Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:44:28 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 244
Author Topic: Recent Viewings, Part 2  (Read 600970 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2700 on: March 27, 2023, 03:56:09 AM »

The Holly & The Ivy.

An older British film (black and white), about a family of generally whiny and unhappy people who do their best to make everyone else around them unhappy too, all while mostly maintaining the pretence of being prim and proper. At the very end, it all gets sorted, presumably because it is christmas, but most of the characters didn't seem to deserve a happy ending and I'd stopped paying full attention to it by this point. Denham Elliot plays one of the family (and one of the more likeable characters).

Smile.

Currently watching this one. It seems to be a reskin of The Ring, but good so far. I could see it being an SCP story.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2701 on: March 27, 2023, 06:13:42 AM »

Trevor - I should have said "hammer's syle is NOT really" made for tv. yeah it was just okay

Entrance (2012) - I'm a sucker for movies that get mixed imdb reviews. This was a bit of a misfire but does have some good stuff. The horror elements take a very long time to get started so for the first hour its a straight drama. The whole thing is kind of like a found footage movie that isn't found footage, its just shot weirdly. In fact, i wonder if it wasn't changed from found footage to regular at the last minute.

A young woman in LA ( I think) has a string of bad luck and has to decide if she wants to stay there or go someplace else. She meets lots of creepy guys who drive home the point that LA sucks. (What happened to the whole thing with her dog though? )

the bad reviews are generally justified but there is some talent on display. ending was okay.

3/5 basically a demo reel for the director to try and get work in Hollywood
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2702 on: March 27, 2023, 08:07:48 AM »

I watch a couple of the Hammer House of Horror tv british tv thingies. the first one was good but Hammer's style is really made for tv. They tried to compensate for the lack of gore and sex with plot and the results weren't too thrilling

That series was my first introduction to Hammer Films. One or two of those episodes were scary but for the most part, not really. 😊🐢

I think I binged all of these back at the beginning of the pandemic. Indeed, some good acting or nice twists in some of them, but pretty weak tea overall.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2703 on: March 27, 2023, 08:56:01 AM »

FAUST: LOVE OF THE DAMNED (2000): After his girlfriend is killed, a painter makes a pact with a magician to get revenge and turns into a serial killer. Starts like a relatively sane B-horror but after the midpoint twist it goes so deep into metalheaded boobery, mixing Satanic rituals with superhero tropes, that it becomes almost a parody. 2.5/5, or 3.5/5 on a bad movie scale.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2704 on: March 27, 2023, 10:26:11 AM »

Trevor - I should have said "hammer's syle is NOT really" made for tv. yeah it was just okay

Agreed.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2705 on: March 27, 2023, 10:53:55 AM »

FAUST: LOVE OF THE DAMNED (2000): After his girlfriend is killed, a painter makes a pact with a magician to get revenge and turns into a serial killer. Starts like a relatively sane B-horror but after the midpoint twist it goes so deep into metalheaded boobery, mixing Satanic rituals with superhero tropes, that it becomes almost a parody. 2.5/5, or 3.5/5 on a bad movie scale.

It's been 20 years but I recall thinking that there was nothing wrong w/ this film that couldn't have been ameliorated simply w/ MORE JEFFREY COMBS!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2706 on: March 27, 2023, 12:11:28 PM »

Everything Everywhere All At Once.

A strong contender for the least enjoyable movie I will watch this year. Started off ok, if coming off as a combination of The Matrix and The One, but somewhere along the line, it took a turn into The Fountain territory. It became an endurance test to watch this all the way to the end (ok, I bugged out as soon as the credits hit not wanting to wait and see if there were any credit scenes). It isn't the worst film I've ever seen, but it is fairly close. I really feel the need to watch something cheesily bad as a palate cleanser. I really hope I don't manage to find anything worse to watch this year.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 04:37:34 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2707 on: March 27, 2023, 05:48:45 PM »

"CHIPS" (2017)
The '70s motorcycle cop show gets a "Bad Boys" style 21st century update in a surprisingly entertaining action comedy. Two mismatched CHP officers - one who's actually an undercover FBI agent, the other a dorky rookie - are assigned to root out a gang of crooked cops who've been robbing armored cars on the side. Michael Pena and Dax Sheperd (who also wrote and directed) make a good "Ponch" and "Jon," and there's plenty of impressive stunt driving and pyrotechnics. This "CHIPS" crashed and burned at the box office but I had fun with it.

"Cassette: A Documentary Mixtape" (2016)
This documentary looks back on the humble cassette tape as it celebrates its fiftieth anniversary, reflects on its long life and the current retro interest in tapes. Interviewees include the Dutch audio engineers at Philips Electronics who created it in the early 60s (most of whom, strangely, don't seem to have much affection for the format; one guy says it was "just a job"), as well as longtime aficionados like Henry Rollins (of course, because he's in every documentary like this), Ian McKaye (Fugazi), various hip-hop figures, and lo-fi indie musicians who are still releasing their tunes on cassette to this day. This one was fun for a while but it could've very easily been a short (an hour or less) film, rather than a full length feature, because eventually it's just going around in circles. Your mileage may vary depending on your fondness for the format.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2708 on: March 28, 2023, 08:38:59 AM »

^ I still have a beat up double cassette boom box. Works great too! Except I ain't got no cassettes! But it's got an AM/FM radio too!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2709 on: March 28, 2023, 08:42:03 AM »

A strong contender for the least enjoyable movie I will watch this year. Started off ok, if coming off as a combination of The Matrix and The One, but somewhere along the line, it took a turn into The Fountain territory. It became an endurance test to watch this all the way to the end (ok, I bugged out as soon as the credits hit not wanting to wait and see if there were any credit scenes). It isn't the worst film I've ever seen, but it is fairly close. I really feel the need to watch something cheesily bad as a palate cleanser. I really hope I don't manage to find anything worse to watch this year.

That genuinely shocks me, I thought it was last year's best movie. Action, comedy, appealing star, enough weirdness scattered throughout to keep it fresh. Funny how opinions can differ. You may not have been in the mood for it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2710 on: March 28, 2023, 08:50:52 AM »

That genuinely shocks me, I thought it was last year's best movie. Action, comedy, appealing star, enough weirdness scattered throughout to keep it fresh. Funny how opinions can differ. You may not have been in the mood for it.

I enjoyed the start of it, although I thought it was veering too much on the silly side. When it hit chapter 2, I thought it went downhill fast and I just hated the rest of the movie. It is not one I think I'd try watching again. I was incredibly disappointed in the whole thing, especially after the high praise everyone else had heaped on it. As you say though, people have different tastes.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2711 on: March 28, 2023, 02:35:39 PM »

^ I still have a beat up double cassette boom box. Works great too! Except I ain't got no cassettes! But it's got an AM/FM radio too!

I'll have to look around; I've got tapes, usually mixes I had made 35 years ago...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2712 on: March 28, 2023, 02:54:35 PM »

^ I had a yellow tape by the Bad Brains awhile back, but it was so old, it got ate up.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2713 on: March 29, 2023, 12:28:20 PM »

^ the ROIR cassette thats the best one
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2714 on: March 29, 2023, 03:22:18 PM »

^ Yeah! That's it!  Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 244
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent Viewings, Part 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.