Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:46 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600949 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2265 on: October 05, 2022, 12:03:34 AM »

"Saturn 3" (1980)
A pair of scientists (Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett) stationed on one of Saturn's moons get an unexpected visitor from Earth (Harvey Keitel) and his pet robot - both of whom quickly develop an unhealthy obsession with Farrah. This bland "Alien" knock-off has some cool set designs, passable special effects, and a really bad-ass looking robot, but the story just plods along. But hey, at least you get to see Farrah's bare boob for about two seconds, which was this movie's major selling point for ten year old me when it first hit HBO back in the day. :D

Farrah Fawcett had some amazing outfits in that movie.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2266 on: October 05, 2022, 08:46:00 AM »

THE RAZING (2022): Estranged friends gather on what might be the night of the apocalypse to take drugs, argue, and talk, talk, talk. You feel bad for the filmmakers, who had to make a movie with no money and basically one location and tried to spiff it up with innovative camerawork and sound design, but the plot is a case of obscurity masquerading as profundity, and it's impossible to become involved in the characters or their befuddling conflicts. 1.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2267 on: October 05, 2022, 03:37:52 PM »

Farmageddon - no it's not a Syfy celebrity cameo fest, it's actually a documentary about farming in the US, in particular the struggle for small farmers against the state, who seem intent on promoting the interest of large scale factory farming at all cost.

You've probably heard something about raw milk in the past few years. As the scale of farm industry began to expand in the early 20th century, some people would milk sick cows and use chalk and so forth to color the milk white. Pasteurization was a huge public health victory, but raw milk was still safe if you knew the farm and the farmer etc. These types of relationships were lost for decades, but are coming back now that locally sourced food is popular.

The government is often slow to pick up on things and this is no exception. Many millions are expended on harassing small farmers, who are by and large engaged in mutual trade with willing customers. No surprise, there is a revolving door from the factory farm industry and the various govt food enforcement branches. The strongest stuff here is from author and farmer Joel Salatin. Whatever the science is, you don't have to be a hippy or a doomsday prepper to see the vibe at the small farms is much cooler than the huge ones.

It's cheap and very one sided but I liked this doc well enough.

4.25 /5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2268 on: October 06, 2022, 09:51:10 AM »

"Krull" (1983)
A prince (Ken Marshall) assembles a rag tag force of thieves and oddballs to help him rescue his queen-to-be (Lysette Anthony) from a malevolent alien force known as "The Beast" before it takes over his planet.
This splashy, oh-so-British blend of Arthurian fantasy epic and "Star Wars" style sci-fi was released in the same summer as Return of the Jedi, which obviously crushed it at the box office.
Krull isn't terrible, but it's not very exciting either. There's a lot of cool/weird set designs, occasionally klutzy special effects, and sharp eyed viewers may notice early career appearances by the likes of Robbie Coltrane and Liam Neeson. Apparently Krull has garnered a cult following over the years, but I doubt I'll ever feel an urge to re-watch it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2269 on: October 06, 2022, 10:03:04 AM »

"Krull" (1983)
A prince (Ken Marshall) assembles a rag tag force of thieves and oddballs to help him rescue his queen-to-be (Lysette Anthony) from a malevolent alien force known as "The Beast" before it takes over his planet.
This splashy, oh-so-British blend of Arthurian fantasy epic and "Star Wars" style sci-fi was released in the same summer as Return of the Jedi, which obviously crushed it at the box office.
Krull isn't terrible, but it's not very exciting either. There's a lot of cool/weird set designs, occasionally klutzy special effects, and sharp eyed viewers may notice early career appearances by the likes of Robbie Coltrane and Liam Neeson. Apparently Krull has garnered a cult following over the years, but I doubt I'll ever feel an urge to re-watch it.

I saw it when it was first released: as you said, it isn't terrible and Lysette Anthony was fiiiiinnnnneeeee.  Wink

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2270 on: October 06, 2022, 09:24:33 PM »

"The Shed" (2019)
An orphaned teenager who's subjected to daily abuse by his grandfather and a group of school bullies learns life can get even more complicated, when a vampire gets trapped in an old shed on his grandfather's property and devours anybody who gets too close. His best friend thinks this is a great opportunity to get rid of the kids who torment them -- just feed them to the beast in the shed! -- but our hero's conscience eventually wins out and he attempts to do away with the monster instead.
A surprisingly entertaining low budget horror dramedy that makes the most of its small number of locations and its thin premise. Cheap, gory fun.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2271 on: October 07, 2022, 02:11:53 PM »

LUX AETERNA (2019): A female director and a female star filming a movie about witchcraft find their work sabotaged by a male mutineer. Gaspar Noe makes a short (under an hour) unapologetically pretentious experimental film in a Godardian mode; it's unfocused (it's a love letter to cinema, its about women's subjugation in the film industry, and mostly it's an experiment with real-time split-screens and intense stroboscopic effects) and seems like it's only half thought out---but what a half! 3.5/5.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #2272 on: October 08, 2022, 05:28:44 AM »

Cannibal Ferox/Make Them Die Slowly (1981)

An example of the Italian cannibal genre, mentioned on the video nasty list. An anthropology student and her friends seek out a village in the Amazon where cannibals are supposed to live, and meet two other Americans on the way. Turns out that these are drug dealers who have just brutally attacked the cannibal village and now the tribe seeks revenge.

