Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:03:27 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600763 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2100 on: July 09, 2022, 10:43:56 AM »

THE MADS ARE BACK: WAR OF THE COSMOS: The feature movie is a "new" discovery of a 70s Italian sci-fi film that might have mads for a decent MST3K episode. The 50s-inspired script about astronauts finding a planet ruled by an evil robot could have been OK, if a bit threadbare, but the producers screw everything up: the lighting is so dim you frequently can't see anything, editing is often nonsensical, there's a ton of stock footage that never matches the action, and the robots look like toys that would severely disappoint 7-year olds who found them under their Christmas trees. It's not too much of a challenge for Frank and Trace to wring chuckles out of this material. Afterwards, special guest Jonah Ray talks knowledgeably about the intersection of film and comedy (but man, does he name drop!) A good episode. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2101 on: July 09, 2022, 01:51:21 PM »

I Come In Peace (aka Dark Angel) - Somehow missed this one over the years.  Dolph Lundgren buddy cop film where the drug dealer is an alien.  The alien has a disc weapon and it predates Predator 2 by a couple of months, so that's interesting.  But, of course, both are WAY predated by Without Warning. 

This one is pretty fun, light, and doesn't overstay its welcome.  LOTS of explosions (director worked on the A-Team, and it shows), well paced.  Tone is handled quite well, important for these films.  It's a bit of pap, but it's fun pap. 
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2102 on: July 09, 2022, 03:24:49 PM »

United States of Insanity - really good documentary about insane Clown Posse and their struggles with a gang designation given to them by the FBI. Many ICP fans were indeed violent and acted like they were in a gang, but the majority are just poor white people who work crappy jobs and turn to the group for it's sense of community and fun. The less said about the group's music the better. It seems to be a very corny combination of Run DMC and Cypress Hill with a lot of "horror core" lyrics.

"Alternative rock wanted nothing to do with us, rap wanted nothing to do with us either" no kidding!

I live in Massachusetts and have never seen a juggalo in person in my life. I imagine in other parts of the country people might have more ideas about them and their lifestyle but to me they just seemed like fry cooks on their break. The idea that they would be a caucasian equivalent to MS 13 or something is just silly. Unfortunately, government actions have consequences. Many innocent music (sort of) fans lost their jobs or were harassed by the police in a way they hadn't been before.

I'd rather die than drink 2 entire liters of fruity soda and mill about in a soggy field but this is America, damn it. Live and let live. The story culminates with their historic March on Washington a few years ago. very much akin to documentaries about Appalachia and Oxycontin and all that I think

5/5
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 03:29:03 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jim H

« Reply #2103 on: July 09, 2022, 07:13:10 PM »

I just watched Sense and Sensibility, the Emma Thompson version.  It's just excellent, top to bottom, one of the best period dramas I've seen.  It's on HBO Max these days.  Check it out.  It was also the first Jane Austen based film I think I've ever seen (discounting Clueless), so that was kind of cool.

United States of Insanity - really good documentary about insane Clown Posse and their struggles with a gang designation given to them by the FBI. Many ICP fans were indeed violent and acted like they were in a gang, but the majority are just poor white people who work crappy jobs and turn to the group for it's sense of community and fun. The less said about the group's music the better. It seems to be a very corny combination of Run DMC and Cypress Hill with a lot of "horror core" lyrics.

"Alternative rock wanted nothing to do with us, rap wanted nothing to do with us either" no kidding!

I live in Massachusetts and have never seen a juggalo in person in my life. I imagine in other parts of the country people might have more ideas about them and their lifestyle but to me they just seemed like fry cooks on their break. The idea that they would be a caucasian equivalent to MS 13 or something is just silly. Unfortunately, government actions have consequences. Many innocent music (sort of) fans lost their jobs or were harassed by the police in a way they hadn't been before.

I'd rather die than drink 2 entire liters of fruity soda and mill about in a soggy field but this is America, damn it. Live and let live. The story culminates with their historic March on Washington a few years ago. very much akin to documentaries about Appalachia and Oxycontin and all that I think

5/5

I grew up in Metro Detroit right as they were getting big (late 90s to early 2000s, when they first started going more national), so I actually went to high school with Juggalos.  One of them once wrote a short story and read it aloud in class about how they met ICP by throwing a dead body they found in front of their tour bus, and this was shortly after they knocked out some robbers at a convenience store with bottles of Faygo (then the grateful clerk gave them free Faygo).  For high school it actually wasn't too bad of a story, as ridiculous as it was.  

I always thought the band wasn't great and I didn't care for the music, but I had largely positive experiences with the followers; they were relatively common in the area, with it not being uncommon to see people wearing ICP shirts and even wearing the face make up once in a while in public.  It was pretty wild later on hearing the super negative views some people had of them when I got older; people just thought they were kinda silly, at least where I lived.  I don't remember any crime/violence/drug issues at all with them, and the gang designation seems, well, insane.

