Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:18:47 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Driller Killer (1979) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Driller Killer (1979)  (Read 6723 times)
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 15, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »

I had so much fun watching this one!

It is about a serial killer living in New York in the 1970s. You can probably guess his modus operandi by looking at the title  Wink

My favorite part is probably this one scene where two homeless guys are chatting and then the killer pops out of nowhere and just starts drilling them complete with music cues. You have to see it to appreciate it though  Smile

I got the widescreen DVD from Cult Epics. It is selling for about $10 on Amazon. Amazon Prime also has it for free and I believe it is in the public domain or at least in that weird grey area like The Satanic Rites of Dracula where it still makes it to some public domain collections. But most of those prints are HORRIBLE! Before getting the Cult Epics release I tried to watch it on Amazon Prime and stopped before the first scene ended.

Anyway, on that release it comes with commentary by director Abel Ferrara. If you've ever scene some of Bruce Springsteen's more incomprehensible stage raps you've seen how this guy talks. 
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 12:51:59 AM »

I did a review of it somewhere in here...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 01:57:10 AM »

time for me to re-visit this one. I won't lie...it kind of disappointed me when I first saw it. I mean, it gives itself a hell of a name to live up to for a start.

the one bit that stuck out for me was when he shows the painting of a bull (I think?) to some guy and gets told "you're not an artist, you're a technician"

and yes the print I saw was horrible... would like to check it in better quality

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 02:12:14 AM »

I liked it- if only for the reason it looks like NYC when I lived there in 1980.
Actually I love it. It's just so greasy!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:06:02 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
pennywise37

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 03:08:25 AM »

i haven't tried to watch it recently but i did try to a few years back and i thought it was terrible so bad that i shut it off. i'm gonna at some point gonna try watching it again but who knows when ya know?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 04:54:34 AM »

I always crave NYC pizza when I watch this movie. Drippy, greasy, cheesy. With crushed red peppers.
In one scene the Driller Killer is sitting with his girlfriend and some punk rock chick who's their roomie, and they eat pizza. He shoves it in his mouth like he never ate before!  BounceGiggle

I love this movie! It's very low budget and really nihilistic! My kinda movie!  Drink

Small | Large

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:03:51 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 06:06:34 AM »

I always crave NYC pizza when I watch this movie. Drippy, greasy, cheesy. With crushed red peppers.
In one scene the Driller Killer is sitting with his girlfriend and some punk rock chick who's their roomie, and they eat pizza. He shoves it in his mouth like he never ate before!  BounceGiggle

I love this movie! It's very low budget and really nihilistic! My kinda movie!  Drink

http://youtu.be/_oBr_GNHmpY

Abel Ferrara comments on the pizza too on the commentary. He say how tasty it looks in Springsteenanese. I love NYC pizza and wouldn't mind having some during this but the pizza in the movie doesn't look too good to me  Bluesad

It looked like they just took a circle of flat dough and dumped sauce and peppers on it. Where's the cheese  Question

Oh well I guess it helps with the reoccurring visual of lots of red. Also, it's more appetizing than the rabbit shown  Wink
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 06:35:24 AM »

It is gross looking pizza.  BounceGiggle Not nearly enough cheese!
Still makes me want NYC pizza. The best pizza in the world.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
pennywise37

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 02:30:10 AM »

i've never been there but would like to someday maybe i will after all this crap ends
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 09:40:49 AM »

I visited NYC for the first time last year and I must agree, that was the best pizza I have ever had!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
pennywise37

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 04:43:54 PM »

oh i'm not  disagreeing with anyone on that  subject i can't say you are right or wrong because i've never ate it before. kinda like i'd love to Philadelphia to get a Philly Cheese Steak a real one that was actually made there cause they are suppose to be the best.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:12:16 PM by pennywise37 » Logged
chainsaw midget

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 08:05:50 AM »

Driller Killer is greasy and sleazy.  It's the kind of movie that makes you feel dirty just watching it, but it also just feels kinda dull to me.  It had this huge reputation and after watching it I was just thinking ... "Okay.  I'm not really seeing the big deal." 

Also, in my opinion, the best Driller Killer comes from Slumber Party Massacre 2.

The movie makes no sense, but it's a lot of fun.
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 08:24:49 AM »

Driller Killer is greasy and sleazy.  It's the kind of movie that makes you feel dirty just watching it, but it also just feels kinda dull to me.  It had this huge reputation and after watching it I was just thinking ... "Okay.  I'm not really seeing the big deal." 

Also, in my opinion, the best Driller Killer comes from Slumber Party Massacre 2.

The movie makes no sense, but it's a lot of fun.

I miss my Slumber Party collection so much! I used to have 1-3 plus Cheerleader Massacre. The latter I only got because it was incorrectly named as a sequel on IMDB. In reality it is shot on video dreck by Jim Wynorski.

The first three I all got on Deep Discount DVD for $5.99 each. Cheerleader Massacre was more but it’s by far the worst of them. Now I don’t have them anymore and Slumber Massacre 3 is selling for about $8 million last time I checked. Amazon Prime has the first two but it’s just not the same.

Although IIRC SPM 2 is the only one with a unique charismatic killer. 1 and 3 are pretty paint by number slashers despite the cool name. The less said about Cheerleader Massacre, the better.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 11:40:26 AM »

Cheerleader Massacre was horrible. 

I don't even think they wore cheerleader outfits. 

Really, if you want more Slumber Party Massacre, you're best bet it checking out the sister series Sorority House Massacre.  In the case of both Slumber and Sorority, #2 is the best of the series. 
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 12:01:32 PM »

Cheerleader Massacre was horrible. 

I don't even think they wore cheerleader outfits. 

Really, if you want more Slumber Party Massacre, you're best bet it checking out the sister series Sorority House Massacre.  In the case of both Slumber and Sorority, #2 is the best of the series. 

Yes those are great too  Smile
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Driller Killer (1979) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.