This lives up to its reputation and is truly nasty. It is mainly a showcase for gore effects and body horror. Also, I don' t think they can say that no animals were harmed in the making of the film.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2273 on: October 08, 2022, 12:43:54 PM »

MST3K: THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME: Emily and the bots watch the cheezy 1979 post-apocalyptic sci-fi tale that's more inspired by "Battlestar Galactica" than the H.G. Wells story of the same title. I have to say, I probably laughed less at this than at any of Season 13's offerings, but the movie is reasonably easy to follow, despite Jack Palance's long, Shatner-esque pauses. 2.5/5.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2274 on: October 08, 2022, 12:59:16 PM »

MST3K: THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME: Emily and the bots watch the cheezy 1979 post-apocalyptic sci-fi tale that's more inspired by "Battlestar Galactica" than the H.G. Wells story of the same title. I have to say, I probably laughed less at this than at any of Season 13's offerings, but the movie is reasonably easy to follow, despite Jack Palance's long, Shatner-esque pauses. 2.5/5.

Rev, I'm a bit ashamed to admit I saw this in the theatre in 1979  Buggedout

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2275 on: October 08, 2022, 03:31:14 PM »

Embrace of the Serpent (2015) - I liked this black and white independent deep thinking sort of movie, but can see how it ended up on tubi. You're hoping for something like Apocalypto and it sort of is, but the flashbacks and so forth drain it of some of it's power.

A German guy in 1909 goes to the Amazon to find a rare flower that he thinks will give him the ability to dream, which he is unable to do. Over the course of the film, they struggle to find it and in doing so expose how colonialism works.  

It's really good it just could have been more direct. ending was unsatisfying

4.25/ 5
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 03:40:50 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2276 on: October 08, 2022, 09:44:23 PM »

SMILE (2022) - I saw the first trailer for this last year and immediately thought: I gotta see this one!
Last night my girls and I went to check it out, and we were not disappointed.  This is one of the scariest movies I've seen in a long time.

Rose Cotter, a psychologist, treats mental patients at an emergency clinic.  A young woman is brought in suffering from severe delusional trauma.  Four days before, a college professor had committed suicide in front of her by bludgeoning himself to death with a hammer.  Ever since, she's been haunted by something that follows her, occupying the bodies of other people, fixing her with a horrible, unearthly grin. Before Rose can prescribe anything for the patient, the woman goes into screaming hysterics, smashing a table and a vase of flowers.  Then she fixes Rose with a ghastly grin before slitting her own throat with a piece of the broken vase.

And that's just the beginning . . .

At first, the movie is overly reliant on jump scares, but as the plot unfolds, the terrifying moments become more and more effective.
Well-acted, with sympathetic characters and gruesome death sequences, the movie races towards its horrifying conclusion at such a brisk pace that you're left saying "Wait . . . it's over?" when the end credits roll. Great film!!  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2277 on: October 08, 2022, 10:12:21 PM »

"Vengeance 2: Bloodlines" (2022)
The follow up to 2019's highly successful Friday The 13th fan film picks up right where the last movie left off, with the father-and-son team of Elias Voorhees (C.J. Graham) and Jason continuing their mission to destroy the Jarvis family... and anyone else who's unlucky enough to get in their way.
"Vengeance 2" is a nice piece of work, easily on par with a "real" F13 movie. It's impressively shot and acted, with numerous in-jokes and call backs to previous F13 flicks, and of course, plenty of ultra-violent, gross-out blood and guts death scenes (if this were a legit entry in the F13 saga it would probably set a body-count record for the series). Vengeance 2 should keep Jason junkies happy till whenever the "real" franchise gets its s**t together again...

Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #2278 on: October 09, 2022, 01:20:34 PM »

Planets around us.  1962.  Surprisingly good Italian sci Fi flick. Another obe inspired by TDTESS.

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2279 on: October 09, 2022, 03:41:01 PM »

Morphine: Journey of Dreams (2014) - Being from Boston, I should know more about the band Morphine than I do, but I just never got around to checking them out beyond their popular grunge era song "Cure for Pain". They weren't Nirvana clones though, in fact their style of music is somewhat unprecedented: how many bands have a 2 string slide bass, saxophone and drums for a lineup? Tragically, lead singer and 2 string bassist Mark Sandman died on stage of a heart attack just as the band was kicking into high gear. They were all very pro musicians and their unique style could have taken them just about anywhere. They were particularly popular in Europe, where their more mature 21 plus sort of sound had made them legit stars.

Watching this, there is definitely something very outdated about Sandman's "cool" bohemian lyrics about nightlife and so forth and he clearly didn't come from a punk sort of background that someone like me would relate to, but the 2 string and saxophone thing was no gimmick. Henry Rollins of all people had my favorite anecdote about playing a festival where his band's stage time was the same as Morphine's. When the Rollins Band stopped playing he could hear Morphine and it seems like he was sort of wishing his band would take longer to tune and so forth so he could keep listening. Having seen the Rollins band perform a couple of times I can certainly relate. hard to describe their music, but their is something very 80's style retro 50's about it.

5/5

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 03:52:18 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.