Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 27, 2023, 03:48:31 PM
691488 Posts in 52165 Topics by 7375 Members
Latest Member: Floydcon
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]
Author Topic: Alex's even longer post thread.  (Read 118247 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #750 on: January 20, 2023, 05:54:28 AM »

The lure of the weekend is calling, a mere few hours away. Unlike in 60ish days time when my life becomes (temporarily) a permanent weekend (42 working days).  Cheers

Mark wants to plan a leaving do for me. I was asked if there was anyone from outside our office I'd invite. Couldn't think of a single person still in uniform I'd want to. Plenty of folks who have left who I'd be happy to have there. Shame I've either not kept in touch with them, or they live far away. I think I shocked Mark the other day when I told him I missed the pandemic, with all the 'working' from home, spending time with my family and people not having anything that can interfere with our gaming days. Must have been hell on people who hate their families.

22 years of being in this job and I can count the number of people from it that I really give a damn about in it, on my fingers. One of them is out the day before I am.  I have a couple of friends I have kept in touch with since basic training, but mostly I've been happy to let them drift out of my life. I guess I am just not sentimental about these things. Hmm, lets see: Richard, Jamie (both from basic), Scott and Mark (from the boz bay). Maybe Karl. Its a bit soon to tell there I guess since I still work with him. Can't think of anyone else offhand. Got one boss I'd have like kept in touch with, but he doesn't do social media. Might be a few others if I was really to sit down and think about it.

Speaking of Scott, I spoke with him recently. Hoping to go and visit him once I've done my last working day. 

Oh Rev, this might interest you (equally, might not). Some professional body of lawyers looked into the whole D&D OGL and came to the conclusion that everyone should play Call of Cthulhu instead, as lawyers could be the heroes in that game.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 06:33:58 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #751 on: January 20, 2023, 01:12:02 PM »

Oh Rev, this might interest you (equally, might not). Some professional body of lawyers looked into the whole D&D OGL and came to the conclusion that everyone should play Call of Cthulhu instead, as lawyers could be the heroes in that game.

BounceGiggle

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #752 on: January 21, 2023, 05:19:34 AM »

Through the week I found myself actually being hands-on, on a jet. I don't often get to work on them directly anymore. Before its withdrawal from service, I knew the Tornado inside out. There wasn't a bit of avionics kit on that aircraft or that could be attached to it, that I wasn't fully qualified in. I knew how to read the wiring diagrams, track down faults and fix them. When I was doing some stuff on the Typhoon, because I've not done what is called a Q course, we had a someone who had done one working with us. I was chatting away with him and asking what they (Typhoons) were like to work on and how fault finding on them was. He was telling me about how they basically hook it up to a computer and it tells the techies what is wrong and how to fix it.

Made me feel old and out of touch. I liked figuring out what was wrong with stuff and fixing it properly. Mind you, I got to do that a lot more in bays than on squadrons. When I was on the Dambusters, it was a case of when a fault was reported, someone would say "Ok, that is normally this thing that is wrong. Take that box out, put a new one in. If that doesn't fix it, then change this other thing instead" and so on. You didn't really learn the system as much as just learn a rote list of black boxes to remove and replace.

All part of why being 1st line was the least favourite part of my career.

165 days left to go until I am out, but only 42 of them are going to be in uniform. The rest is going to be leave and resettlement.

It is all going towards convincing me I am doing the right thing by leaving. I am no longer the future of the airforce. I fulfilled my ambitions for it and I am leaving on my own terms. Ultimately, no matter how much you put into the military, there simply comes a time when it doesn't need or want you anymore. I am getting to leave on my own terms. My friend Jamie who joined up at the same time as me is terrified of leaving. I think he'll do alright though.

Wonder if the buggers will be cheeky enough to recall me. They have 6 years in theory when they can do that.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #753 on: January 23, 2023, 03:30:11 PM »

I made progress on the stuff dealing with Gina's will. On the one hand I've been slacking there, but on the other I've had lots of other things to do and had to redo work I'd already done when I discovered 2 more bank accounts with significant amounts of money in them.

I think I mentioned about my polar bear excuse for not getting into work. I said to my boss at work about it and he said if I could show him a photo that wasn't some photoshop job on a polar bear on my car with snow, that he would accept it as a legitimate excuse for me to stay home.

