even though I know I saw it when it first came out on video back in 2016, I remember nothing about it all these years later.  It left no impression whatsoever.

Uhm, lets see... Chris Hemsworth was in it, dick jokes and a big shoot out. That is all I can remember about it really, but hopefully, I've just saved you a painful rewatch experience.

Alex

The Cemetery Man.

The groundskeeper of the Buffalora Cemetery has to bury his 'customers' twice as within 7 days of being buried they come back to live looking for flesh to eat. His only help in this task is an idiotic oaf. The locals (especially the police), seem to be idiotic, unlikeable or both. It is a slow film, with lots of imagery and symbolism. Also nudity (it was rated as having one of the top ten set of breasts of the decade or something, although personally, I thought the nipples were a bit large for my tastes) from the same actress playing multiple roles (Anna Falchi) and the protagonist falling in love with her in each of them. Your mileage on this one is going to vary very much depending on individual taste, but I couldn't help but think that the Rev has most likely seen this one. I am not quite sure it counts as a full-blown Giallo or not, but it is certainly structured like one.

indianasmith

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2022, 05:15:38 AM
The Cemetery Man.

The groundskeeper of the Buffalora Cemetery has to bury his 'customers' twice as within 7 days of being buried they come back to live looking for flesh to eat. His only help in this task is an idiotic oaf. The locals (especially the police), seem to be idiotic, unlikeable or both. It is a slow film, with lots of imagery and symbolism. Also nudity (it was rated as having one of the top ten set of breasts of the decade or something, although personally, I thought the nipples were a bit large for my tastes) from the same actress playing multiple roles (Anna Falchi) and the protagonist falling in love with her in each of them. Your mileage on this one is going to vary very much depending on individual taste, but I couldn't help but think that the Rev has most likely seen this one. I am not quite sure it counts as a full-blown Giallo or not, but it is certainly structured like one.

One of the strangest films I've ever watched.  And Anna Falchi was HAWT!
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Alex

Burnt Offerings.

Old people sacrifice the lives of a young family in order to get their house renovated cheaply. Plenty of Oscar power in this one between Karen Black, Bette Davis, Burgess Meredith and Eileen Heckart all of whom either won one or were nominated. I thought Oliver Reed had won one as well, but it seems not. Anyway, a well-made film of the type you don't often see coming out.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2022, 05:15:38 AM
The Cemetery Man.

Indeed, I wrote a piece on it: https://366weirdmovies.com/114-cemetery-man-dellamorte-dellamore-1994/
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Rev. Powell

JACUZZI ROOMS (2006): Four rednecks get drunk in a motel room. The movie is literally four rednecks getting drunk in a motel room. The "b-side" to the shock comedy "Period Piece," which proves that being boring is even worse than being disgusting. 1/5.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

RCMerchant

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2022, 08:19:04 AM
Burnt Offerings.

Old people sacrifice the lives of a young family in order to get their house renovated cheaply. Plenty of Oscar power in this one between Karen Black, Bette Davis, Burgess Meredith and Eileen Heckart all of whom either won one or were nominated. I thought Oliver Reed had won one as well, but it seems not. Anyway, a well-made film of the type you don't often see coming out.

I LOVE that movie! I have the paperback version!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Allhallowsday

Burnt Offerings.

I think I started a thread about this movie a few weeks ago... I don't think it's well made, the script being the biggest problem.  And that one is from my man DAN CURTIS.  Here 'tis:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,156782.0.html
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

Alex

Quote from: RCMerchant on March 31, 2022, 11:02:08 AM
Burnt Offerings.

I understand the book finishes slightly differently from the film. I'd be interested to know what was changed.

Alex

Quote from: Allhallowsday on March 31, 2022, 11:10:58 AM
Burnt Offerings.

I think I started a thread about this movie a few weeks ago... I don't think it's well made, the script being the biggest problem.  And that one is from my man DAN CURTIS.  Here 'tis:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,156782.0.html

Shame, but then again it would be a dull world if we all liked the same stuff.

RCMerchant

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2022, 11:25:25 AM
Quote from: RCMerchant on March 31, 2022, 11:02:08 AM
Burnt Offerings.

I understand the book finishes slightly differently from the film. I'd be interested to know what was changed.

I'll have to take a look! I will tell you!  :thumbup:
"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant