Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:28:26 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  New! Reading Anything Thread 2.0 « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Author Topic: New! Reading Anything Thread 2.0  (Read 68934 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2023, 10:59:23 PM »

A couple of months ago I picked up a copy of the complete works of Julius Caesar (Landmark Edition).  As I started to read it this week, I am once more amazed at the miraculous nature of the written word.  Here I am, reading the (translated) thoughts of a mind that was snuffed out nearly a century before the first books of the New Testament were written.  Caesar's words, scribbled on papyrus scrolls by the flickering lamplight inside his command tent somewhere in France, and carried by horseback to Rome to be copied, live on twenty centuries later, emblazoning the images and events that he saw onto my mind.  All through the miraculous, mundane, marvelous power of these things we call BOOKS!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2023, 07:17:34 AM »

i have no desire to read that as it's not the type of thing i normally would read but you are right though i do hope you enjoy it my friend. i'm reading one called Blind Sighted  (2001) by Karin Slaughter and yes that's her real name it really fits too since she writes mystery.   anyways i have heard of her in the past few years but i never had read her before than the tv show Will Trent came on early this year and i fell in love with it and than i saw at wallmart the 1st book in that series so i bought it and i'm glad i did haven't seen it since.

no doubt it was sold out really quick due to the show being a hit as it thankfully got renewed for a 2nd season.   anyways, i belong to good reads and i was looking up just reviews of the book and i came across one that someone had posted and said if you read her you need to start with the Grant County series and there's like 5 or 6 of them in all.  the reason being is they later have some characters go into the will trent series which is her main one i think so why not? so i downloaded it the 1st book and i'm already 56% into it on Chapter 16 it's pretty damn good i think and she can be graphic when talking about the dead bodies found. if you decide to read her be warned
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2023, 04:08:48 PM »

Biblical by Rob Halford (Judas Priest)

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2023, 01:19:51 PM »

Arthur Vandenberg: The Man in the Middle of the American Century.

Would that we had such a consensus-building politician in our time.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2023, 10:59:21 PM »

NAKED STATUES, FAT GLADIATORS, AND WAR ELEPHANTS - Frequently Asked Questions about the Ancient Greeks and Romans by Garret Ryan

One of my formers students gave me this book as a gift, and it's quite a remarkable read!  I know a good bit about the ancient world, but this book contained a few surprises, and more detail about things I already was aware of.  An excellent read for anyone with a professional or casual interest in the history of the ancient world.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2023, 10:14:10 PM »

I just finished Quentin Tarantino's book, Cinema Speculation.  It's a sort of combination of film essays and reminiscence of his childhood watching huge numbers of 70s films in various theatres.  Gives you a good idea why his film taste and writing/directorial style is the way it is. Some of the essays get too bogged down in lists of films (Quentin has unbelievable film knowledge, it's obvious) or just were titles that didn't connect with me personally, but there's still a lot of good insights and analysis here, often of films that are less likely to get it.  There's also comparisons of scripted versions VS the final shooting version, and a couple of postulated what ifs (like what if Brian DePalma hadn't passed on Taxi Driver).  I also like Tarantino being willing to knock directors he clearly quite likes and respects - like Scorsese claiming to be "shocked" about how people reacted to the ending of Taxi Driver.  Well worth a read!

NAKED STATUES, FAT GLADIATORS, AND WAR ELEPHANTS - Frequently Asked Questions about the Ancient Greeks and Romans by Garret Ryan

One of my formers students gave me this book as a gift, and it's quite a remarkable read!  I know a good bit about the ancient world, but this book contained a few surprises, and more detail about things I already was aware of.  An excellent read for anyone with a professional or casual interest in the history of the ancient world.

Love books like this one, and I've never heard of it!  Added it to my list.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #186 on: May 23, 2023, 12:42:12 PM »

Superman's Greatest Team-Ups - a collection of highlights from the DC Comics Presents title of the '70s and '80s which paired Superman with a different character each month.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2023, 02:20:00 PM »

I was somewhere the other day where there was NOTHING to read but a book called Child Bride: The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley, which basically trashed Priscilla Presley, making the case that she lied to Elvis, stalked him, misrepresented herself, cheated on him, and took every advantage of him she could, stealing him blind while they were wed, then stomped on Elvis' family after his death (she was his ex-wife, remember, not his widow) and got control of his estate via her minor daughter., cutting Elvis' family out of almost everything whenever she could. In short she is painted as a soap opera-level manipulator and villain who slept and schemed her way to the top, landing the big prize she'd been ruthlessly pursuing for years, and then hurting a generous man who truly loved her and from whom she hid her true nature.

Who knows?

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2023, 08:19:13 AM »

Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis.

It's the sequel book to his mid-80s book Less Than Zero.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2023, 07:23:36 AM »

An Hour Before Daylight, Jimmy Carter's memoir of his boyhood years. It's delightful.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2023, 09:36:09 AM »

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2023, 11:15:56 AM »

Victoria's Daughters, by Jerrold M. Packard. Explores the lives of Queen Victoria's many daughters, especially the ones less well-known to history.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2023, 02:24:18 PM »

AMERICAN CAESAR: General Douglas MacArthur by William Manchester

I have had this book for many years and read it as a teen/twentysomething, but I picked it up for a re-read near the end of this school year and deeply enjoyed it. MacArthur was an incredibly complex man who inspired passionate devotion in some and passionate loathing in others, but his accomplishments are many and genuine - not the least of which was taking the most militant nation on earth and transforming it into a pacifist democracy during his six years as the Supreme Authority over occupied Japan.   Fantastic book!!!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2023, 09:04:26 AM »

New bathroom reading...

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2023, 01:54:56 PM »

The London Seance Society is a disappointing, misrepresented, shallow book, and I regret the time I put into it.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  New! Reading Anything Thread 2.0 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.