Side note, try Rock N Rye if you haven't.  Probably the best Faygo flavor.  Faygo is super common in Michigan, if you're ever in the area.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2104 on: July 09, 2022, 11:40:54 PM »

so perfect that you wrote that after reviewing "Sense and Sensibility"  BounceGiggle

Yeah my sense is the violent incidents were overblown by bureaucrats who do such things to justify their positions
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2105 on: July 10, 2022, 08:53:45 AM »

THE HOUSE (2022): Three stop-motion animated tales revolving around a mysterious house. The first two segments, one a Gothic fairy tale and one a contemporary psychosis, are actually quite macabre; the third is a bit of a bore, but the animation quality (from three directors) is top-quality throughout. 3.5/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2106 on: July 11, 2022, 03:38:04 PM »

"Spaceballs" (1987)
The heroic Lone Starr and his half man/half dog sidekick "Barf" rescue a princess from the clutches of the evil Dark Helmet, and then save her planet from the evil Spaceball forces with a little help from the mystic "Yogurt" in Mel Brooks' dead-on parody of the "Star Wars" saga and sci-fi flicks in general. I never get tired of this one.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2107 on: July 12, 2022, 09:16:44 AM »

THE TALES OF HOFFMAN (1951): Following the success of their ballet melodrama THE RED SHOES (1948), Powell & Pressburger bring a lavish adaptation of Jacques Offenbach's opera to the big screen. The poet Hoffman tells a drinking party three stories of women whom he has loved: one an automaton, one a courtesan, and one an ailing singer. The sets, costumes, makeup, performances, and dance numbers are all completely amazing; the bold, full-spectrum Technicolor is especially dazzling to the modern eye. The problem is, no matter how good it looks and despite the fact that it's been translated into English, it's still an opera, and therefore an acquired taste (besides running a bit long and dragging in spots). Rate it somewhere between 3-5; even if you hate opera (and I'm no big fan), you have to admit the visuals and the technical expertise are astounding. I'll give it 4.5.

pacman000

It's root beer & a candy cigar!

« Reply #2108 on: July 12, 2022, 10:49:37 AM »

Dick Tracey

Loose plot structure, like a newspaper comic. Made it a bit hard to follow, & a few plot points got lost along the way. About halfway through the movie, they decide to use musical montages for everything. Well, I guess that makes sense; they hired Madonna, so why not use her talent? Problem is, it makes things even harder to follow.

The film uses matte paintings & models for most long shots, plus bright colors & heavy makeup on most characters. They really wanted it to look like the comic. It's odd, but cool. That phrase might describe the entire film; odd, but cool. It's watchable, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. And yet for some reason I want to see it again, to see if I missed some stuff.

Video Game Article Archive: https://vgaa.neocities.org/
WebSiteRing, Listing Old Websites & Bible Verses since 2016! https://websitering.neocities.org/
pacman000

It's root beer & a candy cigar!

« Reply #2109 on: July 12, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »

"Meteor" (1979)
When a giant hunk of potentially planet-killing space rock heads toward Earth, an international coalition headed by a NASA scientist (Sean Connery) and his Russian counterpart (Brian Keith) must figure out how to blow it out of the sky before it's too late.
A cheesy but fun sci-fi/action epic that came along at the tail end of the '70s "disaster movie" wave and pretty much put the final nail in the genre's coffin. Turn off your brain and enjoy its blend of all-star casting (Connery, Keith, Natalie Wood, Henry Fonda, Martin Landau, Karl Malden, and more), outdated Cold War political subplots, and cheap but charming special effects.
I will gladly watch this one over Michael Bay's "Armageddon" (which is basically the same movie on steroids) any day of the week.
This is a better film than most people say. Good review.

Video Game Article Archive: https://vgaa.neocities.org/
WebSiteRing, Listing Old Websites & Bible Verses since 2016! https://websitering.neocities.org/
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2110 on: July 12, 2022, 08:51:46 PM »

"Punisher: War Zone" (2008)
The third big screen go-round for the Marvel Comics vigilante finds the Punisher (now played by Ray Stevenson) fighting a war on two fronts: first with the criminal organization run by the crazed "Jigsaw," and also with the FBI, who want him for the murder of an undercover operative. Lotsa bullets fly, things blow up, bones crunch, blood splashes, yadda yadda yadda.
This insanely ultra-violent, gory action flick (which, oddly enough, was directed by a woman!) was the most faithful-to-the-comics  "Punisher" adaptation yet, but despite that it tanked at the box office and ended the Punisher movie franchise. Bummer, cuz I wouldn't have minded a few more of these. Mindless shoot'em up fun.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2111 on: July 14, 2022, 03:14:27 PM »

Edge of Darkness (2010) - I'm from Boston and the s**tty accents and authentic locations were distracting, but this was watcheable with a decent sort of message to it. An a***ole corporate guy is probably involved in the death of a Boston detective (Mel Gibson)'s daughter and they face off, Gibson using his wiles and the corporate guy using shady corporate stuff.

Not much to say about it.

4/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2112 on: July 15, 2022, 09:08:20 AM »

FLUX GOURMET (2022): A "culinary performance" art troupe (e.g. a woman smears herself with tomato soup while a pair of DJs mike up her digestive tract and mix it with the sound of a blender) perform a one-month residency, where cutthroat rivalries and digestive problems arise. Some interesting moments, but besides simply playing out its absurd premise about "culinary performance," it's not clear what Peter Strickland is up to with this one: it's not as funny as IN FABRIC, and there's no clear satirical target or genuine emotional investment in the characters. 3.5/5, not for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:14:14 AM by Rev. Powell » Logged

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2113 on: July 16, 2022, 11:02:10 AM »

THE MADS ARE BACK: THE T-BIRD GANG: Awful movie with a dark, bad quality print. A young man goes undercover in a burglary gang to avenge the death of his night watchman father. There's a completely nonsensical edit where the gang is in police custody one minute and then free the next, but because of the nature of the dissolve and the running time, it seems this is the way it was originally presented. Awful movie, but Frank and Trace are quite funny this time out. The guest is Mike Nelson, who is a treat because he almost never does this kind of thing. 3/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2114 on: July 17, 2022, 08:06:58 AM »

"Superbad" (2007)
Three high school dorks get invited to the popular girl's end-of-school bash by promising that they can provide the liquor. They spend the rest of the movie getting in and out of a series of absurd situations as they try to make that happen. A pretty standard raunchy teen comedy; I didn't hate it, but it's nothing I would ever watch again

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.