Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:55:45 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 601061 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2370 on: November 24, 2022, 02:20:41 PM »

Ghosts of Hiroshima (2022) - much more ambitious than usual found footage sort of thing here. A guy who runs a "popular youtube account" comes up with a wacky way to review a new camera: by going to Hiroshima, Japan and checking out a house he has somehow inherited there. How does a white guy from California inherit a house in Japan? It's very complicated and in fact I don't understand it.

Yet he does, and when he gets there he meets a hot real estate agent. Things are definitely looking up, but not for long as the title would indicate. Without giving too much away: this is kind of a mess but has some scary stuff too. If you're a found footage buff it's an easy rec because its so different yet contains many of the conventions of the genre. for others, it may seem a little too artsy and political for a horror film. The director to his credit, just goes for it, contradictions and unexplained plot stuff and all.

4.5/ 5

« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 02:24:37 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2371 on: November 25, 2022, 10:11:22 AM »

THE JANES: A network of women in pre-Roe Chicago risk their freedom to obtain illegal abortions for the desperate who answer their flyer: "Pregnant? Don't want to be? Call Jane." Earnest but unexceptionally-structured talking heads doc that (perhaps unfairly) feels rushed out to capitalize on the Dobbs decision. Will go over well with the choir. There's also fictionalized re-enactment of the same story out, "Call Jane." 2.5/5

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2372 on: November 26, 2022, 12:19:18 AM »

CHAINSAW CHEERLEADER CHICKS (2018) 
OK, I like bad movies, obviously, or I wouldn't be here.
I'm all in favor of ill-fitting monster costumes, bad special effects, crappy CGI, gratuitous nudity, cheesy dialogue, and cheaply done gore.  Bad movies - at least MOST bad movies -are fun, silly, and often more creative than the slickly packaged, politically correct, mega-budget productions Hollywood dishes up at the theater.
But some bad movies aren't even entertaining.   They're just AWFUL.  This was one of those.  Horribly dialogue badly delivered, NO PLOT WHATSOEVER, extremely slow pacing, no gore, no nudity, no suspense, just - nothing to make it fun or interesting.  It was so bad, in fact, that my wife and I just sat and laughed out loud through the second half of the movie (she joined me halfway through).  We just shook our heads in disbelief at how awful it was.  I mean, NOAH'S SHARK at least had some semblance of a plot.  FAMILY PROPERTY: BACKWOODS HILLBILLY MASSACRE had gore and some action.  THE BLOOD SHED had gore aplenty, and was so silly you couldn't help but laugh at it.  But this abomination was just dreadfully slow, dull, and disappointing from start to finish - so much so that I somehow wound up laughing my butt off at it before it was done.  So, if you're a glutton for punishment, check this one out.  Misery loves company, right?   1/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2373 on: November 26, 2022, 09:16:38 AM »

The Block Island Sound.

I've been looking for a new creature feature movie to watch for a while now. Just one where some monster runs about. Not a slasher. Anyway, this turned out not to be what I was looking for. It is a very slow burn, I guess thriller more than horror? Fair enough performances, but I suspect it is just too slow-moving for most people and perhaps a slightly more concrete resolution. The budget seems to have been high enough to make the film without any glaring holes.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2374 on: November 26, 2022, 12:38:55 PM »

The Cleanse.

One of the guys from The Big Bang Theory (Leonard?) plays a nerdy guy (surprise, surprise), who joins a program designed to clear out his personal demons. He goes off to an exclusive retreat hoping to get a hot girl who is an actress (really not straying far away here so far).

It has a very "A Cure For Wellness" vibe to it so far.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2375 on: November 26, 2022, 03:21:21 PM »

Nobody Sleeps In The Woods Tonight.

A Polish movie. Basically a fairly standard slasher. Some boobs and some kills lifted straight out of other movies (the sleeping bag scene in the Friday the 13th series for example). Not totally terrible.

Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #2376 on: November 26, 2022, 03:29:03 PM »

The bay.

A good horror movie with found footage elements, a believable plot and great atmosphere.

Patlabor 2 the movie.

Anime, patlabor means 'patrol labor'. Labors are big robots people drive, the police use them for patrolling labot related crime, so patlabor.

The film deals with issues of terrorism, the why of it, how people believe it's right, how people fight it and what happens when it goes big. Not really a kid movie, grown-ups can like it too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 03:32:47 PM by Morpheus, the unwoke. » Logged

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2377 on: November 26, 2022, 11:48:36 PM »

"Purple Rain" (1984)
A rock musician (Prince) tries to keep his band together while dealing with his abusive father, his budding romance with the new girl in town (Apollonia) and competition from a rival act that's gunning for his nightly performance slot at a local club.
Prince's film debut/vanity project is essentially a feature length music video -- it doesn't have much plot, and the acting is negligible. However, the concert sequences are cool as hell (especially the rockin' rendition of "Let's Go Crazy" that opens the movie), and Apollonia is serious eye candy. This was my first time ever seeing "Purple Rain," which I guess is odd for a child of the '80s. I doubt I'll ever watch it again, but I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time, and now I can cross it off the list. Your mileage may vary depending on your level of Prince fan-hood.