Voila.

The car, if anyone is curious is a model of an amphibious German car from WW2.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:38:10 AM by Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #754 on: January 24, 2023, 11:37:55 AM »

It is oh so quiet, so quiet and still.

Been a busy day up until now. For only the second time in my career, I got to see one of our seniors show some real guts and knowing make a decision that could come back to haunt him. It needed to be made though. They've left it a bit late in the day though for that particular cadre to impress me. Everything has been dealt with now though and I am alone in the office.

Got close to having to make a decision myself on whether or not to make a stand that could cost me my pension. If I didn't it would have had serious negative effects on people elsewhere. Fortunately, when it came to the crunch, I didn't have to. Just as well, because for the first time in my career, I was seriously considering not making that stand. My brain kept telling me I was too close to getting my pension to throw it away now. Would I have been disappointed in myself when in the future I looked back had I decided not to make waves? Honestly, I don't know. The human brain is wonderful at providing all sorts of petty justifications for all sorts of actions that we really should regret. I guess I will just have to be satisfied that it didn't come down to that. I do think in the end, I know which position I'd have taken though. It just might have taken more thought than usual to get there.

I just need to make it until mid/late March without having to make one of those decisions now.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #755 on: January 24, 2023, 07:19:32 PM »

It is oh so quiet, so quiet and still.

Been a busy day up until now. For only the second time in my career, I got to see one of our seniors show some real guts and knowing make a decision that could come back to haunt him. It needed to be made though. They've left it a bit late in the day though for that particular cadre to impress me. Everything has been dealt with now though and I am alone in the office.

Got close to having to make a decision myself on whether or not to make a stand that could cost me my pension. If I didn't it would have had serious negative effects on people elsewhere. Fortunately, when it came to the crunch, I didn't have to. Just as well, because for the first time in my career, I was seriously considering not making that stand. My brain kept telling me I was too close to getting my pension to throw it away now. Would I have been disappointed in myself when in the future I looked back had I decided not to make waves? Honestly, I don't know. The human brain is wonderful at providing all sorts of petty justifications for all sorts of actions that we really should regret. I guess I will just have to be satisfied that it didn't come down to that. I do think in the end, I know which position I'd have taken though. It just might have taken more thought than usual to get there.

I just need to make it until mid/late March without having to make one of those decisions now.

Eyes on the Prize, bro, Eyes on the Prize....

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #756 on: January 25, 2023, 10:22:46 AM »

A more even day at work today. Did the monthly task that now consists of our main workload since programming was removed from our section and now it is currently rolling along quietly. I am trying to do what is called clearing, which is a lot of signatures I need to get to leave, but they've changed it from being a paper thing to an online thing and the online thing is broken with no alternative system seemingly in place.

Sounds like normal practice then.

Mark's wife just walked into our office, had a gripe about her working conditions and then announced she wants to quit. Can't say I blame her. We get 2 applicants for every available job, so we can get people with no problem. Keeping them in once they find out what it is really like is the problem. As long as the bean counters see we have people coming in, they don't care. The issue we have on the ground though is the lack of experienced personnel, which the higher-ups don't see. Once you get someone in through the door, it takes a couple of months to get them through basic training, then (for a technical trade), you then have about a year of learning the theory, knowledge and skills needed before you get to go out and touch aircraft. Once you are on them, it takes another year to eighteen months before that person is really experienced enough on the platform to really be effective.

Still, about 2 months to go and it will no longer be my problem.

If I can get cleared anyway...

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #757 on: January 25, 2023, 12:02:36 PM »

I remember in those last months on my job I was so paranoid that something would come up or I'd do something to screw it up and lose retirement that it got to be like a complex. They weren't out to get me, mostly the feeling is when you reach that stage you've earned it, and they even let me undertake some instruction work that I otherwise probably would not have been the obvious choice to do, just to run out the clock, but deep down I was fatalistically certain I was going to mess it up somehow. Wait til you get to the golden day, though, it'll feel like....well I was going to say euphoria, but if you're like me a sense of dread and shock will likely also factor in.  (OMG it's all over...OMG I am losing a third of my pay...OMG I'm so unconnected now...) For twenty-five years of my life I worked for those unethical bloodsuckers, and I delight in spending their pension money every month.....

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Alex's even longer post thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.