Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:28:55 PM
714341 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Looks like they Pict a good spot... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Looks like they Pict a good spot...  (Read 2695 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 14, 2020, 11:25:54 AM »

Some more localish news.

Archaeologists have unearthed a Pictish site believed to be one of the largest ever discovered.

The settlement perched on the Tap O’ Noth hill near Rhynie in Aberdeenshire is among the most extensive examples of ancient life ever found in Scotland.

It encloses an area of around 17 acres and was constructed in the fifth to sixth centuries, holding up to 4000 people – a scale which experts thought was not reached until the 12th century north of the border.

Professor Gordon Noble, who led the University of Aberdeen research, said: “Over the last two years, we have been investigating the lower fort at Tap O’ Noth which is enclosed by a rampart that encircles the lower slopes of the hill.

“The results of the dating were simply incredible.

“They show that the huge fort dated to the fifth to sixth centuries CE and that it was occupied at the same time as the elite complex in the valley at Barflat farm.

“Dating shows that settlement on the hill extended as far back to the third century, but both hut platforms excavated also had fifth to sixth century AD phases.”

The Picts were a confederation of Celtic-speaking communities who lived in the east and north of Scotland during the Late British Iron Age and Early Medieval periods.

Distribution of the buildings at the site suggests they are likely to have been built and occupied at a similar time as many are positioned alongside trackways or clustered together in groups.

Drone surveys also showed that in these groups was one notably larger hut, indicating there may have been some form of hierarchical organisation within the fort.

Tap O’ Noth: Settlement perched on hill in Aberdeenshire

Evidence suggests up to 4000 people may have lived in more than 800 huts perched high on the hill, and scientists believe each would be occupied by four to five people.

Prof Noble added: “That’s verging on urban in scale and in a Pictish context we have nothing else that compares to this.

“We had previously assumed that you would need to get to around the 12th century in Scotland before settlements started to reach this size.

“We obviously need to do more to try and date more of the hut platforms given there are hundreds of them, but potentially we have a huge regional settlement with activity emerging in the Late Roman Iron Age and extending to the sixth century.

“It is truly mind-blowing and demonstrates just how much we still have to learn about settlement around the time that the early kingdoms of Pictland were being consolidated.”

I wonder if Indy could find some good arrowheads around there?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »

Looks like a West Virginia Flat Top..............

At least from this Anglo............

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »

Very cool.  I have one Viking artifact, circa 1000 AD, but nothing Pictish.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 03:22:19 AM »

Some more localish news.

Archaeologists have unearthed a Pictish site believed to be one of the largest ever discovered.

The settlement perched on the Tap O’ Noth hill near Rhynie in Aberdeenshire is among the most extensive examples of ancient life ever found in Scotland.

It encloses an area of around 17 acres and was constructed in the fifth to sixth centuries, holding up to 4000 people – a scale which experts thought was not reached until the 12th century north of the border.

Professor Gordon Noble, who led the University of Aberdeen research, said: “Over the last two years, we have been investigating the lower fort at Tap O’ Noth which is enclosed by a rampart that encircles the lower slopes of the hill.

“The results of the dating were simply incredible.

“They show that the huge fort dated to the fifth to sixth centuries CE and that it was occupied at the same time as the elite complex in the valley at Barflat farm.

“Dating shows that settlement on the hill extended as far back to the third century, but both hut platforms excavated also had fifth to sixth century AD phases.”

The Picts were a confederation of Celtic-speaking communities who lived in the east and north of Scotland during the Late British Iron Age and Early Medieval periods.

Distribution of the buildings at the site suggests they are likely to have been built and occupied at a similar time as many are positioned alongside trackways or clustered together in groups.

Drone surveys also showed that in these groups was one notably larger hut, indicating there may have been some form of hierarchical organisation within the fort.

Tap O’ Noth: Settlement perched on hill in Aberdeenshire

Evidence suggests up to 4000 people may have lived in more than 800 huts perched high on the hill, and scientists believe each would be occupied by four to five people.

Prof Noble added: “That’s verging on urban in scale and in a Pictish context we have nothing else that compares to this.

“We had previously assumed that you would need to get to around the 12th century in Scotland before settlements started to reach this size.

“We obviously need to do more to try and date more of the hut platforms given there are hundreds of them, but potentially we have a huge regional settlement with activity emerging in the Late Roman Iron Age and extending to the sixth century.

“It is truly mind-blowing and demonstrates just how much we still have to learn about settlement around the time that the early kingdoms of Pictland were being consolidated.”

I wonder if Indy could find some good arrowheads around there?

That's a very nice pic  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 11:17:20 PM »

this is just too cool...i have to tell michael about this, for sure. and gabriel.

don't EVEN...EVER!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Looks like they Pict a good spot... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.