"12 Monkeys" (1995)
A time traveler (Bruce Willis) from the post-apocalyptic future is sent back to the 1990s to figure out the source of a virus that will eventually kill 99 percent of the human population. Naturally, the authorities in the 90s just think he's crazy and lock him up in an institution, till a doctor finds his story plausible enough to help him in his quest.
Terry Gilliam of "Monty Python" fame directed this bleak, dystopian sci-fi/action flick with lots of twists and turns, and great performances from Willis and Madeline Stowe as the doctor/love interest. Watch for a young Brad Pitt in a supporting role as one of Willis' fellow asylum inmates.

"Darkman" (1990)
A decade before he took on "Spider-Man," Sam "Evil Dead" Raimi directed this slick superhero flick based on his own character creation, who's kinda like a cross between Batman, The Shadow, and the Phantom of the Opera. After he's horribly disfigured by mobsters, a doctor (Liam Neeson) embarks on a mission of vengeance against the men who destroyed his life. Fast paced, action packed stuff with a pinch of horror. An underrated flick that spawned two direct-to-video sequels.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2378 on: November 27, 2022, 12:34:12 AM »

Saturday Double Feature:

MUTANT VAMPIRES FROM NEPTUNE - Another Tubi TV bit of shlock, but a lot more fun than last night's snooze fest.  Two couples (plus the obligatory book nerd little sister) go to spend the weekend at a cabin in the woods, and run afoul of a goofy looking vampire creature that just crash landed on a UFO. The remarkably unlikable cast of characters get drunk, get nude, and get killed in the mayhem that follows.  An enjoyable, by the numbers cheese fest! 3.5/5

TERROR TRIP - A group of horror fans start a reality show where they visit places where iconic horror films were made, and stage screenings of the original films at the locality.  The show is a big hit, until they visit the site of a terrifying indie film shot in Poland, and run afoul of organ harvesters.  This one is quite well acted and genuinely gritty and terrifying at times. 4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2379 on: November 27, 2022, 03:42:30 PM »

ALL THAT BREATHES: Two brothers run a bird-rescue hospital in Delhi, against a backdrop of ecological decay and political turmoil. A somewhat dry and even depressing documentary, but with a spiritual sensibility of following a path of empathy and kindness in an increasingly dystopian world. 3/5.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2380 on: November 27, 2022, 07:59:40 PM »

BAD BLOOD (2016) A teenage girl coming home from college is assaulted by a strange creature; now when the moon becomes full she undergoes a horrifying transformation into a half-human, half-amphibian monstrosity that lives only to kill.  In other words, a were-frog!
OK, this sounds like a silly premise, but it's actually a pretty decent twist on the whole werewolf genre. 
Definitely worth the watch!  (Free on Prime)  4/5

Morpheus, the unwoke.
Bad Movie Lover

I am a Bill Maher Democrat. Deal with it.

« Reply #2381 on: November 27, 2022, 08:46:17 PM »

Mutant chronicles.

For a low budget movie based on a wargame this had a powerhouse cast lead by Ron Perleman and Thomas Jane.  It was low budget but had some work put into it that resulted in a very dark, moody,  atmospheric film with elements of steampunk, dieselpunk, horror,  scifi and apocalypse style films all in play.

They will come back, come back again, As long as the red earth rolls. He never wasted a leaf or a tree. Do you think he would squander souls?” ― Ruyard Kipling

We all come from the goddess and to her we shall return, like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2382 on: November 28, 2022, 02:25:15 PM »

THE QUIET GIRL: A troubled, neglected girl from a poor, large Irish farming family goes to spend the summer with distant relatives, and briefly thrives. A slow, modest, and poetic movie that dangerously flirts with turning over-sentimental, but ultimately delivers a strong emotional payoff. Everyone speaks mostly in Irish (which is a bit of a dying language but would have been more prevalent in 1981, when this is set), with a little English sprinkled in. Almost certainly won't be to people around here's taste--it's not really my kind of movie, either--but it is high-quality in its genre. 3.5/5.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2383 on: November 28, 2022, 03:22:59 PM »

Nobody Sleeps In The Wood Tonight 2.

The creatures from the first film return along with the final girl. Some local cops have arrested everyone still alive (other than an old guy who accidentally shot a kid, which seems like a bit of an error of judgement).

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2384 on: November 29, 2022, 07:47:01 AM »

LIMITLESS (2011)

A mysterious pill that enables the user to access 100% of his brain's abilities transforms a struggling writer into a financial wizard, but it also puts him in a new world with many dangers.

While the concept is kinda silly from start, since that myth of "we only use 10% of our brain" has been proved wrong a long time ago, it's interesting nevertheless. The problem is that the main character seem to act like an idiot for most of the movie, he definitely doesn't act like a super smart person. Why would he get in touch with a shark loan and forget to pay? Why didn't he secured a steady supply of the pill right away, instead of depending on the dealer? Why would he get in touch with shady characters at all, when he can do anything by himself?

My biggest gripe is that they don't really explore what a man that smart could do. Instead of finding cures for diseases, new forms of energy, or discoveries we can't even imagine, he just bang chicks and gets into the stock market. Apparently the pill gave him intelligence but not imagination.

Anyway, apart from these flaws, and a terrible feel-good ending that makes no sense, the movie is entertaining enough, and it's well acted. It also has some crazy camera effects that make you feel like you're on the pill also, which is nicely done.

My vote is 7, check it out.  Thumbup

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.